How to obtain a IUD contraceptive method for a master student in Tubingen?

14 posts in this topic

Good afternoon for everybody!

I'll start my master studies in Tubingen next october 2019. It will be my first time in Germany!. I already have MAWISTA student clasic plus as medic insurance. I'm interested on get a cooper DIU as contraceptive method. I asked first to my medic insurance and they answered me, they don't cover any contraceptive method. So I'd like to know, how should I do to obtain the contraceptive method, maybe emails o contact number of Gynecologyst speaking english in Tubingen, and if you know, how much it should cost.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

L.E.

It's an IUD in English, and a Spirale (pronounced "Shpee-rah-luh" in German).

I'd suggest you all OB/GYNs in your neighborhood and ask what they would charge a Selbstzahler. You could also ask your local student union after you arrive.

I think the price should be just about the same anywhere, barring choice of the IUD itself, shouldn't it?

what is the huge database of allowed fees for medical treatments called?  

eta:  see here for some idea https://www.familienplanung.de/verhuetung/verhuetungsmethoden/kupferspirale/#c61322  

ultrasound, which you'd probably have to pay yourself from the start, runs around 40 euros last I paid for one.

19 hours ago, lisa13 said:

what is the huge database of allowed fees for medical treatments called?  

Gebührenordung für Ärzte (GOÄ). A private doctor is allowed to charge up to 2,3-fold of it. Under special circumstances even up to 3,5-fold. So i may make sense to negotiate beforehand.

21 hours ago, Lestevez said:

I already have MAWISTA student clasic plus as medic insurance.

They basically consider this travel insurance, i.e. a foreigner temporarily in Germany. As such will not cover anything they can wave away as the concern of your home doctor. There are no doubt lots of other things they will not cover. MAWISTA might be a solution for you to enter Germany in the first place, but if you are a student in Germany, that means you are eligible to register with one of the standard quasi-public insurance companies (TK, AOK, Barmer, etc. etc.). I strongly advise you to get into one of those and ditch MAWISTA as soon as possible. Then your contraception should be covered.

3 hours ago, alderhill said:

. I strongly advise you to get into one of those and ditch MAWISTA as soon as possible. Then your contraception should be covered.

No.

@alderhill contraception is not generally covered in Germany for women over 22 years of age.  

and what, pray tell, is a "quasi public" kasse?

Right, good to know. Either way it’s better for the long run to get into the “quasi-public” system, especially if OP later has the slightest intention to stay in Germany past her graduation date.

And by “quasi-public”, I thought that was an obvious comment in the system such as it exists in Germany. N’est pas?

Just for the record, in France my Mona Lisa conventional copper job cost only a few Euros. I was amazed. Two consultations, one before and then the fitting added about 70 Euros to the cost. Quite a difference to the prices quoted for Germany.

On 30/08/2019, 16:30:42, jeba said:

So it may make sense to negotiate beforehand.

How can a patient "negotiate" anything?

14 hours ago, optimista said:

How can a patient "negotiate" anything?

By asking whether the doc would agree to not charge more than say the 1,8-fold of the GOÄ.

Some do, so it´s worth a try. 1,8-fold is still more than they will get from public insurance. I even remember a case where a dentist pulled a tooth for free when a poor tourist had terrible toothache but no money nor insurance. Also, back in the day my own dentist always attached a little note to his bill stating that I only need to pay whatever my insurance will cover (he was a friend of my granddad though).