Move to South Bavaria???

47 posts in this topic

Hi there, I know this is a very broad question whether to move to Germany or not!? Just looking for people's helpful opinions from their experiences etc.

I am English, wife is Bavarian from Chiemsee. Both in our mid thirties. I am a carpenter she works in Pharma. 3 kids, ages 6,4 and 1. My German is not as good as it should be but am confident of learning pretty swiftly!!

Any input on practical elements of Moving, kids schooling and property buying would be really helpful. Message me privately if required and i can give more details etc. Thanks again!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Habediehre said:

 

Any input on practical elements of Moving, kids schooling and property buying would be really helpful. 

 

"Any input" is a little very vague, don't you think? I would start looking for a job, do you already have jobs? And for everything else there are hundreds of threads, FAQs and so on. Please just use the forum search (top right of the page) and read in a bit. And then maybe ask more concrete questions. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Somenones daughter. Yes I know it sounded vague! Never asked a stranger for advice before and am new to these forums. Biggest thing for us would be affording the property in Chiemsee area and schooling. And a lot of the other elements regarding practical things I can use the search bar.

Thank you for replying

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Habediehre said:

Sorry Somenones daughter. Yes I know it sounded vague! Never asked a stranger for advice before and am new to these forums. Biggest thing for us would be affording the property in Chiemsee area and schooling. And a lot of the other elements regarding practical things I can use the search bar.

Thank you for replying

 

All depends on what you're looking for. The area is rather expensive, but houses with a view of the lake are quite different in price from a flat in Wasserburg (30km from the lake). School is only acute for the oldest child, does it speak German? 

 

The more you ask and the more details you reveal, the more accurate the answers can be.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are a carpenter you'll find work easily here as Bayern is infested with trees. They need them here to help create the paperwork you need to exist here.

 

Also the dialect here is Bayerisch. You'll struggle working with Hochdeutsch so try to slant it to "Servus" et al asap.

 

btw Chiemsee is absolutely a beautiful part of Bayern. Far too many lakes here....

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My two cents worth: there's a heap of building going on...and foreign workers on the sites...in my area (Starnberg)...so the prospects of continued work just might be good. I hear a constant stream of hochdeutsch, bayerisch and serbo-croatian...but no English. Your kids will learn German super fast - just pop them into a Grundschule and kinder. Penzberg (south of Starners) has a sizeable pharma concern....so perhaps think of looking at southern Bavaria as a whole, rather than just Chiemsee area...unless the outlaws can provide housing, of course. Otherwise, same as everywhere else, you just gotta travel a bit for work. With a German wife, I imagine pretty much all the admin stuff will be as simple as it can be here in Germany...B):wacko:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, peterLP said:

Your kids will learn German super fast - just pop them into a Grundschule and kinder. Penzberg (south of Starners) has a sizeable pharma concern...so perhaps think of looking at southern Bavaria as a whole, rather than just Chiemsee area...unless the outlaws can provide housing, of course. 

 

Regarding inlaws - you may end up closer to them than you realise. Germn families are tighter than ours in the UK.

 

Kids - whatever you do don't put them into one of those paid private schools here. They end up snobby. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeremytwo! Private school!? I'm a carpenter, not an investment banker!  They won't be going to private school don't worry! Thanks again for your input. 

Regarding the Inlaw situation. We could live with the Inlaws for as long as we wish really. Probably rent free as well, till we get sorted and I find a job and pick up enough Bayerische/Deutsch to progress.

So that's a massive help for us. Not many folk would have that stepping stone so we are lucky.

Looking at it in my working class, rational mentality... In England we are content and comfortable. Our house although quite modest, will be paid off in about 5 years, I can earn around 35-40k a year comfortably without doing overtime. Do I as a father, want to risk this on moving to Bavaria, learn a new language and be out of my comfort zone etc for everything that Bavaria can give us. Mountains, clean air, lakes etc etc. 

It's a tough one. The biggest thing that is killing us is that we feel torn between countries/friendships. We have drifted apart from friends here as a lot of them think we are going to move to Germany!!! 

I suppose I should of foreseen this when I fell in love with a German girl 16 years ago!!!

Once again I repeat people have a lot bigger problems in life, but though our problems are meaningless, it doesn't make them go away!!

It's nice to speak to like minded people. Thanks for reading!

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One important thing to consider: do you have formal training and qualifications as a carpenter and the certificates to prove it? Germans are big on certificates and if you lack them, you may find yourself classified as an "ungelernte Hilfskraft" (untrained assistant) making minimum wage or slightly more, no matter how much experience you have.

 

If you're really serious about this, I'd suggest you take a long-ish holiday in the area you're thinking of moving to and check things out. Try to experience life as a resident, not someone on vacation. Find out about the availability (or scarcity) of day care, the quality of the local schools, and so on. Ask your wife to approach people with children on the street if you don't have any other avenues of contact.

 

Does your wife speak German with your kids? If so, they won't have any problem transitioning. If your oldest doesn't speak German, he/she might lose a year trying to catch up, but that's no big deal in the long term.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Habediehre said:

Jeremytwo! Private school!? I'm a carpenter, not an investment banker!  They won't be going to private school don't worry! Thanks again for your input. 

Regarding the Inlaw situation. We could live with the Inlaws for as long as we wish really. Probably rent free as well, till we get sorted and I find a job and pick up enough Bayerische/Deutsch to progress.

So that's a massive help for us. Not many folk would have that stepping stone so we are lucky.

Looking at it in my working class, rational mentality... In England we are content and comfortable. Our house although quite modest, will be paid off in about 5 years, I can earn around 35-40k a year comfortably without doing overtime. Do I as a father, want to risk this on moving to Bavaria, learn a new language and be out of my comfort zone etc for everything that Bavaria can give us. Mountains, clean air, lakes etc etc. 

It's a tough one. The biggest thing that is killing us is that we feel torn between countries/friendships. We have drifted apart from friends here as a lot of them think we are going to move to Germany!!! 

I suppose I should of foreseen this when I fell in love with a German girl 16 years ago!!!

Once again I repeat people have a lot bigger problems in life, but though our problems are meaningless, it doesn't make them go away!!

It's nice to speak to like minded people. Thanks for reading!

2 hours ago, Habediehre said:

Jeremytwo! Private school!? I'm a carpenter, not an investment banker!  They won't be going to private school don't worry! Thanks again for your input. 

Regarding the Inlaw situation. We could live with the Inlaws for as long as we wish really. Probably rent free as well, till we get sorted and I find a job and pick up enough Bayerische/Deutsch to progress.

So that's a massive help for us. Not many folk would have that stepping stone so we are lucky.

Looking at it in my working class, rational mentality... In England we are content and comfortable. Our house although quite modest, will be paid off in about 5 years, I can earn around 35-40k a year comfortably without doing overtime. Do I as a father, want to risk this on moving to Bavaria, learn a new language and be out of my comfort zone etc for everything that Bavaria can give us. Mountains, clean air, lakes etc etc. 

It's a tough one. The biggest thing that is killing us is that we feel torn between countries/friendships. We have drifted apart from friends here as a lot of them think we are going to move to Germany!!! 

I suppose I should of foreseen this when I fell in love with a German girl 16 years ago!!!

Once again I repeat people have a lot bigger problems in life, but though our problems are meaningless, it doesn't make them go away!!

It's nice to speak to like minded people. Thanks for reading!

 

...i reckon you should probably have a think about the long term picture you have for your family's future - want you want long term for your kids....and then you can more easily put short term issues into perspective. Briefly, I moved from Melbourne to Bavaria (via Dortmund) cos I wanted something different(better) for my girls than I could provide in Oz. And to do so, I took stock of the long term goal and the various short to medium term issues that I could identify...there have been millions of surprises about living here in Germany, but none of these threaten the long term goal - so all is good. In any event, the decision "to jump" is always gonna be one with unknowns...and being able to deal with that is one of the things that separates us from those who stay in their home town or thereabouts their whole lives...good luck with your decision!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I am in Chiemgau!  Yes, it is absolutely gorgeous here.  And absolutely frekin expensive.  Like 500,000€ for a fixer-upper.   On the other hand, if you move to a "questionable" neighborhood such as Trostberg (as an American, the neighborhoods here are just fine, but I am comparing them to the Detroit area) or further up north then prices get a tad more reasonable.  Of course as a carpenter, you can buy a dump and fix it up.  Talk to you in-laws.  The only way to find good property is through connections.  

 

Renting is still affordable, strangely enough, but "affordable" depends on what you are used to.  Other prices are higher than places like Saxony, but still OK IMHO.  

 

Plenty of work at the moment, but who knows when the tide will turn.  A couple of openings in my little Dorf right now.  Heck, in a few months, I might hire you.  A good carpenter is always needed.   PM me if I can help.    

 

For me, I have no regrets.  Bavaria is beautiful and the Bavarians tend to be a bit more laid back then the rest of Germany.  Of course, I am a Trumpfugee from Detroit so it depends on what you are comparing to.  

 

The schools here, BTW, are great.  No need for private schools.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expect to be dependent on the missus for a long time for stuff you probably weren't before (unless you already have a tacit agreement that she is your personal assistant/wears the trousers), owing to inevitable cultural and language aggro... you may see a different (more assertive/decisive/active?) side - to your beloved when she is operating in her native field and under the influence of her family. Guess I am trying to say that a move could well influence the dynamics of your relationship and your own self-image as a man. Trawl through the history on TT, it's all there.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

I am a Trumpfugee

 

did you actually leave because of Trump?

 

so many people claimed they would...haven't personally had/heard of any confirmed sightings of people who actually did though.  Are you truly one of those magical unicorns?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds as if OP has a comfortable life in the UK, so a really detailed pro/con list needed!

Health care will be one factor. German wife may have been with a public Krankenkasse so can rejoin that, plus children. It seems spouse can also be on the wife's membership, as long as earnings low?

With Brexit looming, it seems using the NHS form may not work. So, OP the EHIC card is only valid as a tourist/ visitor for 3 months ( less with Brexit!).

Several insurance experts advertise and post on TT. Starshollow and Johng. 

Good luck with your research.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

 

did you actually leave because of Trump?

 

so many people claimed they would...haven't personally had/heard of any confirmed sightings of people who actually did though.  Are you truly one of those magical unicorns?

Trump is just a symptom.  I left because of the disease.  The disease will still be there long after Trump is just an orange stain on history.  I don't worry about that senile old man.  I worry about those who supported him.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now