German Citizenship Hamburg

1 post in this topic

Hi All,

I have a question regarding applying for German citizenship in Hamburg and really appreciate your feedback.

A short description of myself. I am currently living in Germany for the last 7 year and originally from India. In the first 2 years of my stay, I was a student and have been working for the last 5 years and hold a Permanent residency (Niderlassungserlaubnis) for more than a year and currently live in Hamburg.

I was researching a bit regarding the eligibility for applying for a German Citizenship and there seem to be different rules for each state. I understand I had to have lived in Germany for 8 years to apply for citizenship and the eligibility can be reduced to 6 years on some special conditions.  So here are the following questions regarding the eligibility for applying for citizenship in Hamburg

1. Does Hamburg consider my study period ( 2 years) for citizenship or do I have to wait for 2 more years?

2. I have done my B1  (not through Integration course) and Orientation exam. Does this help reduce my eligibility to 7 years or I need to have an Integration course certificate for B1?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Regards,

Mahendra.