All my heater meters went bonkers during hot weather

3 posts in this topic

In April & May 2018 during the hot weather, all 5 of the newly-installed ISTA heater-meters in my flat went crazy and were registering massive amounts of usage. It stopped counting June 1st because that's when the "summer mode" engages with a higher upper temperature threshold (see attached image from here:

https://www.ista.com/fileadmin/twt_customer/countries/content/Germany/Documents/Loesungen/Funk/Heizkostenverteiler/Produktbroschuere_Heizkostenverteiler_doprimo_3_ready.pdf ).

The wireless ISTA meters report my monthly use and according to the Jahresabrechnung that I just received, it cost me an extra 300 euro. I live here a dozen years and this never happened with the old meters.

An ISTA tech came by and denied there was any problem and my Hausverwaltung is now ignoring my emails. I fear this will happen again.

Do I have any other recourse other than filling out this Verbraucherzentrale Heizkostenabrechnung Widerspruch form? https://www.verbraucherzentrale.de/sites/default/files/2017-09/Widerspruch-Heizkostenabrechnung.docx

This was ISTA's fluff reply to my complaints:

"Eine weitere Ursache können lagebedingte Sommerzählimpulse sein.

Der Gesetzgeber war sich durchaus bewusst, dass es durch das Procedere der Heizkostenabrechnung zur Erfassung lagebedingter Unterschiede kommt. Dies betrifft u. a. ja auch den Minderbedarf bei mittleren Etagen mittlerer Aufgänge (so genannte „eingebaute“ Wohnungen), aber auch Mehrmengen für Erdgeschoss- und Giebelwohnungen und die Sommerzählimpulse bei Mehrfamilienhäusern, insbesondere in Dachgeschosswohnungen und auch Sommergärten. Daher hat er den Gebäudeeigentümern bei der Abrechnung auch einen Grundanteil für die Heizkosten eingeräumt. Für die Berücksichtigung etwaiger Sommerzählimpulse ist jedoch kein Ausnahmeregularium geschaffen worden. Eine „Herausrechnung“ findet nicht statt."

Note: Part of the problem was the building heating was still on during this period and this contributed to the false readings because the warm pipes can still heat a heater which is turned off. I don't have a master heater shutoff valve but may have to install one to stop this from happening every year.

Screenshot_2019-09-08 Produktbroschuere_Heizkostenverteiler_doprimo_3_ready pdf(1).png

So they gave it to you in writing that their calculation may be factually wrong and that they know about it ("etwaige Sommerzählimpulse....Herausrechnung findet nicht statt."). Good for you.

Get advise from the local Mieterbund and pay the 300 EUR while reserving all your rights only.

You may not be entitled to install a master valve without your landlord's written approval.