De-Registration in Bremen

10 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I am a Canadian and I lived in Bremen from Feburary - June 2019, and I came home to Canada from July-October 2019, and I will return to Bremen in October 2019. I did not deregister before I left Bremen in June because I knew I would be coming back - is this ok? Or should i deregister now (I believe I can mail in the forms?), and register again when I go back?

I had a visa for my first trip and will get a second visa for my next visit in October. When I return, I will be living in the same flat, just a different room - does this mean I need to register this as an address change? 

Thanks for any help!!

Becky

No, I purchased a private health insurance for my first visit and will purchase it again to cover the time for my second visit. Apparently, according to the university, since I'm a PhD student, I do not require public health insurance.

18 hours ago, rbreau said:

No, I purchased a private health insurance for my first visit and will purchase it again to cover the time for my second visit. Apparently, according to the university, since I'm a PhD student, I do not require public health insurance.

That's pretty bad/lazy advice. Whoever told you that is probably themselves clueless. Do you have any kind of job at the uni? Doctoral positions usually come with some sort of paid work. If that's the case, then I would get on one of the standard German insurers than some private travel insurance, even if you don't 'require' it.

Or are you simply 'visiting'? What kind of visa did you enter on?

On 2019-09-06, 8:01:27, alderhill said:

That's pretty bad/lazy advice. Whoever told you that is probably themselves clueless. Do you have any kind of job at the uni? Doctoral positions usually come with some sort of paid work. If that's the case, then I would get on one of the standard German insurers than some private travel insurance, even if you don't 'require' it.

Or are you simply 'visiting'? What kind of visa did you enter on?

Thank you for your reply. I entered on a youth mobitility visa and I was funded by a Canadian scholarship, so I did not work at all at the Uni or anywhere else during my time in Bremen, I was just visitng to conduct research. Before I enrolled as a student, I was required to get my health insurance checked/validated and a representative from AOK explained to me why I did not require public health insurance and that the insurance I had purchased was sufficient. 

34 minutes ago, rbreau said:

Thank you for your reply. I entered on a youth mobitility visa and I was funded by a Canadian scholarship, so I did not work at all at the Uni or anywhere else during my time in Bremen, I was just visitng to conduct research. Before I enrolled as a student, I was required to get my health insurance checked/validated and a representative from AOK explained to me why I did not require public health insurance and that the insurance I had purchased was sufficient. 

I see, so you're  more of a 'visiting scholar' than a real student. 

Whether it was/is OK, well no is the answer, especially if your YMV was due to expire. If you were leaving at the end of your visa, you should've deregistered. But I'd guess the lapse can be quietly ignored as you'll soon be in the same address anyhow. Remember, you should register your address while here and de-register when you leave. It's a bit odd, but that's how it is here, and it's neither hard nor overly time-consuming to do.

On an slightly different note, the YMV can only be had twice so far as I know. So to use it for only three months at a stretch within the same year seems a bit of a waste, non?

9 minutes ago, alderhill said:

I see, so you're  more of a 'visiting scholar' than a real student. 

Whether it was/is OK, well no is the answer, especially if your YMV was due to expire. If you were leaving at the end of your visa, you should've deregistered. But I'd guess the lapse can be quietly ignored as you'll soon be in the same address anyhow. Remember, you should register your address while here and de-register when you leave. It's a bit odd, but that's how it is here, and it's neither hard nor overly time-consuming to do.

On an slightly different note, the YMV can only be had twice so far as I know. So to use it for only three months at a stretch within the same year seems a bit of a waste, non?

Yes, I think I fall under "Visting researcher". My YMV covered the entire time I was there during my last visit and for my next visit in October I will have a study visa. Now, I understand that I need to de-register when I leave for good, but I want to make sure I won't get in trouble for not registering again when I return in October? I think it would be ok since I never de registered and am living in the same place but I don't know forsure as Germany is very different than Canda!

If you were still under the same visa, I guess you could argue you were just travelling out of the country/visiting home, so that's why you didn't deregister. Since you're living at the same address, it's of little consequence. Whether you will get in trouble, well, the only way is to tempt fate and confess to the Bürgeramt your terrible wicked deeds! It's not like the police will be waiting to nab you when yo re-enter. No one is actively keeping track, it's just your duty that's all. Under the circumstances, I wouldn't worry.

Where in Canada are you from? What brought you to Bremen?