Aufhebungsvereinbarung (Termination Contract) after resignation

23 posts in this topic

I resigned with email last month and now the company wants me to sign an Aufhebungsvereinbarung (Termination Contract) which I find very strange. When I have already resigned why would I need to sign an Aufhebungsvereinbarung (Termination Contract)? 

They did not specifically reply to my resignation email, but in a later email and in the termination contract itself they are referring to the resignation email. Does the count as confirmation of receipt and the termination contract holds no value?

Can anyone recommend an employment lawyer in Munich who can help with the issue ASAP?

Did you already receive the Aufhebungsvereinbarung which your employer wants you to sign ?

If so, does it

- give a different end date ?

- contain any statement according to which you'd be waiving any rights

- contain any garden leave provision ?

Do you have a new job already lined up ? In case you do want/have to seek unemployment benefits an Aufhebungsvereinbarung may actually be beneficial for you.

Did you read your contract before you resigned?  What notice period do you have?  Did you write in your letter of resignation the exact day when you will leave the company?  

If yes, it is a very strange situation. If not this may be the reason why they sent you an Aufhebungsvertrag. Check and compare all the details as Lenny Nero suggested.

Before you spend money on a lawyer, ask your HR department why they sent you the document.

End date is the same.
A lot of them, like holidays need to be defined when I take them since I have a lot left, and I will get "wohlwollendes arbeitszeugnis" even though my reviews (informal) so far have been excellent.
No garden leave. My employment contract has provision for one. They don't need to make me sign a second contract for that.

I have 3 months notice period. I only wrote the day I resigned not the exact end date, only the day that I resigned. 

The situation is very strange. I have a feeling they are trying to trick me into signing something that I don't understand to cover up something that they did.

I do not intend to apply for unemployment benefits. I, thankfully, have three very promising leads for the next job, so want to continue onto my next job without a break in the middle.

I asked them why they sent me an additional contract. They said it is to formalize everything, which I find very shady.

I am not sure why they would want you to sign an Aufhebungsvertrag if it's the same end date. Maybe just to nail down the date if you didn't mention it.

It is a long contract in German, and my German isn't that good. Also my understanding of the German law is limited. It all seemed a little strange to me. I guess I should discuss the contract with a lawyer.

Can it be that my resignation was over email and they want a written confirmation? Can't they just give me a letter stating the end date. I don't think they need my signature for that. What legal requirements does the email need to meet?

As far as I know an email is not acceptable. It needs to be a written letter stating your full name and address as well as your employers name and address. It needs to be dated and it needs to be hand signed. It should contain a date of termination. There are examples available out there in this wondrous thingamajig called www. Google's your friend. So they can't just give you a letter stating an end date since technically (legally) you did not resign.

41 minutes ago, Jim Andrews said:

I have 3 months notice period. I only wrote the day I resigned not the exact end date, only the day that I resigned. 

IMO you haven't really resigned as there is no termination date.

As stated by Wherearewegoingto, the letter of resignation needs to bear a date, the address of your employer and your own address and a termination date and you must sign it.

You have to write when the contract will be terminated. They will see from the date when you wrote the letter and can check if it conforms to your notice period.

Your contract ends on the last pay day, regardless if you work on this day or are on holiday.

This may be the reason why they sent you an Aufhebungsvertrag

My understanding of an Aufhebungsvertrag is not only that the person stops working for a particular company, but that s/he does not take company secrets with him/her, or go to work for a very similar company the day after leaving the first company.

This might well explain why the contract is so long.

I think the OP needs to get a German-speaking friend to look over the contract and explain it`s contents to him/her.

8 hours ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

Maybe your email did not meet all legal requirements?

This! As stated here:   https://www.focus.de/digital/experten/bernd_storm/arbeitsvertrag-kuendigung-schreiben_id_5676197.html#h2-2

Eine Kündigung kann nur schriftlichper Brief oder persönlich eingereicht werden. Dabei zählt zur Wahrung der Frist der Eingang beim Arbeitgeber und nicht etwa das Datum auf der Kündigung oder der Poststempel. Eine Kündigung per E-Mail oder Fax ist in Deutschland nicht wirksam. Auch ein mündliches: „Ich kündige!“ hat rechtlich keinerlei Wirkung. Es empfiehlt sich, die Kündigung persönlich beim Vorgesetzten abzugeben. So kann sichergestellt werden, dass die Kündigung den richtigen Empfänger erreicht. Außerdem ist es ohnehin ratsam, das persönliche Gespräch zu suchen. Ein Grund für die Kündigung muss allerdings weder schriftlich noch mündlich angegeben werden.

Tipp: Vergessen Sie nicht in Ihrem Kündigungsschreiben um ein Arbeitszeugnis zu bitten. Ihr Arbeitgeber ist nach §630 BGB verpflichtet ein Arbeitszeugnis auszustellen. Ein Arbeitszeugnis bescheinigt Ihre Leistungen und ist für spätere Bewerbungen wichtig. Achten Sie auf die Formulierungen im Zeugnis. Es ist außerdem sinnvoll, um eine schriftliche Kündigungsbestätigung zu bitten. Arbeitgeber sind nicht verpflichtet eine solche Bestätigung auszustellen. Kommt er der Bitte nach, dient sie als zusätzliche Absicherung, sollte der fristgemäße Zugang der Kündigung zu einem späteren Zeitpunkt in Frage gestellt werden.

Cancellation can only be submitted in writing by letter or in person. The date of receipt by the employer, not the date on the notice of termination or the postmark, is considered to be the deadline. Termination by e-mail or fax is not effective in Germany. Also a verbal: "I quit" has legally no effect. It is advisable to hand in the notice of termination personally to your superior. This ensures that the termination reaches the correct recipient. In addition, it is advisable to seek a personal interview anyway. A reason for the notice must be given however neither in writing nor verbally.

Tip: Don't forget to ask for a job reference in your letter of resignation. According to §630 BGB, your employer is obliged to issue a job reference. A job reference certifies your performance and is important for later applications. Pay attention to the wording in the certificate. It also makes sense to ask for a written confirmation of termination. Employers are not obliged to issue such a confirmation. If the employer complies with this request, it will serve as additional security if the timely receipt of the notice of termination is questioned at a later point in time.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

So the safest way is to hand over the termination letter in person with request for written and signed confirmation. 

Use  https://www.deepl.com/translator if you want to understand the rest of the information on that site.

Here's a model for a letter of termination:  https://karrierebibel.de/kundigungsschreiben-muster/#Kuendigungsschreiben-Muster-Download-als-PDF-oder-Word-Datei

If I draft another letter this month and on paper wouldn't it extend my stay at the company by another month? Since it would be three months from this month then?

19 minutes ago, Jim Andrews said:

If I draft another letter this month and on paper wouldn't it extend my stay at the company by another month?

Why would you draft another letter? :wacko:

The Aufhebeungsvertrag is designed to terminate your contract by mutual agreement on the date you want to leave.

All you need to do is make sure that the Aufhebeungsvertrag doesn't have any clauses that you don't want.

9 hours ago, Jim Andrews said:

I will get "wohlwollendes arbeitszeugnis" even though my reviews (informal) so far have been excellent.

:huh:?

Why do you have a problem with receiving a wohlwollendes Arbeitszeugnis? Your employer is required to give you one.

Just now, engelchen said:

:huh:?

Why do you have a problem with receiving a wohlwollendes Arbeitszeugnis? Your employer is required to give you one.

I was reading online that this is too vague a wording and should be more specific. Because if I sign this I cannot contest in court later if they give me a below par recommendation even though my work was above par throughout.

48 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Why would you draft another letter? :wacko:

The Aufhebeungsvertrag is designed to terminate your contract by mutual agreement on the date you want to leave.

All you need to do is make sure that the Aufhebeungsvertrag doesn't have any clauses that you don't want.

Here comes *the* problem:

If somebody signs the Aufhebungsvertrag, the last sentence of the Arbeitszeugnis will be something like this: "Herr Müller verließ unser Unternehmen zum 27.11.2019 in beidseitigem Einvernehmen."

(Translation: "Mr. Müller left our company on 27.11.2019 by mutual agreement.")

And that is definitely not what you want. All blabla about you being a great employee is voided by the word "mutual agreement". Why would somebody agree to lose a great employee?

!! And make sure it is not an odd date like 27.11. !! That stinks!

The last sentence ought to be something like "Herr Müller verlässt unser Unternehmen zum 31.12.2019 auf eigenen Wunsch. Wir bedauern diesen Schritt sehr und wünschen Herrn Müller viel Erfolg in seiner weiteren Laufbahn."

(Translation: "Mr. Müller leaves our company on 31.12.2019 at his own request. We regret this step very much and wish Mr. Müller much success in his further career.")

So, yes, make sure that you resign, and not  by mutual agreement!

3 hours ago, franklan said:

Here comes *the* problem:

If somebody signs the Aufhebungsvertrag, the last sentence of the Arbeitszeugnis will be something like this: "Herr Müller verließ unser Unternehmen zum 27.11.2019 in beidseitigem Einvernehmen."

(Translation: "Mr. Müller left our company on 27.11.2019 by mutual agreement.")

And that is definitely not what you want. All blabla about you being a great employee is voided by the word "mutual agreement". Why would somebody agree to lose a great employee?

!! And make sure it is not an odd date like 27.11. !! That stinks!

The last sentence ought to be something like "Herr Müller verlässt unser Unternehmen zum 31.12.2019 auf eigenen Wunsch. Wir bedauern diesen Schritt sehr und wünschen Herrn Müller viel Erfolg in seiner weiteren Laufbahn."

(Translation: "Mr. Müller leaves our company on 31.12.2019 at his own request. We regret this step very much and wish Mr. Müller much success in his further career.")

So, yes, make sure that you resign, and not  by mutual agreement!

Can this be added to the termination contract? the language in the Arbeitszeugnis is defined in the termination contract?

The CEO is now threatening to sue me, if I do not sign the Aufhebungsvertrag and not replying to my emails anymore. What should I do in this case?

7 hours ago, Jim Andrews said:

The CEO is now threatening to sue me, if I do not sign the Aufhebungsvertrag

Sue you for what? Do you mean sue you if you stop appearing for work (as you still are employed in the eyes of the law given that you only sent an email rather than a proper letter)?