Unemployed EU Citizen (Polish) moved to Germany from Portugal - What's the health insurance options?

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

My girlfriend who is a Polish citizen has recently moved to Munich from Portugal to live with me. Before she left Portugal she quit her job and was receiving unemployment for 5 months. She's registered to health system in Portugal and has one of those health cards with EU logo on it.

What's the best way to get health insurance for her? I myself am employed and have insurance via TK but as far as I understand only valid partnership is marriage to be included in someone else's insurance.

Through some digging I found this website. As far as I understand it talks about moving unemployed status and I'm guessing after this she would also quality for public health insurance. Can anyone shed light on this process? 

I also found this website that claims (see item #5) a Polish citizen can transfer their health insurance rights from their home country to Germany, directly via some public health insurance office (AOK??) without dealing with unemployment status transfer. However since she's not registered in Poland, for this route to work, she would have to first move her residency to Poland and then transfer her health insurance to Germany.

She has some health issues that I don't think would qualify as urgent and we are a bit worried that the process above will take a long time. (Also we didn't do the anmeldung for her yet, not sure if it's at all related)

Thanks

If she wanted to transfer her unemployment benefits she should have done so before moving to Germany. She should have applied for it in Portugal, said she's going to Germany to find work, once approved, move and register here as a job seeker. She could have gotten up to 3 months of benefits here if she'd done that.

Being an EU citizen and having been insured in the EU for the past couple of years or longer, she can go with her Portugese health card and register at  AOK or TK as a "freiwillig" but the question is who is paying. Not being on any benefit here, worst case she'd be paying out of pocket which is something like 160-180 a month. If she's already registered at an address in Germany she should hurry and get it done because there is a fine / back-charge system so if she wants to save money and register later they will ask to see her registration and back-charge her from the day she registered.

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

Being an EU citizen and having been insured in the EU for the past couple of years or longer, she can go with her Portugese health card and register at  AOK or TK as a "freiwillig" 

Supplement: And she only has three months to do so.