Rental Contract Cancellation due to Job Loss

7 posts in this topic

Hello Guys,

I came to Germany on June 2019 and joined a company ,Starting August 2019 the company said they are not able to find a suitable project and they told me to serve notice period which will end in September mid ,Now the problem is i have signed a rental contract and it will end in Dec.

in this case What should i do ,How to cancel the contract if i  do not want to pay the rent for remaining months ?

P.S. I cannot get unemployment insurance also because i have worked only for 2 months here.

Please HELP.

Thanks,

ajaj

Unless your rental contract states that  you can get out of it if you lose your job, you are at the mercy of your landlord.  I would suggest for you to talk to the landlord immediately, explain your situation and ask if they will let you leave early.  If they say no, you will have to pay until Dec. You can ask the landlord if they are open to you finding another tenant to take over (nachmieter).  The landlord still has to approve the person you find.  If you find another paying tenant to move in which the landlord approves off, then you are out.

9 hours ago, ajaj said:

I came to Germany on June 2019 and joined a company ,Starting August 2019 the company said they are not able to find a suitable project and they told me to serve notice period which will end in September mid ,

Automotive contractor?

Usually unfurnished rentals are on a 3 month notice period which can be given at anytime.   It sounds like you're renting some kind of furnished apartment with a minimum tenancy period ?

I think if you de-register (abmelden) and leave the country, any Germany contracts are cancelled if you provide proof of de-registration.     You would literally need to move out, de-register and give it to the landlord. 

Another option is to find a tenant to take over the rental agreement after agreeing with the landlord.

He maybe within his rights to keep your deposit though.    This should have been paid into a deposit account where your signature and the landlords signature are required to get it paid out.

Good luck.

Cancelling the rental agreement needs to be in writing and delivered with proof of delivery.    And any other contracts must be cancelled in writing the way the contract says with a delivered receipt.

Not cancelling contracts and leaving the country means you could be in for a big bill if you return.

25 minutes ago, Beer-Monster said:

I think if you de-register (abmelden) and leave the country, any Germany contracts are cancelled if you provide proof of de-registration. 

No, that´s not the case when it comes to rental contracts. Even though I remember a court ruling which deemed it unreasonable to hold a tenant to the lease contract after having moved out. Don´t remember the circumstances though (I think he was broke).

If you can´t find a Nachmieter maybe you could sublet or try airbnb and similiars (you´d probably need landlord´s consent though depending on what your contract stipulates).