Maklerprovision ( Real Estate Commissions )

9 posts in this topic

I have bought the a house in Berlin which is not provision free, But I did not know the commission can be 7.14 by default or negotoionatiable. anyway we have sign the purchase contract and received the  invoice from real estate agency which is a lot of money. I try to asked them for some discount but they did not accept it. 

Now may be this question is not nice to ask, But I would like to know , what will happen if I do not pay full invoice to the real estate agency? Could somebody who knows the law here can advice me?

Many thanks in advance

The same thing that happens to anyone who doesn't pay their bills: they will send you a payment reminder or two, adding on late fees and possibly interest. They will then sue you to recover their money or simply sell your debt on to a collection agency, which will then pursue you relentlessly.

Sorry, but there's no excuse for not knowing how much the real estate agent would charge you. It's not like it's a huge secret.

OP- there is really no excuse for not finding out all the costs involved.. If you cannot afford all th costs involved in buying a house, then you should not be buying.

You are on the hook now, and must find a way to pay, or   El Jeffo's advice will be the next step.

German realtors can be top-notch assholes, but their commission is something that I've found they are always very transparent about. It's strange that you should've missed that. They even put that in the sale contract. Did you even read it?

I've just sold my house and the realtor told us from the beginning that the commission would be 4.75% and added that normally the buyer pays but sometimes it is split between the two parties.  The realtor's commission was in the contract and he was present at the notary public's when we signed the contracts.

19 hours ago, rodisi said:

I've just sold my house and the realtor told us from the beginning that the commission would be 4.75% and added that normally the buyer pays but sometimes it is split between the two parties.  The realtor's commission was in the contract and he was present at the notary public's when we signed the contracts.

I've bought a property twice in Germany, and it was like that both times. Also, I find the commission is ALWAYS listed in property ads. 

@Radgostar Where you not made aware of the commission at all or did you think the seller would pay? You know you are also going to get:

1. An invoice from the notary

2. A tax bill from the Finanzamt

3. Various invoices from the city regarding registration of ownership

The realtor is always the quickest to send his bill but the other ones are coming!

4 minutes ago, Smaug said:

I find the commission is ALWAYS listed in property ads. 

absolutely.  In Munich most maklers now have a scheme where you have to explicitly agree to the provision before they will even send an expose

I really have a hard time believing anyone could "miss" this

And btw - don't worry - when the next "Night of the Long Knives" comes to Germany, the Maklers will be #1 on the hit list... :P