Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Travelling with a 2.5 month old

16 posts in this topic

Hello all.

We are due our baby March 25th..My sister has booked her wedding last month for June 22nd in Mexico. Back last year before the wedding was booked and before we had planned a baby she asked me to be bridesmaid. So the question is what is everyones opinion on bringing a (assuming everything is on time and goes well) a 2.5 month old to Cancun for a week. Obviously there is the chance that passports do not come through. I've already told her chances are slim based on vaccinations etc but tbh I've no idea what dangers there are of bringing a small baby in a plane for this length of time without all their shots and to another country with different diseases etc.

I want to be able to give her a clearer answer (I've so far said probably not) but at the moment I am soo confused as to what the general consensus is on the topic. 

A 2month old baby's immune system is still under-developed. The risk of infection is very real. It is doable with all practical research and supplies, and airline may require a doctor 's 

letter approving travel.

Unless this was an urgent case for travel, I would not advise this. ( As RN)

I would not take a baby that young anywhere near an airport.  Hell, *I* get sick almost every time I fly.  

Will you be staying in a family home with people you know well and trust to support you?

A small baby in an unfamiliar environment with hightened risk of infection from the plane is not a good combination.

Not trying to fearmonger, but ask your doctor about Zika before you travel.  I skipped a trip because of it.  

Your kid can't get a vaccination for zika afaik and won't necessarily have gotten any vaccines yet, but that's between you and your doc.  

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/09/how-does-zika-affect-the-toddler-brain/498578/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/zika-exposure-even-after-birth-may-lead-to-brain-damage/

For those concerned about the airport, the security checkpoint trays are a hotspot for grime.  Every single person in the airport has to touch those trays.  I took my kids on international flights when they were just a couple months old.  They managed much better than we did tbh.  Don't know if it helped, but I've always made the little ones eat/drink during ascent and descent.  Seemed to help equalize the pressure in their ears, but I may have simply been lucky all those times.  

7 hours ago, BB1990 said:

confused as to what the general consensus is on the topic. 

On Toytown there is rarely consensus.  But there will always be someone here to tell you you're doing it wrong.  Welcome to deutschland Toytown.  

On a more serious note, just ask your doctor.  They probably won't know off-hand but will be able to look it up.  Ask them what they'd do if it was their child.  And if you're really just looking for an excuse not to go.. just don't go.  Congrats!

If not going means a family disruption, then go.  Start planning now for someone to care for your baby in Germany while you're gone.

There - now you can focus on whether this is the solution you want, and whether anything else is possible. :) 

On 8/20/2019, 1:12:46, katheliz said:

If not going means a family disruption, then go.  Start planning now for someone to care for your baby in Germany while you're gone.

Perhaps you could contextualise your advice with an indication of the timeframe of your experiences as a first time parent. The decade should suffice. 

Hello OP, I remember your other post.

Only you can decide if it's really worth the (potential) hassles. I've heard both good and bad tales about travelling with an infant, but until the baby is there and it's 2 months you will not really know how much stress it will be.

Personally, for a one-week trip, it doesn't seem worth it, even granting it is your sister's wedding. As I said in the other thread, there's just still so much going on at 2 months. One day, she may have children herself, and will understand why travelling is/was too difficult, so don't sweat it. I get that it's not ideal. My dad and quite a lot of friends from back home couldn't come to my wedding, but eh, life goes on.   

And aren't you Irish? Presumably your sister is too. I know personal choices, etc. etc... but why fly all the way to Mexico from Ireland to get married? Cancun has nice beaches and water and the nearby Mayan sites, but it's also a very touristy block of hotels and touts with American fast food (nearly at American prices) lining the strip. It doesn't really scream 'romantic' to me. Spring Break (for American college kids) is anywhere from early to late March (mostly mid-March), so you'll also have to reckon with packs of drunk/hungover and horny American 18 year olds anywhere you go.

Any chance of your sister moving her destination wedding to Germany instead? (Probably scratch that... The process is not impossible, but would include a great deal of paperwork and waiting.)

Well, I moved with a three month old from the USA to the UK via Germany and it worked just fine, despite living out of a suitcase for 6 weeks. They aren't mobile at that stage, so invest in a good baby carrier, take 3 times as many nappies and food supply (so there is no change in food, if you are not breastfeeding) as you think you need and you are good to go.

You do not need any certificates for the airlines, most airlines don't like carrying children that are less that 2 weeks old, but at 2 months, no problem.

The only 'trick' we had is that we weaned our bottle fed kid onto room temperature baby milk, so a bottle of Evian, some powder, a clean and some hand disinfectant and you are good to go, none of this "would you be able to heat up our bottle please" etc etc.

To - OP, all good wishes for your future treasure!  Marianne had a good experience, and many parents will say the same.

I am not saying you need a letter for the airline, but suggest you check with their policies.

There are so many bugs around these days, that I would be very cautious.

Speak with your obs doctor/ midwife, and see what they say.

The problem is that, unless you want to cancel now, you won't really be able to make a decision until the baby is there. Some babies are easy and quiet, some scream for hours on end. Some need total silence and darkness for falling asleep, some have problems feeding and need a certain environment. 

Also remember that the little one will share a seat with you so you will have to hold the baby or - if you have a spot right in front of a dividing wall, place the baby on the floor in front of you. Even if you take a car carrier or board, babies aren't supposed to sleep in it for hours on end. 

Our baby was very easy and we took him to a campground a 4 hour drive away at 3 months old. Would I do it again? Probably, but I underestimated how stressful it would be. 

How about telling your sister you can't be her bridesmaid - because as such you would have to play an active role in the wedding which might be too much - and not make a final decision on whether to attend or not until the little one is there and you know him/her a bit better? 

Babies need peace and quiet and their mummy and her breast milk. I did not even take my lo on a bus till she was three months old. Yes, really. So loud and bone shaking and stinky and people coughing into your face while they get a peek at the lo. :huh: It is cruelty to schlep such a small being half way around the globe. I would never do that. But that is me. You may be surprised at how (over)protective you become when you become a lactating mother. (In retrospect I can see I was slightly more bizarre than usual but I do not think I was very wrong.) Slightly grizzly bearish in my case.

My mum reminded me they used to bring them up in caves. Well, yeah. And not all of all them did well.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I've been thinking a lot about it and told my sister that she could count me out for the moment. She is totally fine about it.  was more feeling guilty about missing the little sis' wedding and was trying to see if maybe I was being too overprotective of the unborn but no, I think my feelings are justified! Given the flight length and different potential for diseases even in a nice resort I think the risks outweigh everything.  I might join in by video for a speech or something! :D 

Ha..not a chance of her moving the wedding. She is in her early twenties so Mexico suits both budget and what they are looking for in a wedding. 

but why fly all the way to Mexico from Ireland to get married? Cancun has nice beaches and water and the nearby Mayan sites, but it's also a very touristy block of hotels and touts with American fast food (nearly at American prices) lining the strip. It doesn't really scream 'romantic' to me. Spring Break (for American college kids) is anywhere from early to late March (mostly mid-March), so you'll also have to reckon with packs of drunk/hungover and horny American 18 year olds anywhere you go.

Appreciate the feedback and knowing that I am not being to OTT on this :)

Living far away from family causes us to make hard decisions.

When one of my three sisters married in California, another was living far away in Indiana.  Her boss wouldn't give her time off to make a three-day weekend trip to CA, and to this day - 30 years later - she regrets she didn't just tell him 'I quit' and get on the plane.

How old was she when she made the, in retrospect, regrettable decision? How difficult would it have been for her to get a similar job with similar prospects? 

I am still regretting a ham dandwich I ate two days ago. It lays as heavily on my mind as it did on my stomach.

She was 38 and would have had no trouble getting another job.  She just wasn't thinking outside the box.
Some of my dreams have solved problems for me.  Last night I had a dream that involved two lengthy flights in quick succession, which had me distressed.  Suddenly (still dreaming), I realized I could cancel the second because it was work-related and I'm 13 years retired.  Instant joy.

I wish my sister could have had that joy in real life.