Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Renting long term apartment advice

23 posts in this topic

Hello all ! 

I am moving from the US to Munich in about a month. The whole thing is unknown to me, first time moving to Germany, and I am trying

to see my options in regards to renting a new apartment in Munich.

My work location is near Grillparzerstraße and definitely the most important thing for me is to be close to that. Thus I much prefer to pay more in order to

get an apartment closer to that street.

I was taking a look online and have mostly been finding furnished apartments. While I really love the idea of having some devices there, like a fridge, dishwasher, 

drying machine etc, I don't like the idea of having prefurnished sofas/beds etc, I do already have quite some furniture that I will be moving to Munich already.

Over here in the US, it mostly works like this. Apartments tend to have the useful stuff embedded, like a fridge/oven/dishwasher/washing machine, but everything else, from tables

to sofas and TVs are up to the tenant. 

Thus, since I will be me moving my furniture, I was wondering if this is even a thing in Munich. Is there a place, maybe online that offers similar apartments ? Are there any apartment complexes

that handle many apartments as a business, that provide such housing ? 

I am definitely willing to pay more for an apartment that I will like (single bedroom), so I'd say that money shouldn't be much of a concern (unless outrageous i guess :D)

I was wondering, did anyone had a similar request in the past or know more about it ? Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks !!

yeah in Munich apartments either come with everything from Kitchen, TV - furniture the full lot from places like https://www.mrlodge.de/ - but that is not normal !. Normally an apartment comes very empty no furniture, no kitchen no nothing - sometimes you are lucky if you can find a light bulb left in the socket. try looking in places like www.immoscout24.de Normally in German only.

I did not hear of any/many half filled apartments

Sometimes you can negotiate with the previous tenant to purchase their kitchen, washing machine etc.  It depends on them and what they need in their new place.

For example, if they are moving in with their new partner then they might be willing to sell things as they don't need 2 of everything.  

You can also look on here, people leaving tend to sell off their old things rather than take them with them and often they are only 1 -3 years old, and look on Ebay-kleinanzeigen and Facebook marketplace for similar.  So you can pick them up cheaper if you wish.

As yesterday said; most apartments come as an empty shell with not even a light bulb, but then it's often possible to buy things from the previous tenant like the kitchen or maybe even a few fittings / cupboards they don't really want to take with them.

You say you're moving in a month, do you plan to bring your furniture / stuff with you then or later?

Munich is not only very expensive but very hard to find somewhere to live. Don't stick to looking around a single area, look wider afield. The public transportation system is brilliant with S-Bahn, bus and tram links.

Do you have a "probezeit" with the job? (Trial period) It's usually 6 months during which either party can easily cancel the contract. If so then this could make it harder to get accepted for an apartment as landlords look for stability (and proven income) first. Sadly it's a landlords' market and very common not to be even granted a viewing of an apartment because there are so many applicants. If you do get a viewing expect to be one of up to 20 people to do so.

Good luck.

Edit: It's not unusual to need at least 6 months to find an apartment in the Munich area.

For example I moved in April of this year, not within Munich but a little further out of town where things are definitely easier and my search still lasted almost 9 months before I was offered an apartment. Fortunately it's turned out perfect but I have a commute of 50km to get to work (and 50km back again).

9 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

As yesterday said; most apartments come as an empty shell with not even a light bulb, but then it's often possible to buy things from the previous tenant like the kitchen or maybe even a few fittings / cupboards they don't really want to take with them.

You say you're moving in a month, do you plan to bring your furniture / stuff with you then or later?

Munich is not only very expensive but very hard to find somewhere to live. Don't stick to looking around a single area, look wider afield. The public transportation system is brilliant with S-Bahn, bus and tram links.

Do you have a "probezeit" with the job? (Trial period) It's usually 6 months during which either party can easily cancel the contract. If so then this could make it harder to get accepted for an apartment as landlords look for stability (and proven income) first. Sadly it's a landlords' market and very common not to be even granted a viewing of an apartment because there are so many applicants. If you do get a viewing expect to be one of up to 20 people to do so.

Good luck.

Edit: It's not unusual to need at least 6 months to find an apartment in the Munich area.

For example I moved in April of this year, not within Munich but a little further out of town where things are definitely easier and my search still lasted almost 9 months before I was offered an apartment. Fortunately it's turned out perfect but I have a commute of 50km to get to work (and 50km back again).

Thanks to everyone for the replies ! It's extremely useful to me to know how these things work here.

Yes, I am moving in about a month and I will be moving my stuff from the US. I think they will probably be arriving a bit later, but these things are generally "secondary" furniture, like sofas/tv/computers, apart from the bed i guess which is a really needed item. But I need to discuss with the moving company on the arrival times. I would prefer if it took more time than less, so that I get the time to look for an apartment.

I will be working with my current company, I have been with them for more than 3 years now, and I am getting paid well, so proven income won't be an issue i feel. I could even prepay for like a 6 month rent period if that would help get a nice apartment, but I am looking for something good, so I guess something around 2000euros would be what i would likely find. Although such prices appear to be mostly for the already furnished ones. I have heard that renting is not easy, so yeah maybe i can get sth better by paying more i guess.

6 months sounds like a really really long time though. Didn't know it can take THAT long. I was kinda hoping i could get it in a few weeks to a month. Were you looking for a better deal or you had to wait for long even though you were willing to pay more ? 

35 minutes ago, yesterday said:

yeah in Munich apartments either come with everything from Kitchen, TV - furniture the full lot from places like https://www.mrlodge.de/ - but that is not normal !. Normally an apartment comes very empty no furniture, no kitchen no nothing - sometimes you are lucky if you can find a light bulb left in the socket. try looking in places like www.immoscout24.de Normally in German only.

I did not hear of any/many half filled apartments

I hope that they at least have water taps, kitchen cabinets/stalls and plumbing lol :D 

I think I would probably prefer an empty apartment and just buy everything on my own though. The idea of having everyone prefurnished doesn't seem nice to me. It can be problematic if i decide to move elsewhere later, but at least I will be using my own things. I guess you get a lower rent but you spend more in appliances. Fair. But a hassle.

30 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Sometimes you can negotiate with the previous tenant to purchase their kitchen, washing machine etc.  It depends on them and what they need in their new place.

For example, if they are moving in with their new partner then they might be willing to sell things as they don't need 2 of everything.  

You can also look on here, people leaving tend to sell off their old things rather than take them with them and often they are only 1 -3 years old, and look on Ebay-kleinanzeigen and Facebook marketplace for similar.  So you can pick them up cheaper if you wish.

I will more than likely be purchasing appliances it looks like yes. Guess I will be looking around, probably going to end up just shopping some new appliances. But at least I will be furnishing the place the way i like it.  

When the flat description includes EBK, it means there is a cooking range (stove and oven), a refrigerator. More may be included. This option seems common. Rest of the furniture is up to you. Unfurnished apartment is always cheaper than furnished, other things remaining equal. When bringing in appliances from the US, beware that here they run on 220V - 240V. At times you can find ways to use even US small appliances such as iron, dunno about larger ones.

Munich is relatively expensive (compared to the rest of Germany) but €2k will get you pretty far. You can get a very nice apartment in a very good location for that. But it will (probably) still take time. It just does. If nothing else, advertised apartments are rarely available immediately. Rather in 2-3 months time. My advice...rent a furnished apartment (Mr. Lodge for example), put all your stuff into storage and take some time to sort yourself out first. Take some months to get to know the city and work out where you want to live.

11 minutes ago, hthought said:

I hope that they at least have water taps, kitchen cabinets/stalls and plumbing lol :D 

Not necessarily. Times are slowly changing but it's still pretty normal for their just to be two pipes coming out of the wall and that's it. Really.

6 minutes ago, hthought said:

I will be working with my current company, I have been with them for more than 3 years now, and I am getting paid well, so proven income won't be an issue i feel. I could even prepay for like a 6 month rent period if that would help get a nice apartment, but I am looking for something good, so I guess something around 2000euros would be what i would likely find. Although such prices appear to be mostly for the already furnished ones. I have heard that renting is not easy, so yeah maybe i can get sth better by paying more i guess.

good that you are continuing with the same employer but I don't think you hear what people are saying. Malt-Teaser explained all of it very well and I don't think it's sinking in: it is REALLY hard to find any apartment in Munich let alone one you find "great".  Really!  Pre-paying 6 months is not relevant for a permanent apartment as it's so notoriously difficult for landlords to evict tenants once they have signed the contract.  This idea that you can just throw cash at it is also faulty as while Munich is notorious for ridiculously high rents, we do still have rent control so there is still some loose observation of legal limits.  most landlords try to get around it by offering the place furnished for a high rent (though that's still not really up to snuff) so you see you have a conundrum. It is also nigh impossible to find a permanent place from afar, so you really should be focusing on finding a temporary apartment for at least three months so you're covered to start working.  

I really think your best bet overall is to ask your employer for help.  You will find a place eventually on your own but with a moving truck arriving you have a lot more pressure to find something unfurnished, quickly.

4 minutes ago, seeking said:

When the flat description includes EBK, it means there is a cooking range (stove and oven), a refrigerator. More may be included. This option seems common. Rest of the furniture is up to you. Unfurnished apartment is always cheaper than furnished, other things remaining equal. When bringing in appliances from the US, beware that here they run on 220V - 240V. At times you can find ways to use even US small appliances such as iron, dunno about larger ones.

This is actually super useful, didn't know about that, I will definitely be looking for the EBK option. Buying a dishwasher and a washing machine is not nearly as bad as having to buy a fridge and an oven. I am not bringing any appliances from the US, other than a couple of espresso machines and some laptops/computers/TV. Everything else is sofas/bed/misc items that are non electrical. And the computers/laptops can run normally with adapters, tried that before in my home country in Europe :D

Regarding the kitchen; if you take an apartment without a kitchen then you get the four walls, that's it. Obviously there are connections for water and electricity but all units including taps have to be bought.

Sometimes apartments come with a kitchen, look for "EBK" (Einbau Küche - built-in kitchen) in the apartment description. Or of course you often get the chance to negotiate a deal with the previous tenant.

As for my search; I was renting a detached house in a large plot but in Erding outside of Munich which is usually easier than Munich to find something. I wasn't even getting viewings (I've now been here in DE 21 years, so not new). I started looking further afield and yes, it was just over 8 months of searching before I found this apartment, not a full house like I had.

A note on prices; you should find something for around €2k. I was astonished yesterday when I read a post on here about someone thinking that a 50 Sq. metre apartment was good value at €1300. Ouch!

When renting you'll see references to "cold" or "warm" meaning the base rent (cold) then the cost incl. "nebenkosten" (warm) which is for the extras like having the rubbish collected, hausmeister services ... etc.

It's not usual to have the electricity included in these costs, you should be prepared to select your own electricity provider and organise a contract with them.

2 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

good that you are continuing with the same employer but I don't think you hear what people are saying. Malt-Teaser explained all of it very well and I don't think it's sinking in: it is REALLY hard to find any apartment in Munich let alone one you find "great".  Really!  Pre-paying 6 months is not relevant for a permanent apartment as it's so notoriously difficult for landlords to evict tenants once they have signed the contract.  This idea that you can just throw cash at it is also faulty as while Munich is notorious for ridiculously high rents, we do still have rent control so there is still some loose observation of legal limits.  most landlords try to get around it by offering the place furnished for a high rent (though that's still not really up to snuff) so you see you have a conundrum. It is also nigh impossible to find a permanent place from afar, so you really should be focusing on finding a temporary apartment for at least three months so you're covered to start working.  

I really think your best bet overall is to ask your employer for help.  You will find a place eventually on your own but with a moving truck arriving you have a lot more pressure to find something unfurnished, quickly.

Got it, yeah, seems like it's going to be tough. Maybe i should be rethinking of delivering my stuff to my home country instead and maybe just buying new things from there or so. Tough to say, I will really have to think about it. If they can store them for me it will be ok, but if not, it can be an issue. My employer does give me some money for the relocation, but not that much. However, them helping me with housing is not an option unfortunately. I guess i see why now lol.

2 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

Regarding the kitchen; if you take an apartment without a kitchen then you get the four walls, that's it. Obviously there are connections for water and electricity but all units including taps have to be bought.

Sometimes apartments come with a kitchen, look for "EBK" (Einbau Küche - built-in kitchen) in the apartment description. Or of course you often get the chance to negotiate a deal with the previous tenant.

As for my search; I was renting a detached house in a large plot but in Erding outside of Munich which is usually easier than Munich to find something. I wasn't even getting viewings (I've now been here in DE 21 years, so not new). I started looking further afield and yes, it was just over 8 months of searching before I found this apartment, not a full house like I had.

A note on prices; you should find something for around €2k. I was astonished yesterday when I read a post on here about someone thinking that a 50 Sq. metre apartment was good value at €1300. Ouch!

WHen renting you'll see references to "cold" or "warm" meaning the base rent (cold) then the cost incl. "nebenkosten" which is for the extras like having the rubbish collected, hausmeister services ... etc.

It's not usual to have the electricity included in these costs, you should be prepared to select your own electricity provider and organise a contract with them.

The 4 wall apartment sounds super challenging to me, especially since i have no idea about plumbing etc.. This feels like i would be building a new house lol. I have no idea it works like that in Germany, very surprising to me.

I have seen quite a few nice looking apartments at 2k, fully furnished and available now. A couple of those were also close to my workplace and I would book them like now :D The fully furnished thing is so bad though, wish i could add my own bed/sofas/tvs etc. This can be a burden, but it could be my best choice :/

I have heard about the warm/cold thing before yes. Utilities are pretty automatic here in the US, basically deducted as part of your rent for the most part and I love the fact that they are withdrawn online without me having to do anything. Although I am pretty sure banking would be similar in Germany, so I should be able to fix these things once i get an apartment.

13 minutes ago, theGman said:

Munich is relatively expensive (compared to the rest of Germany) but €2k will get you pretty far. You can get a very nice apartment in a very good location for that. But it will (probably) still take time. It just does. If nothing else, advertised apartments are rarely available immediately. Rather in 2-3 months time. My advice...rent a furnished apartment (Mr. Lodge for example), put all your stuff into storage and take some time to sort yourself out first. Take some months to get to know the city and work out where you want to live.

Not necessarily. Times are slowly changing but it's still pretty normal for their just to be two pipes coming out of the wall and that's it. Really.

oh boy :o So different in Germany. I have been spoiled in the US, I was always finding apartments in like the first day of my search. Damn, that will be challenging. But i think your advice is what I will end up doing indeed.

5 minutes ago, hthought said:

The 4 wall apartment sounds super challenging to me, especially since i have no idea about plumbing etc..

This refers only to the kitchen. The bathrooms will have all the necessary fittings and fixtures.

If a place is advertised without a kitchen, however, then all you'll likely have is the electrical outlets and the plumbing connections in the wall. You then buy a (fitted) kitchen and the installers take care of everything.

Another thing you should be aware of is that light fixtures generally aren't included in unfurnished places either. If you're lucky, they'll leave you a hanging lamp with a bare bulb in the entryway, but that's often it.

Looking at immobilienscout24, it does look like there are quite a few nice options around 2k indeed, even less than that.

I did search for equipped kitchens + parking for instance, I am seeing quite some compelling ones

https://www.immobilienscout24.de/Suche/S-T/Wohnung-Miete/Bayern/Muenchen/-/2,00-3,00/-/-/-/-/-/true/true/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/50000?enteredFrom=result_list

This will definitely turn out to be interesting lol :D

Thanks a lot to everyone for the help ! Really really appreciate that guys !

No, you won't do any plumbing don't worry.  If you decide to take an apartment without kitchen then you go to a kitchen supplier, choose a set-up you like and they deliver and fit it for you, at a price of course.

I moved here exactly 21 years ago this last weekend and the move was with the same company as I'd worked for in the UK, but starting afresh here. Fortunately the company covered my living until I found my own place so they put me in an apart-hotel in Munich. The benefits of a serviced room but with a little kitchen so I could do my own cooking. It was so much easier to find something 21 years ago but it still took 3 months to find a place.

Edit: When I moved here the company paid me a moving allowance which I had to negotiate. I took into account the fact I'd have to buy a kitchen, light fittings ... etc and negotiated what I'd be happy with. Then came the big shock; it was paid here in DE and was taxed. OK, so in my tax return the following year I got about half of the the tax on that back ... but .....

Moral of the story being get any relocation allowances paid in the USA before you move, not here!

3 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

No, you won't do any plumbing don't worry.  If you decide to take an apartment without kitchen then you go to a kitchen supplier, choose a set-up you like and they deliver and fit it for you, at a price of course.

I moved here exactly 21 years ago this last weekend and the move was with the same company as I'd worked for in the UK, but starting afresh here. Fortunately the company covered my living until I found my own place so they put me in an apart-hotel in Munich. The benefits of a serviced room but with a little kitchen so I could do my own cooking. It was so much easier to find something 21 years ago but it still took 3 months to find a place.

They unfortunately do not cover my moving expenses, however, I will be normally getting the unvested stock that I have been given while working in California and even though my base salary is like 80k, it becomes much more than that with vested stock, so I didn't really mind the relocation costs. I mean, i did mind, but it is overall still very good for me.

My initial plan was to actually move to Zurich, due to better salaries, but since I am staying with my company at a US like salary structure, I will be joining the Munich office.

You get higher salaries in Switzerland, but then the cost of things whether rent or just eating out makes Munich look more like "bargain basement".

6 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

Edit: When I moved here the company paid me a moving allowance which I had to negotiate. I took into account the fact I'd have to buy a kitchen, light fittings ... etc and negotiated what I'd be happy with. Then came the big shock; it was paid here in DE and was taxed. OK, so in my tax return the following year I got about half of the the tax on that back ... but ....

Moral of the story being get any relocation allowances paid in the USA before you move, not here!

I thankfully do get a free tax consultation package for the move, so that will probably help with tax related issues, but boy, was i scared of double taxation, especially on unvested stock. I have chatted with my company's tax professionals though about it and it looks like there's no double taxation really anywhere, so all well i guess.

5 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

You get higher salaries in Switzerland, but then the cost of things whether rent or just eating out makes Munich look more like "bargain basement".

Frankly, I have been spoiled for choice here in the US, I work in the bay area(IT) and things are insanely hot here, companies paying really really well. An issue with my visa had me requiring to come back though, at least for a year or two, who knows what happens next. Zurich's base salaries appear to be similar to the bay area ones, BUT without the extra stock that bigger companies give(except Google Zurich), and that is a pretty huge difference. In the bay companies offer stock refreshers every year and so 300k salaries are almost considered baseline for even average engineers(like me :D) after just a few years of service. It really is crazy here.