Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

North Sea ferries

23 posts in this topic

I will be driving over to the UK next week and wanted to book a ferry from Oostende to Dover and it seems that the service 

has been stopped. Did I miss something?

I always use https://www.dfds.com/en Dunkirk to Dover.  It's a few km on from Ostend.

Good prices and if you're late or early you can get on one ferry earlier or later at no extra charge.  Also Ostend/Dover was three hours as opposed to the two on this journey.

9 hours ago, French bean said:

Why to Dover?

What's your suggestion?

Why slum it with ferries full stop?

The Eurotunnel is far quicker and far more reliable than the ferries.

Aren't there very time-consuming border checks, because of illegal refugees trying to get to the other side? 

Anyway, Scotland wants to set up a new ferry line with Holland before Brexit. We have two now: Hoek van Holland- Harwich and Hoek van Holland- Newcastle.

14 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

What's your suggestion?

Why slum it with ferries full stop?

The Eurotunnel is far quicker and far more reliable than the ferries.

Well, unless you're going specifically to the South East or the south coast, you could try going into Harwich. Now the A12 is dual carriageway all the way to the M11 it's pretty quick and avoids the M25. I think it's Zeebrugge to Harwich with an overnight cabin.

Eurotunnel... PAH! I will travel to the Yewkay the way god intended, by boat. Oostende was the idea because I rather like the place, I was planning to have a few bowls of hot whelks on the promenade before getting ransacked on Belgian beer and spending a night in a hotel I like.

Calais to Dover is hardly enough of a trip to be worth a mention, so is Dunkirk. But I have found a overnight ferry for 207 Euros from the Hook to Harwich, (Newcastle being a bit too expensive by ringing the till at almost 400 Euros) so from 22:00 to 6:30 there is time for a few beers, a show and a long mindless stare into the inky black brine of the North sea and some kip before the long haul to Blackburn.

And in Harwich I get a trip down memory land and do a bit of historic navel-searching from my time as crew on the Hamburg to Harwich ferry Prinz Hamlet.

Just now, French bean said:

Well, unless you're going specifically to the South East or the south coast, you could try going into Harwich. Now the A12 is dual carriageway all the way to the M11 it's pretty quick and avoids the M25. I think it's Zeebrugge to Harwich with an overnight cabin.

Either you ain't gotta a clue or your geography is shit.

First Hook of Holland goes to Harwich not Zeebrugge which is in Belgium

Second the A12 is a dual carriageway but it does not go all the way to the M11.

You connect to the M11 either by the M25, A414, A120 or A14.

Third, in all the years I've been going back and forth I've tried every route known to mankind and the Eurotunnel is still the best regardless of the M25 and the Dartford crossing and I must of done this crossing now nearly 200 times.

Why so aggressive?

First I said I think.

Next I should have said A120, but my error could have been more politely put forward.

thirdly, what's right for you may not be right for everyone else. Again, someone heading north to be Midlands will have no reason to go to Dover and deal with the hassle of the of M25.

9 minutes ago, slammer said:

Eurotunnel... PAH! I will travel to the Yewkay the way god intended, by boat. Oostende was the idea because I rather like the place, I was planning to have a few bowls of hot whelks on the promenade before getting ransacked on Belgian beer and spending a night in a hotel I like.

Calais to Dover is hardly enough of a trip to be worth a mention, so is Dunkirk. But I have found a overnight ferry for 207 Euros from the Hook to Harwich, (Newcastle being a bit too expensive by ringing the till at almost 400 Euros) so from 22:00 to 6:30 there is time for a few beers, a show and a long mindless stare into the inky black brine of the North sea and some kip before the long haul to Blackburn.

I've done the Hook of Holland route a few times and gave up.

The boat docks around 04.00 to 04.30 to offload freight then the passengers can disembark, I've never managed to get a good nights sleep.

Food is expensive, beer is expensive and when you have done this trip as many times as I have then trust me there are far better options.

Good luck with your crossing.

3 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

I've done the Hook of Holland route a few times and gave up.

The boat docks around 04.00 to 04.30 to offload freight then the passengers can disembark, I've never managed to get a good nights sleep.

Food is expensive, beer is expensive and when you have done this trip as many times as I have then trust me there are far better options.

Good luck with your crossing.

I tried the tunnel on a motorbike, call me a romantic but I found it bland and unexciting. On, 20 minutes trying not to look at somebody and be forced to start a conversation. I am in no push so a nice boat trip will do me fine.

7 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

I am looking into this route. That is very helpful info. Thank you.

9 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Anyway, Scotland wants to set up a new ferry line with Holland before Brexit. We have two now: Hoek van Holland- Harwich and Hoek van Holland- Newcastle.

Plus Rotterdam -> Hull  (also Zeebrugge -> Hull, but that is not in Holland!)

And the Newcastle ferry goes from IJmuiden (not Rotterdam/Hoek)

I done the Hoek van Holland -> Harwich a couple of times when they had the catamaran, which I found good.  But the prices got too high in the end, and they had financial problems and pulled this and now only offer the overnight ferry.

We also used to do the catamaran on the Calais -> Dover route (Hoverspeed) which tended to be slightly quicker and cheaper than the ferries, and because they were smaller it was quicker to get on/off, but again they had financial problems and closed down.

Everything depends

When I have driven 9 hours to one of the ports, I like going on the ferry - at least a couple of hours - to give me chance to recover - the 40 min trip in the tunnel, without fresh air just does not do it.

Of course if you travel from Berlin, its not so far and maybe would not want it

if you do go to Dover and travel by the Dartford Crossing/bridge make sure you pay, you can just drive through now, many people think O its free, then get a fine for not paying - you can pay online

https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge/charges-fines

I have done the overnight from Newcastle to IJmuiden a few times, the last time on a motorbike so the expense was not too eye-watering. The boat was comfortable, it had a cruise vibe to it and I really enjoyed the trip. The next day however was rain, rain, rain strong enough to drown on the bike. I am still soggy in places even after all these years.

I always wanted to go over on the hovercraft but never quite made it, in fact I saw the very last Hovercraft leave Calais in 2000 if I remember correctly.

14 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Seems there is now a crossing to Grimsby/Killinghome. 

But only space for 12 passengers...

Handy for those travelling "up north"

Freight crossings

But this is freight only!

https://www.freightlink.co.uk/knowledge/faq/can-i-book-bicycle-motorbike-or-passenger-car-freight-ferry

Can I book a bicycle, motorbike or passenger car on a freight ferry?

No. We can only take ferry bookings for freight vehicles including commercial vans, HGVs and similar vehicles.