Translation software for freelancers

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here actually use the translation software on offer, is it any better than online options e.g. Reverso, Linguee, etc., and are you pleased with the programme you use? There's such a large selection I don't know where to start. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Many thanks and cheers....

Maybe you should tell us what you need to translate? Some are better for some applications than others.

I use DeepL for everyday use and I find it excellent.

Hi there,

I quite agree, pmd, DeepL is excellent as they translate and offer alternative synonyms.

In answer your question, Acton, I wouldn't want to tackle either technical or medical translation, just stinknormale journalistic type texts.

Hmmm, it seems not many freelancers rely on translation software and prefer the online options. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers....

Speaking as a professional translator for German-English, I can say that DeepL is very good, It is still quite new, so the accuracy-level ist somewhere between 95% and 99%.

It still makes mistakes but you should find these when you correct the translated text. I suggest you get into the habit of correcting the translation twice as a matter of course. I have been doing this for years and find that it pays off.

I use DeepL to translate in both directions tecnical texts. I am very impressed with its database of information and also its capacity to learn. Things I have corrected consistently to follow my house style are now offered as standard. Careful control,is always necessary but I do feel it is working with me not against me.

What do you mean by "translation software"? Translation memory software such as Trados or Wordfast, MemoQ or Across? I have used all 4, and currently focus on Trados. If you want information about those, maybe go to Proz.com or another translating website?

anne k - I don't really do much translation as such, it's more of a sideline, so I rather think that the memory software you mention is eine Nummer zu groß für mich, so to speak.

Kommentarlos - I use Deepl as well and find it so good I was considering registering for the Pro version. Have you registered at all?

onemark - I have just discovered your comment. I find certain contractors don't like their texts being translated online for security reasons which means you miss out on that work. I was wondering if the Pro-Version gives clients a good measure of security/confidentiality which is why I asked Kommentarlos if he had registered.

9 hours ago, mgr said:

find certain contractors don't like their texts being translated online for security reasons which means you miss out on that work.

...such as my company. Online translation is completely forbidden.

10 hours ago, mgr said:

I was wondering if the Pro-Version gives clients a good measure of security/confidentiality which is why I asked Kommentarlos if he had registered.

No. I am not using the resource for sensitive data, rather the opposite, and am feeding information in and adjusting it online to for it to be learned from.

If any document I am suposed to translate contains sensitive information, I read the document throught first and delete the sensitive information first before I translate it.

I've just discovered this - DeepL for Windows, an offline beta Version but worth a try.

Neu: DeepL für Windows

Die schnellste und einfachste Art DeepL zu nutzen.

Übersetzen Sie Texte in jeder Anwendung auf Ihrem Computer.