Cost of Master degree tuition for RESIDENT (not Citizen)

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking into Master's degrees in Germany. Many of them list €X for foreign tuition and €0 for Germans. 

I'm a permanent resident of Germany, but not a German nor EU citizen. My residency is based on marriage to an EU citizen (not a, specifically, German citizen.)

Do residents qualify for free tuition, or only citizens?

As a P.S. - what is the difference (regarding German jobs and qualifications - AKA salary) between a Masters and a PG-Diplom (PG-cert)?

12 hours ago, burningkrome said:

Do residents qualify for free tuition, or only citizens?

Where do you want to study? E.g. Uni Stuttgart does list (among others) both Niederlassungserlaubnis and EU marriage as exceptions.

https://www.student.uni-stuttgart.de/studienorganisation/formalitaeten/gebuehren-und-beitraege/studiengebuehren/

The list is very long and covers most people already living in Germany. It seems they mostly want people coming to Germany specifically to study to pay.

Maybe other Unis or states (in Germany education is foremost in the hands of the 16 Länder) have similar rules but I'm too lazy to research all of them. My guess is all make an exception for family of EU citizens.

I'm looking to study online, if possible. If not, part time in the Baden-Wurttemberg area. I wonder if there's a state-wide site which describes this (versus each individual University?)

2 hours ago, burningkrome said:

I'm looking to study online, if possible. 

As a P.S. - what is the difference (regarding German jobs and qualifications - AKA salary) between a Masters and a PG-Diplom (PG-cert)?

What do want to study and why (certain degrees won't improve your job prospects enough to make them worth the time and effort)? Most online programmes will not really help you on the German labour market.

The DAAD has a pretty good database, but not all programmes are included.