Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Telekom or MNet?

21 posts in this topic

I was a loyal MNet customer until a year ago, when I started to have problems with the slow internet. Their employees were not that helpful when I asked several times (over many months) if they could at least give me an approximate date for that much advertised GlassFiber connection. So I switched to Telekom. Now I see a note in our building that MNet is offering GlassFiber connection and they will help with the Umstellung. Telekom performance is not fantastic, but better than what MNet used to provide.

I don't yet know what it might cost to switch. At times their salesmen in MediaMarkt outlets offer free option to switch, but only if you decide instantly. Is it worth switching back to MNet?

You will have to wait until your current contract is due to run out, otherwise you will be charged the full remaining amount by Telekom for terminating early. 

1 hour ago, seeking said:

Telekom performance is not fantastic, but better than what MNet used to provide.

That's very unspecific.

32 minutes ago, sneaker said:

That's very unspecific.

I know what you mean, but I can't now give the speed I had measured of MNet then. Since they kept advertising that they had GlassFiber I asked for switching to GF, but they were never sure of a date. Meanwhile the performance was also rather slow (no, no numbers). 

Do you know if M-Net is a reseller?

If you are dealing with a reseller, then your installation and any complaints about service outages might seem like they are being ignored because the reseller will be dependent on the seller.     Unless the savings is huge and you can afford outages or a delay installation, i would think twice before switching.   

1 minute ago, balticus said:

Do you know if M-Net is a reseller?

If you are dealing with a reseller, then your installation and any complaints about service outages might seem like they are being ignored because the reseller will be dependent on the seller.     Unless the savings is huge and you can afford outages or a delay installation, i would think twice before switching.   

I am sure M-Net is the supplier. I will confirm this when I see the service person who is going to visit our building soon.

LOL at cult bias pretending to know anything about German telecoms, desperately hoping to build forum cred. Of course M-Net is a provider. They also install their own optical fiber.

@seeking: If you really think you need "up to" 300 mbps, go for M-Net at the next opportunity to cancel your Telekom contract. In my experience, however, the 50 mbps that Telekom provides with DSL is more than enough, unless you're streaming on multiple devices around the clock.

I switched. Now that M-Net has laid a fiberglass cable right to the door, I get better speed for the same monthly rent, no other costs, low price guaranteed for 2 years no matter how long it takes to cancel the Telekom contract (max a year, may be sooner). Now that I watch Smart TV more often, it helps to have a better speed for the same price.

41 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

LOL at cult bias pretending to know anything about German telecoms, desperately hoping to build forum cred. Of course M-Net is a provider.

@seeking: If you really think you need "up to" 300 mbps, go for M-Net at the next opportunity to cancel your Telekom contract. In my experience, however, the 50 mbps that Telekom provides with DSL is more than enough, unless you're streaming on multiple devices around the clock.

I have always found M-Net very good with service, they even sent someone to install the rooter when I switched from 1und1 a couple of years ago. Also when I switched they did all the Kündigung for me, just had to wait till the 1und1 contract expired, (no early termination, or charges). As per @El Jeffo 50 mbps meets all my needs including HD streaming.

3 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I have always found M-Net very good with service, they even sent someone to install the rooter when I switched from 1und1 a couple of years ago. Also when I switched they did all the Kündigung for me, just had to wait till the 1und1 contract expired, (no early termination, or charges). As per @El Jeffo 50 mbps meets all my needs including HD streaming.

I agree with the above. I was with M-Net for a whole decade before i switched. Only the year before I switched was the service quality a little less than I expected. They will now do all that I need for switching back to M-Net.

MNet (DSL) is like all other providers: they are at the mercy of Telekom for a lot of issues, and Telekom is [big surprise] merciless. 

I'm more or less happy with MNet's fiber service. 

Does someone have any sources or tips on how to find out if the company is a provider or a supplier?

I've been with 1und1 since I moved here and was always more than satisfied. When I moved to my new apartment, I was back to 25Mbps, but they changed it to 50 very quickly. Then approximately at the same time Telekom starts knocking on my door, offering their own service, and my connection becomes a bit less stable. I was wondering if they have a way of influencing the others like that.

3 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

MNet (DSL) is like all other providers: they are at the mercy of Telekom for a lot of issues, and Telekom is [big surprise] merciless. 

I'm more or less happy with MNet's fiber service. 

But now they have the rights to lay the fiber optic cable all the way to the door. M-Net may still have to depend on DT for other infrastructure such as cell towers, but that may not directly affect the end customer. In any case, I have signed up to switch to M-Net now. I was quite happy with their service before. Now I just have to wait to when DT will let go of my existing contract with them.

3 hours ago, zmai said:

Does someone have any sources or tips on how to find out if the company is a provider or a supplier?

I've been with 1und1 since I moved here and was always more than satisfied. When I moved to my new apartment, I was back to 25Mbps, but they changed it to 50 very quickly. Then approximately at the same time Telekom starts knocking on my door, offering their own service, and my connection becomes a bit less stable. I was wondering if they have a way of influencing the others like that.

There are m-net webpages which will tell you if the glassfaser high speed package is available at your address.   

If not, go to Saturn and tell Telekom and Vodafone that you are comparing plans and prices and you have heard that the m-net DSL is very reliable.    If it is actually a Telekom or Vodafone resold line, the salesperson will scoff and tell you that the line belongs to them, so the reliability is the same. 

not sure if this deserves its own thread or not but both m net and telekom are involved so...why not?

I was just visited by a fast talking m net dude, who proceeded to tell me that there has been some "decision" by the city (Munich) or swm or someone that will require all copper connections to be replaced with fiber in the next years and that when that happens telekom will have to start paying to "rent" swm/m net's fiber network and I will have to pay for it.  Also sounded like he was suggesting I'd have to pay for the actual wiring upgrade or something in that direction which was confusing as I am not an owner and the building is already "wired" for fiber so maybe I misunderstood that.  Or maybe he was lying?

anyway the jist of his pitch was: "you should switch now or else you will pay a lot more" which seemed seedy at best.  Anyway I guess my question is:  does anyone know about these alleged regulations that will be coming into force...someday?  I couldn't find anything on the m net website but not sure exactly what to search for.  my take is it's a rather bold ruse but want to verify.

Your instincts were correct. He was a slimy salesman.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ETA - People aren't supposed to show up at your door unannounced anyway. I tell them to scram

how can they do that?!

my main thought was: why would there have been such a big push to move to (copper based) vdsl (I think mine was converted just last year, but maybe two years ago - can't remember) if this forced fiber upgrade was around the corner?  and do I really think telekom is going to agree to "rent" lines from someone else?  THAT'S THEIR RACKET :)

I dunno.  This is just very unsettling no matter which way it bends.

37 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

not sure if this deserves its own thread or not but both m net and telekom are involved so...why not?

I was just visited by a fast talking m net dude, who proceeded to tell me that there has been some "decision" by the city (Munich) or swm or someone that will require all copper connections to be replaced with fiber in the next years and that when that happens telekom will have to start paying to "rent" swm/m net's fiber network and I will have to pay for it.  Also sounded like he was suggesting I'd have to pay for the actual wiring upgrade or something in that direction which was confusing as I am not an owner and the building is already "wired" for fiber so maybe I misunderstood that.  Or maybe he was lying?

anyway the jist of his pitch was: "you should switch now or else you will pay a lot more" which seemed seedy at best.  Anyway I guess my question is:  does anyone know about these alleged regulations that will be coming into force...someday?  I couldn't find anything on the m net website but not sure exactly what to search for.  my take is it's a rather bold ruse but want to verify.

Never heard of anything like this. Sounds to me like a very misleading sales pitch and as you rightly point out most apartment buildings in central Munich already have an Mnet  fibre box installed and if you change over they just switch the wiring (copper btw.) to you apartment.

eta:  I was responding to fruity here originally: 

hehehehehe - not from my landlord, that's for sure.  And doubtful from my provider until they want to change my contract to include the new "fees" whatever they may be.  I am not sure they can even do that, actually.  I've had the same month-to-month pricing and agreement for 8 years!  It survived the switch from alice to O2 and they didn't even try to change anything when they upgraded to vdsl.

thinking about it a bit more, if this were a legit "sales pitch" I'd kinda expect to get something from m net...at least a flyer specific to this new rule or similar.  To be fair I never read their hard-copy spam, though, so maybe something slipped through to my recycling bin unnoticed.

But now I feel the need to go talk to my neighbor, who he dished out as a "reference" to be sure she actually gave permission for that.  She's pretty prim and even more antisocial than I am, so I have niggling doubts that she'd volunteer her name to be passed out so freely.  Hmmmm.  We'll see.