Suggestions please for warm November getaway

30 posts in this topic

My daughter is feeling a bit down due to the  grey Ireland weather. So I promised her a week's holiday (with baby) in November.

She was in Lanzarote last February and loved it, and I remember fondly an intransit day in Tenerife many years ago. The temperature should still be warm then. But it's a four hour flight.

Any suggestions for somewhere really warm in early November, and maybe not so far from Dublin?

Not the Balearic Islands in November - usually OK in September & dodgy in October.

(In one week's time we will have just arrived on Ibiza...)

Probably not much alternative to Canary islands.  Egypt & co are even further away.

13 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

OH , just turn up the heating, fluffy blanket, good book or a movie set in Queensland! 

Plus tea and crumpets;)

Nope, that won't do it! Already at it. 

I'm OK, off to Guyana next week. 

The closest sunny place to Dublin I can think of is Almeria, in Southeastern Spain. A friend of mine is from a small town near there which is completely surrounded by plastic greenhouses because the sunny winter weather means they can grow all sort of vegetables very efficiently under plastic even in December. It's called "El Ejido". Look it up in Google Maps. It's freaky how the town seems to float next to a sea of white polyethylene. 

Anyway, the also have beaches as it's right on the coast. 

One problem is that flights to Almeria are expensive so you might have to fly to Malaga instead and then drive. You are of course not guaranteed to have nice weather. This is just statistically the sunniest area in southwestern Europe. 

Anywhere around the southern Med should still be nice and sunny, but there might still be cold days and wet days.

Malta, Israel, Egypt (not with a baby perhaps), in addition to the suggestions above are all options.

But be aware that in most places the tourist places will be closed as it is out of season and hotel will shut down some facilities.  This also includes a lot of restaurants!  Also, in places which rely on solar for hot water then you might have issues (this was the case in Rhodes for example).

Another point, is that a lot of these hot countries don't have any heating!!  So, if you do have a couple of cold days then you will be very cold, so you at least need to find a place that offers a fire (if you go self catering/private cottage) or advertises having heating.

A few years ago I was in Tunisia in Jan/Feb (work trip) and the heating in the hotel failed and it was freezing cold inside, around 5 - 8 outside, but beautifully sunny!  

Cape Verdi  - Warm all year round

Is Madera warm in November, its further north of the canary Islands! I was there couple years ago, and found there was not really many real sand beaches - most are artificially made - heard the smaller Island to the North of Madeira has nicer beaches - depeds what you are looking for.

Trouble, with going < 6 hours, is that a lot of people are looking for the same thing, so prices go up Sometimes, its cheaper to get a flight to Asia, than it is to the rest of Europe. - but a longer flight

This might help. A list of European cities sorted by sunshine hours in the month of November. The data is taken from Wikipedia and unfortunately, many good candidates are not listed, e.g. Málaga, Sicily...

Sunshine hours for selected cities in Europe
Country City Nov
Cyprus Nicosia 213
Greece Ierapetra 201
Malta Valletta 195
Spain Madrid 157
France Marseille 156
Portugal Lisbon 156
Spain Barcelona 153
Greece Athens 144
Armenia Yerevan 138
Italy Rome 129
Albania Tirana 127
Montenegro Podgorica 126
Russia Sochi 120
North Macedonia Skopje 115
Bulgaria Sofia 106
Georgia Tbilisi 103
Turkey Istanbul 102
Serbia Belgrade 97
Romania Bucharest 87
Bosnia and Herzegovina Sarajevo 81
Moldova Chișinău 75
United Kingdom London 73
Ireland Dublin 71
United Kingdom Edinburgh 71
Hungary Budapest 69
France Paris 68
Austria Vienna 66
Belgium Brussels 66
Croatia Zagreb 66
Italy Milan 66
Slovenia Ljubljana 66
Netherlands Amsterdam 62
Slovakia Bratislava 60
Ukraine Kiev 60
Czech Republic Prague 54
Sweden Stockholm 54
Germany Berlin 51
Germany Frankfurt 51
Norway Oslo 51
Switzerland Zurich 50
Sweden Gothenburg 47
Denmark Copenhagen 46
Iceland Reykjavik 41
Belarus Minsk 39
Latvia Riga 39
Poland Warsaw 39
Finland Helsinki 36
Lithuania Vilnius 33
Russia Moscow 33
Estonia Tallinn 29
Faroe Islands Tórshavn 20

Yeah, Cyprus topping the list! I knew it. Mostly, it's more than 20 degrees in November. Everybody speaks English. Not in time, but cheap public transport and good food with excellent local wines.

17 hours ago, Lavender Rain said:

it's true that it never gets cold there, but it also never gets very warm either - it's living in the twilight zone of weather patterns.   The Azores are wonderful, but not what I would choose if I wanted a warm, sunny weather. 

Luckily I don't like very warm weather, and I am also of the opinion that it can be "too sunny" in some places.  I visited in November one year and it was pretty damned special.  It rains very frequently, though not "a lot" - it's hard to describe but the net effect is that each and every day the sky was periodically filled with rainbows from these weird, misty, passing showers they get.  I stayed in smaller towns, some of which are very popular in summer when it's a wee bit warmer (only a wee bit), but everything was pretty much shut down at that time of year.  

more cows than people.  I experienced several days of wandering the countryside without seeing another person til I got back to town, and when I did see people they'd glare at me intensely.  Then eventually, after seeing me on the road/street for a few days running, they started waving madly, smiling and yelling greetings at me.   my kind of place :)

I highly recommend a visit, but the weather is not what I would describe as sunny or warm.

Cyprus in November is perfect. Actually until mid December. Living there and loving it.

I would go with Malta (I am a tad unbiased though) end of October to mid December is the so-called "second sommer" when the october storms have come and gone. I could go swimming until beginning of December then it was time to get the winter t-shirts out and get the thicker bedding instead of just a cover.

On 04/09/2019, 23:12:36, Smaug said:

The closest sunny place to Dublin I can think of is Almeria, in Southeastern Spain. A friend of mine is from a small town near there which is completely surrounded by plastic greenhouses because the sunny winter weather means they can grow all sort of vegetables very efficiently under plastic even in December. It's called "El Ejido". Look it up in Google Maps. It's freaky how the town seems to float next to a sea of white polyethylene. 

Anyway, the also have beaches as it's right on the coast. 

One problem is that flights to Almeria are expensive so you might have to fly to Malaga instead and then drive. You are of course not guaranteed to have nice weather. This is just statistically the sunniest area in southwestern Europe. 

I'd go with that. We spent 10 days in Cádiz (Southwestern Spain) in December a few years ago. Not boiling but was lovely none the less. Not very busy. But it gave us the chance to drive around and see places like Jerez, Gibraltar...

2 hours ago, theGman said:

I'd go with that. We spent 10 days in Cádiz (Southwestern Spain) in December a few years ago. Not boiling but was lovely none the less. Not very busy. But it gave us the chance to drive around and see places like Jerez, Gibraltar...

Always wanted to go to Gibraltar, sailed past it oodles of times but never landed.

2 minutes ago, slammer said:

Always wanted to go to Gibraltar, sailed past it oodles of times but never landed.

I went for a business trip a few years ago.  Unfortunately I was only there 1 day and didn't see anything, other than the Airport and a walk down the main street.

But it was nice as it was a beautiful day in February and I hadn't seen the sun for what felt like 3 -4 months!

10 minutes ago, slammer said:

It's a funky place. We parked on the Spanish side. Waited for a plane to land and then walked across the runway into Gibraltar. Cobbled streets and red letter boxes in the Spanish sun. With a few monkeys for good measure.

On 9/5/2019, 10:29:45, yesterday said:

Cape Verdi  - Warm all year round

Is Madera warm in November, its further north of the canary Islands!

Could be warm, but could also be very wet, can change fast in that time of the year.

On 9/5/2019, 10:29:45, yesterday said:

I was there couple years ago, and found there was not really many real sand beaches - most are artificially made - heard the smaller Island to the North of Madeira has nicer beaches - depeds what you are looking for.

Yes, Porto Santo (nordern island) is actually much better for beach time and scuba. 1h by ship.