Leaving the country - what will I miss/not miss?

130 posts in this topic

The water can barely be used. people buy bottled water to have something to drink.

I drink munich water all the time and like it just fine.  It's really annoying to cook with but fine for drinking, and it's less markedly chewy when chilled.  I'd put it in the top 3 public water supplies I've sampled for pure drinking enjoyment.  

I can't speak for other people but the only reason I was buying bottled water for ages was the bubbles.  now I have a carbonator at home so no more bottled water for me.  I think Tap is onto something wrt marketing, too.

Who remembers when Coca Cola decided to sell bottled water in the UK only for the press to find out that it was only tap water rebranded?

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2016/05/time-coca-cola-tried-sell-bottled-tap-water-england-hilarity-ensued/

The tap water in our town in RLP comes from the natural springs in the Forest and is actually cleaner than a lot of bottled water. No micro plastics floating around in this stuff.

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

Hey Mike! But you have fado! That is wonderful!

And a bit political ...

Not all would agree with you here. :)

20 minutes ago, French bean said:

Who remembers when Coca Cola decided to sell bottled water in the UK only for the press to find out that it was only tap water rebranded?

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2016/05/time-coca-cola-tried-sell-bottled-tap-water-england-hilarity-ensued/

The tap water in our town in RLP comes from the natural springs in the Forest and is actually cleaner than a lot of bottled water. No micro plastics floating around in this stuff.

I would like to know more about this... Our villages streams here in RLp are all drying up!... 

Please can you tell us your PLZ... this will not give too much away, but will help me see how to possibly drill my own well... 

PM me info if you wish..

12 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

And a bit political ...

Not all would agree with you here. :)

:D Not sure how many on here know what fado is! It´s not the same as stifado in Greece!:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WimC9hksBaQ

Fado is nostalgia, a kind of folk music..people left Portugal to go West...can , I think, identify with the Irish emigrating  for a better life.

AND stifado is a kind of Greek stew..had it today!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM22m3AoUCQ

I am sure MikeMelga has his own opinion on the subject but I would hazard to say that it is a little more complex than Riverdance. 

Ha! Mike is a bit rough around the edges and will probably tell me to f... off!:D

Moi and I , on the other hand, am a sensitive Cancerian male!!!:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Hey Mike! But you have fado! That is wonderful!

Yeah, but you are a melancholic kind of guy :).

17 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Ah Keefy, does that make you a Fen Tiger? :) The region between Cambridge and Bedford is unique. I holidayed on a boat on the Great Ouse and Cam years ago and loved the place.

Tha's right, m' old beauty...born in Wisbech ("Capital of the Fens") - Dad from King's Lynn, Mum from Wisbech itself.

Although people might not think it, some of the Fens are quite wild - single-track roads along canals and drainage ditches, lots of ducks, geese, herons, etc and hardly any houses for miles around. As my Uncle Bob used to say about the Netherlands (he took part in the Arnhem airborne landings) - "It's picturesque in a quiet sort of way."

4 minutes ago, Keefy said:

Tha's right, m' old beauty...born in Wisbech ("Capital of the Fens") - Dad from King's Lynn, Mum from Wisbech itself.

Although people might not think it, some of the Fens are quite wild - single-track roads along canals and drainage ditches, lots of ducks, geese, herons, etc and hardly any houses for miles around. As my Uncle Bob used to say about the Netherlands (he took part in the Arnhem airborne landings) - "It's picturesque in a quiet sort of way."

Now we're talking. In my opinion the Fens are one of the secret beauties of the UK. Having taken boats from the Norfolk Broads and found it too crowded, we fell in love with the Fens. A boat rented from Littleport took us down the villages of Houghton (water mill), Holywell (where Juliet Tewsley hanged herself when spurned by her lover and reappears in the pub (decent pint of Abbots!) on St Patricks Day) Hemingford Abbots and Hem Grey, down to Bedford (I caught a tench night fishing in Longholme Lake!) then back up to Ely where I made a very anorackish brass rubbing which I still have!).* 

Anyone ever have some kind of trauma - grief, divorce, other sadness, rent a boat and cruise that region to recover. Magical place.

*These are all memories from when i was 16 years old a long time ago!

15 hours ago, French bean said:

As a hint: In Germany, this type of water (processes tap water) is called (and must be called) "Tafelwasser". It is not allowed to be called "Mineralwasser".

One brand that I know was "Bonaqua" by Coca-Cola. I haven't seen it anywhere since 1 or 2 years, though...

15 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Please can you tell us your PLZ... this will not give too much away, but will help me see how to possibly drill my own well... 

Shouldn't be a problem, if you announce that you will do that before you do it. You do not need a permission in RLP,  but you must give them the possibility to intervene...

https://bus.rlp.de/detail?pstId=8964214

thank you i will remember that,

On 26. 08. 2019., Tap said:

No, they just got into the habbit of buying bottled water because they were told it was better, it was a good marketing strategy.  Tap water is of a highter quality here than most bottled waters, and it's checked more often.

When I read your comment about going to parties and everyone sitting at tables .. my only thought was... parties? What are they? No-one I know has parties.

On 17/08/2019, 15:34:17, RedMidge said:

One advantage in living in and around a Tourist Spot  up here!  Opening hours are more flexible.

Even in the UK, shop hours and transit can be limited in village/rural areas these days.

In my aunt's village in Wales, they only have one food shop now and it's really expensive. Only for emergencies. The four posts offices they used to have have all closed down. Now... it's either 8 miles in one direction or 12 miles in the other for the nearest post office and weekly food shopping. And it's a relatively large village of 4,000 people.