Moving to Germany: Local contract vs. expat contract

25 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, fredchatel said:

Presumably, if one paid more, one could get a private room even with public insurance.

Yes you can.  And if you have private insurance and decide to sleep in a 2 bed room then you get money back!

Single rooms are anyway subject to availability.  So even if you have private, if the hospital has no free rooms on your ward then you have to share.    But at the same time, you might get lucky and anyway have a room to yourself.

Also, not all private policies are the same so you could still have private and have to share.

BTW:  A single room is normally exactly the same as a normal room, just that only 1 bed is occupied.  

You have concentrated too much in the wrong thing, health insurance is not an issue, you should get public insurance because you have three non-working dependants and they are for free in the public system.  So you will pay around 350€ a month for health insurance in total, which should be peanuts at your income level.

The real issue is school for your two teenagers, since probably they do not speak German you probably will have to send them to private international schools and they are expensive.   Around 15K to 20K per kid per year.    You mentioned your company will pay for their school fees, if like that, then you are golden.

10 hours ago, fredchatel said:

I didn't look for a breakdown of the amount. 300 or 400 euro are directionally the same for me

I was being specific for the sake of accuracy as others will inevitably read the thread.  

I'm not going to get into my personal choices re: health cover as you point out, it's my specific case, and I don't think we have much in common.

6 minutes ago, Krieg said:

You have concentrated too much in the wrong thing, health insurance is not an issue, you should get public insurance because you have three non-working dependants and they are for free in the public system.  So you will pay around 350€ a month for health insurance in total, which should be peanuts at your income level.

It's just where the conversation has gone. Folks everywhere like to discuss healthcare and costs and quality, etc. To your point, not a item in terms of the big picture. Housing... now that's going to be a challenge. Been looking on immobilienscout. Looks like the outskirts of Frankfurt (20-30km) have some nice places (teenage son and daughter need separate rooms) but big bucks. Makes me think that we should try and buy something, but I don't even want to start thinking about that right now.

7 minutes ago, Krieg said:

The real issue is school for your two teenagers, since probably they do not speak German you probably will have to send them to private international schools and they are expensive.   Around 15K to 20K per kid per year.    You mentioned your company will pay for their school fees, if like that, then you are golden.

Right. The company would pay. So short of getting off the wait list (huge influx of banking expat to Frankfurt from London), not a big concern.

2 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I was being specific for the sake of accuracy as others will inevitably read the thread.

Thank you. It's appreciated.