Is German Public Health Insurance compulsory for retirees living abroad?

32 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

Expect additional problems to get Barmer to accept that there is no Meldesystem in the UK, so you will not be able to send them an Anmeldebescheinigung to "prove" your move to the UK.

I'd recommend @arunadasi that she register to vote in the UK a.s.a.p. She should get a confirmation letter from the Electoral Commission shortly after. Maybe the Barmer would accept that letter without fussing too much.

2 hours ago, arunadasi said:

Or maybe I just move "officially" back to Guyana

That will not bring you anything, Barmer would still deduct health&nursing insurance from your DRV Rente.

The only, very small, loophole is moving to another country from which you also get a public pension, which in your case is only the UK. So you have to move to the UK.

21 minutes ago, Smaug said:

I'd recommend @arunadasi that she register to vote in the UK a.s.a.p. She should get a confirmation letter from the Electoral Commission shortly after. Maybe the Barmer would accept that letter without fussing too much.

I can't, as I'm not a UK citizen. Unless you mean local votes? I'm not sure if I can...

2 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

I can't, as I'm not a UK citizen. Unless you mean local votes? I'm not sure if I can...

Even for local votes in UK, you would need to move to UK, establish residency, local utility bills etc! And woukd you need a visa post Brexit?

Nice to hear from you arunadasi- how is life in Eire? 

I am currently applying for Irish citizenship- Irish ancestor , so going for multi citizenship.

I think there would be complications in claiming UK residence and registering to vote.

I just checked the Northern Ireland info and I afaik would have to apply for permanent residence.

This would also mean being tax resident in NI which I don't want to be for various reasons.

Looks like I'll have to suck it up, unles SOLVIT has a solution.

I'll keep this updated. Could be interesting for others.

On 27.8.2019, 20:53:10, arunadasi said:

yes, I have messaged Panda and I'm hoping she'll pop in. She's saved me a pretty penny on many occasions, and she'd up to her tricks again with a PM she sent me earlier this year!

I have been a member on here for many years now, and Panda is just so helpful and just wonderful. Haven´t been on here a lot lately, but if you don´t mind I would love to chat with you in a private message whenever you have time. Had some questions about Ireland. Hope you  can get this german bureaucracy figured out! :rolleyes:

Barmer is right and you would have to move over the border to Northern Ireland to get rid of them - after all, only then would you also get a pension from your new Wohnsitzstaat (UK)

I am rather curious about this statement (perhaps it was simply mis-typed or a slip...)

Why would moving over the border entitle anyone to a pension?  

To be entitled to a state pension within the EU (and including the UK - and this will prob remain true even after Brexit - otherwise there will be pensioners with pitchforks on the streets) you must have made contributions.  Arundasi has made contributions and mentions that she already receives a small pension from the UK.

State pensions for people who have worked in different EU countries are paid by each State at a pro-rata rate based on the number of years contribution.  So if you worked 4 years in the UK, 15 years in France and 20 years in Germany, each State will total the number of years worked in the EU to see if you qualify for a state pension (4+15+20=39). 

You apply for your pension in the state you reside in and they will apply to the other countries on your behalf.

Each country will then pay their pro-rata amount directly to you.

So I can't see how that part helps....unless the thought was that the UK, having the NHS, would absolve the German healthcare system of their duty to insure her?   But if that were the case, then surely the Irish system which is based on exactly the same principles would done just as well?

As it is the UK must pay for the healthcare of their citizens who retire abroad in France or Spain.  I cannot see in fairness why they would shoulder the costs of EU citizens having not contributed to their system retiring to the UK?  Or that Ireland should do the same?

EU State pensions

@eucomis1 You got the wrong end of the stick. Arunadasi is entitled to her UK pension wherever she lives. My understanding is that the point that Panda is making is that her German health insurer (Barmer) can only be stopped from demanding that she be a member (and pay her dues) if she lives in another state that's a member of the union and that pays her a state pension.

So, arunadasi is a member of the Krankenversicherung für Rentner (KVfR). She gets a state pension from Germany and a state pension from the UK. She lives in Ireland, where she doesn't get a state pension. This means she pays health insurance in Germany. If she moves to the UK, as she does get a state pension from the UK, she doesn't pay health insurance contributions in Germany anymore.

On 27.8.2019, 23:22:44, arunadasi said:

Yes, I do get a small UK pension, as well as Witwengeld from the Versorgungsamt Baden-Wuerttemberg, and money earned through work I do in Ireland. It's exactly  this I'm trying to figure out. What does that "nur" mean?

yes, I have messaged Panda and I'm hoping she'll pop in. She's saved me a pretty penny on many occasions, and she'd up to her tricks again with a PM she sent me earlier this year!

I have been a member on here for many years now, and Panda is just so helpful and just wonderful. Haven´t been on here a lot lately, but if you don´t mind I would love to chat with you in a private message whenever you have time. Had some questions about Ireland. Hope you  can get this german bureaucracy figured out! :rolleyes:

On 27.8.2019, 23:22:44, arunadasi said:

Yes, I do get a small UK pension, as well as Witwengeld from the Versorgungsamt Baden-Wuerttemberg, and money earned through work I do in Ireland. It's exactly  this I'm trying to figure out. What does that "nur" mean?

I have been a member on here for many years now, and Panda is just so helpful and just wonderful. Haven´t been on here a lot lately, but if you don´t mind I would love to chat with you in a private message whenever you have time. Had some questions about Ireland. Hope you  can get this german bureaucracy figured out! :rolleyes: Sorry for the double post!!!! I tried to answer the question what nur means, and it somehow included quotes and all...maybe someone can delete it since this is not possible for me to do? :D

8 hours ago, germanyherewecome said:

if you don´t mind I would love to chat with you in a private message whenever you have time.

Write away :)

Usually people don't bother asking me whether they can send me a private message, so extra points for that ;)