Train line noise in residential areas

33 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, RosieF said:

Thanks very much for all the messages. 

Our local station will be Stresemannallee Station, and the apartment is on Waidmannstraße so right near the station. Someone mentioned to me freight trains are more of an issue in terms of noise but would it be common for those to run through a city centre station does anyone know? 

I have been trying to look into this for you.

As far as I can tell, freight trains do go along this line.  There is a freight yard at Frankfurt Ost and trains go along here to get to the yard.  But how often, I can't say.

Also, there appears to be a train depot for S-Bahn trains just outside the station.  So that will mean that you might get more noise and more traffic than just the scheduled trains.

14 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

As far as I can tell, freight trains do go along this line.  There is a freight yard at Frankfurt Ost and trains go along here to get to the yard.  But how often, I can't say.

I have been held up quite frequently by those very long freight trains on this stretch. It is the route the train comes in from Berlin. It is super tricky logistically to get the timings right for all the trains that need to use the junction with the combination of the bridge across the river Main and the fact that Frankfurt main train station is a station where the trains do not go straight through rather come back out the way they came in. 

It is the stop and start noise from the inevitable delays that would personally disturb me more than high volume. But this is my impression as I am sat on the train not experiencing the noise from outside. But I am frequently wondering as I sit and wait, just who lives in these apartments. 

There is a hotel I've stayed at in Solingen that is right by the tracks close to Hbf and there are most definitely freight trains passing through there, even late at night. They are really loud if your windows are open.

People who live close to the tracks will get use to it though. I grew up by an airport and we didn't really notice it anymore.

@RosieF, although I can't say too much about the rail traffic at the exact location of the apartment, I can tell you that it's a nice part of Frankfurt.  There are a lot of amenities around, supermarkets, public transport, etc. Many of the foreign embassies are also based around there, which adds a bit of style as in well-kept older buildings. I've always found that area has a good vibe, you could certainly do a lot worse.

OP,  the locals can advise on the noise factor. 

Make sure your rental lease is not  for more than a year! So , if it is too bad, you are not tied in for longer. Also, join the Mieterverein- great resource for tenants.

Good luck and hope you find a caring neurologist.

When my son Erstling lived in San Diego, he rented an old 3-story-house on A Street, directly in a flight path toward Lindbergh Airport.  The planes were barely 100 feet above his roof, and it was exciting to sit on the back porch and feel a huge rush of air being displaced by the airplane, followed by the sound and then the sight of the plane.  That was noise-and-a-half, but my son's rent was low because of it, and that flight path wasn't used between 10 PM and 6 AM.  One hell of a wake-up call, though.

From what you've said thus far, I'd pass on this location.  I can empathize with your noise sensitivity.  People like us never get "used" to it; instead we are constantly "reminded" of it and perseverate.  

If possible ask your husband to visit the place at night. Freight trains are usually running at night and general noise level is lower. Ask him if he still feels its ok.

And afaik there is a good MSComunity in Germany. For Frankfurt try here

MS society Hessen. Maybe they can recommend physicians.

3 minutes ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

If possible ask your husband to visit the place at night. Freight trains are usually running at night and general noise level is lower. Ask him if he still feels its ok.

I think that's a good idea.  At the hotel where I stayed in Solingen, there were some trains passing by at least every 20 min. so if he sits in his car for an hour during the evening, playing on his phone or whatever, he should hear some trains and get a better idea how loud they are because he's not talking to someone and it's otherwise quiet.  He should have the window open though.  Still, it may not bother him but might bother you.

Thanks very much for all the messages everyone, they've been a huge help. We decided to pass up on the apartment. When my husband looked into it more the noise risk just wasn't worth it as the apartment was on a 2-year lease. We're back on the hunt but making sure to avoid the train lines and major flight paths this time ?? 

On 9/14/2019, 5:40:12, Wherearewegoingto said:

And afaik there is a good MSComunity in Germany. For Frankfurt try here

MS society Hessen. Maybe they can recommend physicians.

Thanks a mill for that ? I've emailed them so hopefully I hear back. My neurologist here in Ireland has also now recommended a couple so it should get sorted soon ?

https://memes.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/2e8dfb73-5cb2-49e6-b950-12b372a8d5e5#B18DPK4-wB.copy

Chicago, the El. The trains go by so often, you won't even notice.

I live about 200m from the Ostbahnhof in Munich. Sometimes I can hear the trains over the street noise. You get used to it. Also, windows in Germany are light years ahead of most places and have sound ratings. Ask your husband to find out how new they are. It makes a difference.

And in urban areas in Germany, if you search far enough, you will find the sound rating level. At least here in Munich they have such a map which details the expected noise level. If you are above a certain level you might get some funding for window upgrades (and landlords love such deals).

I think noise is something you just get used to after a while.  After a few months of living right next a to a busy intersection, the hum just becomes background noise