Great villages near Munich with good transport and schools

12 posts in this topic

Hello

we are a German-American family with twins in Vorschule. We plan to move to Munich in May 2020. I am interested in any suggestions on good villages near Munich- if anyone has experience. We are hoping for a larger home with a garden similar to what we are leaving behind in Richmond London. Is anyone enjoying life outside of Munich but still close enough to take advantage. High walk ability and good local schools? 

Thank you

I can recommend Holzkirchen. Halfway between the Alps for the skiing/mountain biking and the city itself (quite why everyone is crazy about living inside Munich escapes me).

if you like views like this a short drive away, then there you go...

Image result for kloster reutberg

The beergarden beneath this Kloster gets packed even midweek.

The of course there's the biking...

Image result for taubenberg

Most unfair of me, i only included summer pics. So to remedy that...

Image result for langlauf karwendel

Last winter the snow was two metres high and my wife ski'd on the roof of one building. (Karwendel)

Image result for tortalalm karwendel

This places serves fresh buttermilk from the cow in season. My wife loves this ghastly stuff for some reason, so I just have a beer.

Yeah - both our kids went through the local State schools from kindergarden to high school (gymnasium - not a fitness place, a school!). All were pretty good but gymnasium does get tougher. Be warned however, your child may break a leg on the school ski holiday.... ;)

On 8/23/2019, 6:32:59, LondonMama said:

We plan to move to Munich in May 2020. I am interested in any suggestions on good villages near Munich

Munich is big and crossing the city can take a lot of time. Where is your job located within Munich?

Good question - both my husband and I are working in IT and largely remotely.  We consider the airport to be important so would consider something in the north or east. 

As for great villages around Munich?  There are many.. without knowing what part of Munich someone will be working.. its hard to advise.

If the airport is important then you should be considering places like Erding, Freising or anywhere on the S1 or S8 S-Bahns that service the airport, however those towns within reach of MUC can also be quite expensive, although you'll get more for your money then in Munich itself.

Will you rely 100% on public transport or have a car?

That's important as towns / villages not on the S-Bahn lines do tend to be cheaper.

I live out in the sticks, north of Landshut and about 50km from t'airport in a village with about 300 inhabitants, no shops or facilities within 3km but I just love the peace and quiet, looking out over fields and having neighbours ride past on horses ... etc. But it's certainly not the life for everyone.

Maybe you should also consider whether you want the kids in a public school or preferable keep them within an English curriculum (there is a St johns school), or may be an international school? These are the questions that will make a selection of places to live much easier. Munich North/East is considered slightly cheaper in housing but then its the wrong side of getting towards the mountains as they were depicted here. Holzkirchen seems to be very nice but since everyone knows this housing costs are darn high. Starnberg even worse but has an international school. Munich international school is outside North of Munich. Freising is often praised but I've never been living there.

I lived on the east side in Heimstetten and on the west in FFB.. I loved both of the places.. 

When I was in Heimstetten, I would go skiing down in the Tirol area... but when I moved to FFB, Garmish was just as easy to get to... 

I havent lived north or south of munich, but I cant imagine that there are many folks on this forum that have worked in just about every single town, village and Stadtteil of munich...

Munich is in general nice...   

Find a place first (no matter where) coz its hard to find a specific place... Move in and simply make the most of it!