Train line noise in residential areas

32 posts in this topic

Hi there, 

My husband recently found an apartment he thinks would be perfect for us near the Sachsenhausen area, the only catch is that the train line runs at the back of the building. He said it passed a couple of times while he was there but it runs really slow through residential areas so it's not that loud and he thinks it's something we'll adjust to.

I won't be following him to Germany for a couple of months so won't have a chance to check the noise levels for myself ahead of moving in so I'm worrying about it. How have other people found the noise of living near a train line or would you recommend against it?

My family moved to a house two blocks south of the Midway Airport in Chicago.  Within a couple of weeks we adjusted to the sound of the airplanes.  I expect it will be the same with the train noise. :) 

5 hours ago, RosieF said:

My husband recently found an apartment he thinks would be perfect for us near the Sachsenhausen area, the only catch is that the train line runs at the back of the building. He said it passed a couple of times while he was there but it runs really slow through residential areas so it's not that loud and he thinks it's something we'll adjust to.

Here is a link to the public transport map for FFM:

https://www.rmv.de/c/fileadmin/documents/PDFs/_RMV_DE/Linien_und_Netze/Streckennetz/Liniennetzplaene/RMV-Schnellbahnplan.pdf

If you could identify which would be your local station then people who live around there can share their experiences. 

I do not live in Frankfurt but do travel their for business by train. There are a lot of residential properties backing onto the tracks around FFM Sued and I have often wondered about the noise levels as it is super busy with local trains as well as regional express trains and intercity trains.

28 minutes ago, katheliz said:

My family moved to a house two blocks south of the Midway Airport in Chicago.  Within a couple of weeks we adjusted to the sound of the airplanes.  I expect it will be the same with the train noise. :) 

Again, would you like to share which decade this move took place? 

Since @Kommentarlos is like a dog with a bone - yes, it was a long time ago.  But Midway was already known as the busiest airport in the US, though it's long since lost that honor.  And noise is noise.  The noise was more noticeable at my elementary school, which was on the other side of a cyclone fence, and planes used to prepare for take-off within 100 feet of our building.  That was noisy, and the vibrations shook the school enough that the school was finally demolished and relocated elsewhere.  

I believe trains don't make as much noise as airplanes, and train noise is what concerned OP. 

Let's leave this with a smile, reverting to the Irish saying, 'A man can get used to anything, even being hanged.' 

7 hours ago, RosieF said:

My husband ... said it passed a couple of times while he was there but it runs really slow through residential areas so it's not that loud and he thinks it's something we'll adjust to.

Is there any reason not to trust your husband on this one?

Unless he is deaf in one ear, I think you should take his word for it, and find something better to worry about - there are so many other things to take care of when moving!

As a 12 year old kid I moved into a place which had a level crossing and train line about 50m away with no obstacles in between.  My bedroom was the closest and overlooked it all.

Within a couple of weeks we had all totally adjusted to the noise and didn't notice.  Even the level crossing going down, with the alarm, didn't disturb us any more.

Most trains were slow, as they had stopped or were stopping at the station which was 400m away.  The occasional one went through at up to 160km/h.  We also used to get large freight trains going through at 100 - 140 km/h on the way to a major port.  They would make the whole house shake and they would occasionally wake you up also.

And about once every 5 years they would do maintenance overnight, which definitely kept you awake the whole night!

We moved about 5-6 years later so I can't talk about the long term effects.

Having said that it didn't really disturb us, I would not repeat the experience.  I also know that there are campaigns in the Mittle-Rhein areas again train noise (I have see reports online) and studies claiming that there are long-term health effects.

I lived around 20m from the main railway line into Köln for two years when I first moved to Germany. The apartment was on the 3rd floor so over the height of the wall. Rent was cheap but we got noise and vibrations. The apartment was midway between stations so trains passed at high speed plus you didn't even get the convenience of being near the station.

I got used to it but really found it nicer when we moved to a (relatively) quieter area. It was only when I had left that I realised how noisy it was. 

1 hour ago, robinson100 said:

Unless he is deaf in one ear, I think you should take his word for it, and find something better to worry about - there are so many other things to take care of when moving!

I absolutely understand what you mean Rob, but the viewing of the apartment would have been for an hour at most, and during the day. What about nights and weekends, and in summer when the windows are open. It's really something to think about, it may be fine, but if someone is sensitive to noise, that could be a problem. 

2 hours ago, katheliz said:

And noise is noise.

Not really. 

I have been stuck in Sachsenhausen area many times on both regional and intercity trains on the way into the main train station with the train crawling along due to delays. This is not a realistic impression of the level of noise in the area. Which may have been the case during an apartment viewing. And presumably why the OP asked the question.

Hence I provided a map and suggested the OP indicated more directly where in Sachsenhausen the property was located, then someone who lives locally might be able to comment on the noise level on the relevant stretch of track. There are other tracks going down to Langen where the properties are further set back and the train frequency lesser which might be ok if you are not particularly noise sensitive. 

So I do not know. But have suggested a possible solution. 

You do not know either and should know better by now. Lets leave it at that. :rolleyes:

The OP doesn't specify if the train lines are actually for trains or for trams. Both can be noisy, but they are different. An actual location would give us all a better idea. 

When I was living next to tram lines I had the bedroom window replaced with a noise-protection window (there are noise protection levels 1 - 5) and the roller shutter casing lined with lead. That helped a lot. (A few years later the municipality replaced the old noisy rails with rubber bedded ones which were much less noisy). Maybe you could discuss with your landlord whether he´d be prepared to at least share that cost if it turns out to be necessary.

On balance I would rather be next to a train line than a motorway. But both are noisy and the air is polluted and constant low frequency vibration are things you only notice when you get away, as someone else said above. Depending on how sensitive OP already is to noise the problem could be more or less inconvenient. I grew up on the doorstep of a steelworks and only realised the noise was constant when it ceased for stop fortnight in the summer. My nerves were shattered in my late 20s living in a seriously noisy city and I still cannot stand the sound of a pneumatic drill 30 years later. Working next to the Hauptbahnhof in Munich was indefinably exhausting. Seldom do we experience complete silence nowadays - even the skies are a-growling and a-rumbling most of the time.

When silence happens you feel it on your skin and it is akin to being bathed in bliss.

Individual perception of noise is subjective. I would also be wary of taking someone else's word that noise would not be troublesome for me. Having said that you are going to have to live somewhere. Maybe go with the flow and agree in advance that if it is worse than you expected you will move.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

.,.. Maybe you could discuss with your landlord whether he´d be prepared to at least share that cost if it turns out to be necessary.

With the rental market in Frankfurt as it is, then the landlord has a choice of who they rent to so they would simply select somebody else who is not so 'troublesome'!

8 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

Here is a link to the public transport map for FFM:

https://www.rmv.de/c/fileadmin/documents/PDFs/_RMV_DE/Linien_und_Netze/Streckennetz/Liniennetzplaene/RMV-Schnellbahnplan.pdf

If you could identify which would be your local station then people who live around there can share their experiences. 

I do not live in Frankfurt but do travel their for business by train. There are a lot of residential properties backing onto the tracks around FFM Sued and I have often wondered about the noise levels as it is super busy with local trains as well as regional express trains and intercity trains.

Thanks very much for all the messages. 

Our local station will be Stresemannallee Station, and the apartment is on Waidmannstraße so right near the station. Someone mentioned to me freight trains are more of an issue in terms of noise but would it be common for those to run through a city centre station does anyone know? 

6 hours ago, robinson100 said:

Thanks for your concern over my moving worries 😝. Ensuring we're able to get a good night's sleep in the next few years is fairly important. I will also be working from home so noise is a major issue for me. I have MS too and so getting sufficient sleep and daily naps is vital if I'm to function correctly and prevent future relapses, hence why this is important to sort out now.

The flipside however is that as my mobility is also poor living near transport links is important as it means I'm not isolated and can get out and about, so it's a balancing act between noise levels and transport links. 

We live in Dublin in a reasonable quiet area so I get that there will be a noise adjustment process when we move to Frankfurt, I just want to know exactly how bad train noise is to live beside or is it more of a low hum like living near a road? And are freight trains louder at night?

I suspect also that my husband probably is deaf in one ear, mostly when I'm asking him to hang out the washing or clean up 😂