Working as German in Germany for US company with no subsidiary in Europe

68 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

hm.  what a mysterious post

congrats? :)

Well, oral agreement, but the red tape needs to be handled.

Please postpone the congrats till the ink is dry.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings.

So, here is the update:

They will either create a German legal entity in January, or use one the afformentioned pay-roll-services in D.

If got all the paperwork:

Job description

Federal anti-kickback act 

Proprietary Information & Inventions Agreement

Signed offer of employment

The "offer of employment" looks very contract like, but doesn't say "contract" anywhere. Their HR folks say that this is the contract.

Can anybody who knows the legal system in the US better than I do comment on that? What is the legal status of a signed "offer of employment"?

Thanx

Terra

since you are the only German employee, for now, make sure you'll ask them early on for a solid co-contribution to your German company pension scheme. You are - even as a sole employee - entitled to one and US-employers are used to offer something like matching co-contributions or something like that, which can make this very attractive.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

So, let's end this charade.

It's me who got that position, starting in March.

Thank you all for your support.

Yes, the second account was approved by E. Bob.

Well, New Hampshire's state motto of "Live free or die" is a little bit different compared to the Rhineland motto of "et kuett wie et kuett" ("it comes like it comes") but I'll manage...

Greetings to all TTers from the other side of the ocean...

On 27/12/2019, 10:57:00, franklan said:

It's me who got that position, starting in March.

Congratulations on your new job.

On 27/12/2019, 10:57:00, franklan said:

Yes, the second account was approved by E. Bob.

But why the need for secrecy? 

I assume if it all went to crap, then only I would have known about the egg on his face... 

Nowt wrong with a bit of pride and self respect... 

There certainly wasn't any sinister intended.. 

17 hours ago, engelchen said:

But why the need for secrecy? 

When I applied for the new job, I still had another, unresigned job. I think there is a former co-worker who is a silent reader here, who knows my real name...

I didn't want to leak my efforts to change places too early, that's all...

21 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I assume if it all went to crap, then only I would have known about the egg on his face... 

Nowt wrong with a bit of pride and self respect... 

Have you never NOT got a job you for which you applied? There are many jobs that I would have really loved to have and never got, but I don't think that there is anything to be ashamed about not getting them (just frustrated).

21 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

There certainly wasn't any sinister intended.. 

I actually wasn't even thinking anything sinister.

5 hours ago, franklan said:

When I applied for the new job, I still had another, unresigned job. I think there is a former co-worker who is a silent reader here, who knows my real name...

I didn't want to leak my efforts to change places too early, that's all...

That is a reason that I can understand. No one at work knows about my really odd hobbies (which is why I can say that I am no longer happy where am I and am going to start looking for a new job soon). :)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I tend to be more willing and take more time to help long-time posters (with the exception of the few that I really can't stand) than newbies.

The cheese over here is horrible!

I now understand, why a lot of Brits are constantly nagging about where to source decent cheddar in D, but never once a 'murican asked for a place to buy 'murican cheese in Germany. This stuff tastes like it has the vitamins B, A, S and F in it! I am absolutely chunder struck, as the Scottish would probably say... 

Not all cheese is cheese in the U.S., franklan - in fact, some of it is called "cheese food".

Try to get your hands on some aged Wisconsin cheddar (at least 2 years). That will probably be more like what you're used to.

Vermont cheddar is pretty good too.  Cabot is allegedly one of the top 100 cheeses worldwide.

of course you can get good cheese in the US - if you started with American cheese there's no where to go but up :)

49 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Not all cheese is cheese in the U.S., franklan - in fact, some of it is called "cheese food".

Got it, look for "cheese food" as warning sign.

We are talking about the same customer bullshitting that the Germans do with "FruchtSAFT" vs. "FruchtNEKTAR" vs. "FruchtSAFTGETRAENK", right?

did you go out of your way to get  american cheese?  didn't the color or squishiness of the product tip you off that things were not quite...right?

it is NOTORIOUSLY not food.  Everyone knows it.  even americans.  there are also "cheeses" that come in a spray can, or jar and have a shelf life of 100 years.  not food.  did your cheese come in individually wrapped slices?  Another tip off that it's not food ;)

on the upside it melts like a freaking dream - a velveeta or US government cheese toasted cheese sandwich can be pretty great - especially with tomato soup. 

Key is to not think of it as cheese.  It's not.  it's something else.  

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

Key is to not think of it as cheese.  It's not.  it's something else.  

Before everyone thinks I am an idiot...

1.) First time in the USA was in Wisconsin, cannot remember the cheese being bad. After all it's the "dairy state".

2.) Second time in the USA was in the state of Washington, in a hick town with a rather international cliente due to a larger international software company being around -> cannot remember having such bad experience.

3.) Ah, New Hampshire...

Thanks for all the hints...

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

did your cheese come in individually wrapped slices? 

'Cheese possessed', as we call it....:o

Find out where the 'hippies" shop, the farmers' markets and the cooperative grocery stores.  There you will find good locally sourced products.