Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to Asia for 9 months, what do I need to do officially?

2 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I've been in Berlin for 10 years and decided to go to try out teaching in Vietnam from October this year to June 2020 (about 9 months). I am a UK national but also have (as of Tuesday!) German citizenship.

My question is, to what extent do I need to "abmelden" from everything here?

I've already got permission from my Hausverwaltung to sublet one room of the apartment I share with my bf (he's staying here while a friend moves in).

But should I "abmelden" myself from the apartment? One advantage of doing that, I understand, is I can then get out of contracts (eg phone contract) that I won't be needing while abroad.

And re: health insurance, I have quit my job, effective 30. September. Should I just quit my health insurance altogether or go for a Anwartschaft (reduced rate "dormancy" of my insurance)?

If I don't de-register from my apartment would I still legally be then "living in Germany" and therefore required to pay health insurance?

And is there anything else I forgot about? :rolleyes:

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. 

I wanted to keep my apartment and maintain my health insurance status so I did not abmelden and went onto an Anwartsschaft with TK. It was all very easy.  Personally I chose this route as I wanted to make sure I could reenter the public health system and that way there were no discrepancies.  I wanted things to be as smooth as possible when I returned.

if you don’t deregister, you have to keep paying health insurance.