Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Defendant Covers Face

20 posts in this topic

I don't crime blotter that often, but most of the time when I do, I'll see a picture of the defendant sitting down or standing in the courtroom with a folder covering their face.  It spawns many questions.  How do you have a trial with a folder in front of your face for the whole time, do you get tired holding it there, is there a special photo op just for journalists to capture the vibrant hues of the folders etc.  But just now on the Toytown homepage, the local.de 'ad' or 'newsfeed' if you will, shows a pic of the "man jailed for knife fight".  The man's face is blurred out!  While he's in handcuffs and is being led by an officer somewhere, I think he could multitask and have a selfie-stick folder or something on him.  Seriously though, where's the line here?  If the accused don't want their pics taken, do they have to cover themselves only during certain appearances or something?  

The press isn't allowed to publish the accused's (or even convicted) faces at all. As you suspected, there is one photo op granted on each trial day, during which the perps usually cover their faces with their hands or file folders. If they are photographed outside of this situation, their faces have to be blurred before they are published.

It's about protecting people's privacy. It's the same reason why they don't publish people's last names.

The only exception is when they've launched a public search for a dangerous criminal who is at large. The blurring then (bizarrely) starts again once the person in question has been caught.

yeah, the whole issue of privacy protection even for the convicted is nuts. 

But, then, see also what happened with Germany's Streetview - so full of blur-outs and now super outdated and likely never to get updated

27 minutes ago, DoubleDTown said:

I agree with this. Protect people's privacy while they are in court for their trial but if they are convicted then the privacy protection should be removed. There are pics today in the papers of the Syrian guy who has been convicted of stabbing someone in Chemnitz last year and he has been found guilty, sentenced to 9.5 years but his face is still blurred. His face should be shown now he has been convicted so people know who he is and know that he is a convicted murderer in case they run into him when he gets out of prison.

6 hours ago, warsteiner70 said:

sentenced to 9.5 years but his face is still blurred. His face should be shown now he has been convicted so people know who he is and know that he is a convicted murderer in case they run into him when he gets out of prison.

As if you will remember what anyone looks like or even remember anyone that was sent to prison 9.5 years ago. 

You're bordering on dilusional.

10 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

As if you will remember what anyone looks like or even remember anyone that was sent to prison 9.5 years ago. 

And you really think that people won't remember this crime in years to come? This wasn't just some stabbing that happened outside a nightclub that seems to occur every weekend nowadays. This crime sparked neo-nazi marches with nazi salutes and attacks on immigrants and these were broadcast around the world.

41 minutes ago, warsteiner70 said:

And you really think that people won't remember this crime in years to come? 

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill, let's be honest those that care to remember will, those that participated in the illegal Neo march and attacks on immigrants most definitely will.

The rest of us, really in 9.5 years time unless you're a crime writer/ blogger nobody else is going to give a shit?

Far worse atrocities would of happened that I can guarantee, Brexit for one when it does.:lol:

On 24.8.2019, 10:31:11, Sir Percy B said:

Far worse atrocities would of happened that I can guarantee, Brexit for one when it does

There you go again! Would HAVE happened...

I'll not stand by to see our language murdered like this on an English speaking forum.

On 8/23/2019, 11:24:04, Sir Percy B said:

Well said.

25 minutes ago, Acton said:

There you go again! Would HAVE happened...

I'll not stand by to see our language murdered like this on an English speaking forum.

And from a member of the aristocracy no less. :lol:

On 23/08/2019, 15:54:38, DoubleDTown said:

But, then, see also what happened with Germany's Streetview - so full of blur-outs and now super outdated and likely never to get updated

And around the world, who did google ask if it could make a product out of people's homes and streets? It's handy, but you have to admit that Germany is one of the very few industrialized nations that said take a hike to one of the prime internet oligarchs.

On 23/08/2019, 16:27:04, warsteiner70 said:

in case they run into him when he gets out of prison.

Pretty unlikely. Can you tell one Syrian apart from another anyway, based on a decades old mugshot? He'll hopefully be deported anyway, as most non-citizen criminals are. 

34 minutes ago, alderhill said:

And around the world, who did google ask if it could make a product out of people's homes and streets? It's handy, but you have to admit that Germany is one of the very few industrialized nations that said take a hike to one of the prime internet oligarchs.

Saw one of those awful Google camera cars yesterday and brought this up with Wife. The problem is if you are the older generation of rich who is unfamiliar with this tech spying - which it is - you won't know how to register with the Google authorities to blur out your house. 

11 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Saw one of those awful Google camera cars yesterday and brought this up with Wife. The problem is if you are the older generation of rich who is unfamiliar with this tech spying - which it is - you won't know how to register with the Google authorities to blur out your house. 

I've often seen Google cars in and around Frankfurt, it seems to be a growing trend at the moment, and the more people see them, the more acceptable and normal they become

59 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

you won't know how to register with the Google authorities to blur out your house. 

Why would you want to? Anybody walking past can see it I presume.

All this data protection nonsense is completely overdone, in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, Acton said:

All this data protection nonsense is completely overdone, in my opinion.

Maybe, until you want to change job and someones dug up some dirt on you, or you want credit only to find that something in your long distant past has been dug up. Or how about if you want life insurance only to find you've been put on a risky prospect list because of some unknown little thing in the past.

Ultimately it's data about you that's been treated as a commodity and you're not getting the benefit from your data.