Leaving the country - what will I miss/not miss?

130 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2019, 5:32:26, yourkeau said:

I miss Bratwurst, good Bavarian cheese (specifically: Allgäuer Bergkäse and Austrian Hartkäse)

This reminds me of a few years ago, seeing off a tour-group from Munich airport. Some for this flight here, another lot for London Gatwick there, three for Belfast here, five for Birmingham here....right, that's it! Time for a rest and my own company. Hmmmm...could do with a bite to eat...but where?

Not feeling particularly hungry, but there was (maybe still is?) a brewpub by the name of "Air-Bräu". Made their own unfiltered beer, but the menu was full of stuff that I wouldn't have a hope in Hell of finishing, and I don't like sending food back uneaten. But....aha! Bavarian Cheese Platter! Perfect compromise. And it arrived with the rather good unfiltered beer - Blimey! Half a bakery of various types of bread (weighed a ton!) plus half a ton of various cheeses, none of which I'd ever seen before. And you know what? Everything was delicious. Germany's better known for Wurst, OK, but these cheeses were bloody spectacular.

On 9/6/2019, 5:32:26, yourkeau said:

53 minutes ago, Keefy said:

a brewpub by the name of "Air-Bräu". 

Alphadog and I had our last meal in Munich at the Air-Brau four years ago.  It was good, so good I don't remember airplane noise (though there must have been some).

Did you have the Henkersmahlzeit (hangman meal) at Airbräu? 

"Fua de ganz Obbrenndn: a wengal ebs iss aa" (for the totally broke: it's also a little something)

- 1 glass of tap water, 1 slice of bread and 1 cigarette to smoke outside   - € 0,99

7 hours ago, Keefy said:

...plus half a ton of various cheeses, none of which I'd ever seen before. And you know what? Everything was delicious. Germany's better known for Wurst, OK, but these cheeses were bloody spectacular.

Bavaria Blue, Obatzda, Weihenstephaner Rahmcamembert, Romadur, Ettaler Manndl Käse and of course some Feigensenf as topping.

Obazda ist Camembert+Romadur, even though I succeeded to make a good one here from French camembert and Polish Schmelzkäse, without Romadur. But I do agree that with Romadur it would have been much better.

10 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Did you have the Henkersmahlzeit (hangman meal) at Airbräu? 

Ha!  No, I just had a pastry.  @alphadog had a meal - perhaps a Kaeseplatte - and a beer, and she said both were good.

Henkersmahlzeit.  The Germans do have a sense of humor.

All this talk about cheese makes me realize that I really miss a good, strong-smelling and -tasting havarti cheese! I'll have to check the local Whole Foods store for that cheese. 

16 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Obazda ist Camembert+Romadur, even though I succeeded to make a good one here from French camembert and Polish Schmelzkäse, without Romadur. But I do agree that with Romadur it would have been much better.

No to the Romadur. In Obatzda, that is. Else: Gimmegimmegimme!!!

Obatzda: Ripe Camembert (the kind that takes a walk all by itself), soft (soured) butter, some freshly grated onion, paprika powder, salt and pepper to taste. And caraway seed (ground or whole depending on your taste) if you like it. Mix it all well, put some additional paprika powder and caraway seeds on top to serve.

3 hours ago, yourkeau said:

You forgot a table spoon of dark beer!

About 700 - on the side...

I would miss the bread for sure.

I would miss going to work in casual clothing a lot.

I would miss goodness. I think people here are generally very good well meaning people.

I would miss Swabian food. Probably more than I care to admit.

I would miss Schwarzwald.

I would miss environmental awareness and the appreciation that we belong to something larger.

I would miss the social mindedness.

I would miss the love of learning.

I would miss the bookshops.

I would miss living close to so many other countries.

I would miss the regionalism and the attitude that not everything needs to be big or a spectacle to have value.

I wouldn't miss the heaviness. There's nothing light about this place at all (where I live anyway).

I wouldn't miss the horrifically limited choice in foods.

I wouldn't miss the weather.

I wouldn't miss the customer service.

I wouldn't miss feeling like I'm walking through an ashtray wherever I am (even on a walk in the countryside the ground is littered with butts).

I wouldn't miss the smokers.

I wouldn't miss the tv or the badly dubbed films.

I wouldn't miss the backwardness with so much technology.

I wouldn't miss the impatience, perfectionism and inability to admit fault. At all.

But I'm not going anywhere so it's all kind of moot.

36 minutes ago, tokeshu said:

I would miss the bread for sure.

I would miss going to work in casual clothing a lot.

I would miss goodness. I think people here are generally very good well meaning people.

I would miss Swabian food. Probably more than I care to admit.

I would miss Schwarzwald.

I would miss environmental awareness and the appreciation that we belong to something larger.

I would miss the social mindedness.

I would miss the love of learning.

I would miss the bookshops.

I would miss living close to so many other countries.

I would miss the regionalism and the attitude that not everything needs to be big or a spectacle to have value.

I wouldn't miss the heaviness. There's nothing light about this place at all (where I live anyway).

I wouldn't miss the weather.

I wouldn't miss the customer service.

I wouldn't miss feeling like I'm walking through an ashtray wherever I am (even on a walk in the countryside the ground is littered with butts).

I wouldn't miss the smokers.

I wouldn't miss the tv or the badly dubbed films.

I wouldn't miss the backwardness with so much technology.

I wouldn't miss the impatience, perfectionism and inability to admit fault. At all.

But I'm not going anywhere so it's all kind of moot.

:) Great list!!

39 minutes ago, tokeshu said:

Yup. When you visit Italy and France you realize this place is a culinary desert.

8 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Yup. When you visit Italy and France you realize this place is a culinary desert.

Oh I don't know, more like a culinary dessert... Black Forest Gateau, Stollen, Streuselkuchen, Apfelstrudel, Bienenstich, Zwetschgenkuchen, Donauwelle, Frankfurter Kranz, Prinzregententorte... to name but a few... (Herrencreme too is delicious but by god, what an unfortunate name!)

1 hour ago, Janx Spirit said:

Oh I don't know, more like a culinary dessert... Black Forest Gateau, Stollen, Streuselkuchen, Apfelstrudel, Bienenstich, Zwetschgenkuchen, Donauwelle, Frankfurter Kranz, Prinzregententorte... to name but a few... (Herrencreme too is delicious but by god, what an unfortunate name!)

...Zwiebelrostbraten...

2 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

Mostly Austrian. it may have been that Hitler annexed Austria just for the pastry.

After a lifetime of many moves, I realised that  there was really only one thing that I missed.  Friends, family, colleagues.   And it was often harder to keep in touch in days of Yore!

These days,  contacts are easy with so much technology.

And most  food items can be found  in other countries, or online.

3 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

...Zupfkuchen! But as you can see, one can bake it wherever one lives. 

Was talking to friends a while back and the "When did you lose your virginity?" question came up.

Forty odd years on, I remembered with a smile, that mine was called, "Deirdre" or "Dee"  for short.

Her surname? "Flower." ;)