Move to South Bavaria???

47 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, engelchen said:

When you say "affording the property in Chiemsee area", do you mean that you want to buy a house in the area or that you'd be content with renting an apartment? Unless you have a substanial downpayment, I don't know how you're going to be able to afford property in that area.

Thanks for the stoic input engelchen. We may be able to inherit some land house in the futurebut i dont want to take this for granted. Just to ask a simple question, how do those folk who rent with a basic job like building or office work afford to rent in retirement???

Many of them go on Grundsicherung, basically a German version of Social Security and Medicare that pays the rent for a very small home and gives them just enough income to not starve. That's why Germany is not filled with homeless old people.

4 hours ago, Habediehre said:

We may be able to inherit some land house in the futurebut i dont want to take this for granted.

I agree with you that you shouldn't count on receiving an inheritance, however, it would make a difference when deciding whether or not you could have the same quality of life here.

Just to ask a simple question, how do those folk who rent with a basic job like building or office work afford to rent in retirement???

Short answer: rent control and welfare

Long answer: It is very complicated. Many jobs that currently barely pay minimum wage used to be much better paid and certain groups of German workers have experienced a drastic cut in their real earnings over the past two decades. 

Factory workers and low level office workers who started an apprenticeship in the 70s in a unionised company and who were not subject to pay cuts in the lean years now receive a company pension in addition to the state pension and are doing quite well.

On the other hand, evey since the introduction of temp agencies in Germany, many companies have different classes of employees. The old employees with pemanent contracts have above average salaries and the temp workers sent by an agency earn just over minimum wage for the same job. An ever increasing number of pensioners require state assistance in order to make ends meet.

Furthermore, many Germans live in rented apartments and most rental laws favour the tenant. Those with an old rental contract or have subsidised housing are substanially better off than those with a similiar income who need to move at current prices. 

41 minutes ago, Metall said:

Many of them go on Grundsicherung, basically a German version of Social Security and Medicare that pays the rent for a very small home and gives them just enough income to not starve. That's why Germany is not filled with homeless old people.

Not that many though. In 2017 there were 1,06 million people receiving Grundsicherung in all of Germany. And disproportionally less in Bavaria. Btw a disproportionally high number of recipients of social grants (34,3%; not only Grundsicherung though but including other varieties of tax-funded grants (as opposed to contribution-based)) were foreigners.

Source: http://www.amtliche-sozialberichterstattung.de/pdf/Soziale_Mindestsicherung_2017.pdf

22 hours ago, balticus said:

This is the last thread i expected to be Godwinned. 

Why do you find any of this farcical or does the farce come later?  

Because Trump is not (capable of becoming) a dictator, he "only" provoked pogroms with his posts. And yes, certain people left because of him as their life became no more safe.

4 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

yourkeau is originally from Saxony, IIRC. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he were horrified at current nazi trends in his former home state.

They bother me, too.

My dad was born on a military base in Saxony in 1946. So, yes, in certain sense I am from Saxony, haha.

I have found the rents here not that extravagant.   We are paying around 750€ for a nice 100 square meters with a yard and a bunch of other extras including a nice view of the mountains.  We paid more in the metro Detroit area for less of an apartment.  I know of others who pay 350€-500€ for a smaller space, but I have no idea how they found rent so cheap.  Probably through connections.  I have no idea why houses are so expensive but rent is relatively reasonable.  Makes zero sense to me but for now we will stay renters.  

Connections are very important.  If you decide to come, become best friends with your in-laws.