Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Shop window monitor...suggestions

17 posts in this topic

Good morning, looking for ideas and suggestions.

In the shop window I have a good number of example leather items.  Not really enough room for more.  A mate had a really good suggestion, or seemed so.  Why not have a flat screen computer monitor in the window with a slide show of additional items.  I like the idea.

I'm not a big fan of having cables all over the bloody place.  Looks...poor.  My office computer is not near the shop window and running a long cable I'd prefer not to do.  I know so little about technology and spending time at MediaMarkt or Expert is just not helpful.  Would Bluetooth be possible? Are monitors bluetooth equipped? I also don't need some massive monitor in the window...16" perhaps.

Would a tablet work?  There is an electrical outlet at both ends of the window under the shelf, so power is not an issue.  Just connectivity to the computer. 

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

What you need is a cheap TV with USB connector that is capable of showing a slide show of all pictures on a USB-memory-stick. And said USB-memory-Stick.

Put the desired pictures on the USB-stick, pull  that stick out of your computer, put that stick into the USB-port of the the telly, and start the slideshow with the remote of the telly... Done.

Your feet are the connectivity between that telly and your computer... :-)

Tell the bloke at mediamarkt  that you want to have a "Dia-Show in Dauerschleife mit Bildern vom USB-Stick"...

Wireless monitors are a 'thing' Several ideas in the article, or you can just use a cheap TV or similar with a chromecast. Or if you want the 'setup and forget it' solution, you could use something like a digital-picture-frame. I think mediamarkt only have one which is close to big enough, and expert don't seem to have any.

A few of the Chinese markets like banggood and alibaba seem to have a few interesting things, and this link on  alibaba seems to cover digital advertising devices in general.

@franklan, sounds like a grand idea.  but how would a monitor know to run the slideshow?  Would the stick need to have some type of programme or OS?

@pappnase, also a nice idea and not expensive.

11 minutes ago, BayrischDude said:

@franklan, sounds like a grand idea.  but how would a monitor know to run the slideshow?  Would the stick need to have some type of programme or OS?

The cheap TV knows that you want   it  to run a slideshow, because you pressed the "play slideshow" button on the remote control that came  with the TV. No software required on the stick... 

The problem with digital picture frames as mentioned by pappnase:  there is no  real demand  for them in the size you want them -> obscene prices.

There is demand for TVs  in your suggested size -> decent prices. 

If you already have a spare Monitor (or you can find/buy a cheap used one), and like to full around with electronics a bit, then why not try a Raspberry Pi solution, you can even set a schedule on when to Start/Stop.

Implementation example :  https://opensource.com/article/19/2/wifi-picture-frame-raspberry-pi

You can even use a Vesa standard case to build it in, so it will be completely hidden behind the monitor :  https://www.amazon.de/Digitalkey-Alloy-Raspberry-Unterstützung-100x100-Black/dp/B07QZZ94N6

@Alexnf, not a bad idea.  Seems I now have two ideas worth considering.

@slammer  I live in the Allgäu.  A wow effect is unnecessary.  Simple works.  The idea of a computer screen in the window suits.

17 hours ago, BayrischDude said:

@Alexnf, not a bad idea.  Seems I now have two ideas worth considering.

@slammer  I live in the Allgäu.  A wow effect is unnecessary.  Simple works.  The idea of a computer screen in the window suits.

Ahhh! Allgäu, the place where people think electricity is witchcraft. Got it. :-)

To be honest, if I'm looking to buy a traditional hand made leather item from an artisan, I doubt that I'd be impressed by a 3D holographic showcase.  

The whole idea of the product is simple, traditional, one man and his awl... not gimmicky flashing lights, booming dubstep and a slick demo that makes it all look like the new iPhone. At least to me.

1 hour ago, zwiebelfisch said:

To be honest, if I'm looking to buy a traditional hand made leather item from an artisan, I doubt that I'd be impressed by a 3D holographic showcase.  

The whole idea of the product is simple, traditional, one man and his awl... not gimmicky flashing lights, booming dubstep and a slick demo that makes it all look like the new iPhone. At least to me.

But then even a TV would be overkill.

It's all a matter of opinion and perspective.  A 3D hologram is not commonplace and hence a bit over the top.  A small, flat, LCD screen in the window is acceptable and rather commonplace as people have them in their homes. 

I also have to consider my customer base.  A 3D hologram would appeal more to people under 30.  Not necessarily new technology, but does have a wow effect that is appealing.  My customer base tends to be over 40.  They either live here or are visiting or sport minded.  Either way, life here is not rushed and not complex.  It's rustic and quiet.  A 'wow' effect in a shop window would not go over well and doesn't suit the environment. 

The flip side of that coin is what I do does not fit well in larger cities as I have been informed by numerous customers.  In larger cities a 'wow' effect might suit.  Not here and personally, as Zwiebelfisch rightly points out, does not really partner well with certain artisan works like leather, iron and jewelry work.  

It all comes down to understanding one's client base and the type of work done.  Too much technology can push people away in this industry. 

2 hours ago, BayrischDude said:

It's all a matter of opinion and perspective.  A 3D hologram is not commonplace and hence a bit over the top.  A small, flat, LCD screen in the window is acceptable and rather commonplace as people have them in their homes. 

I also have to consider my customer base.  A 3D hologram would appeal more to people under 30.  Not necessarily new technology, but does have a wow effect that is appealing.  My customer base tends to be over 40.  They either live here or are visiting or sport minded.  Either way, life here is not rushed and not complex.  It's rustic and quiet.  A 'wow' effect in a shop window would not go over well and doesn't suit the environment. 

The flip side of that coin is what I do does not fit well in larger cities as I have been informed by numerous customers.  In larger cities a 'wow' effect might suit.  Not here and personally, as Zwiebelfisch rightly points out, does not really partner well with certain artisan works like leather, iron and jewelry work.  

It all comes down to understanding one's client base and the type of work done.  Too much technology can push people away in this industry. 

You evidently know your clientel. I dabbled in holograms for a bit and while they are great eye-catchers having specialized content made by a 3rd company can get quite pricy, it´s great fun though and the stuff you can do with holograms is quite amazing.

Having said that jewelry and holograms are made for each other.

A wee update.  Bought a digital picture frame.  Size is perfect (15" diagonal) so it won't take up a shite load of space in the smallish shop window.  USB port, completely stand alone, easily updateable, power cord, remote (not needed) etc.  Cost was only 35€.  Nice. 

So does the digital picture frame do a slide show? You could set to change at a leisurely pace and attract attention without being flashy.

On 06/09/2019, 13:01:19, Metall said:

So does the digital picture frame do a slide show? You could set to change at a leisurely pace and attract attention without being flashy.

Aye, it does...automatically.  It has several features, albeit nothing fantastic, but suits my needs.  There is a built in timer so it starts at 9 and turns off at 11pm.  Can also change the brightness and colours a wee bit.  It's not overly flashy with the built in slideshow and that can be changed as well.  I''m quite pleased.