Atm charge

12 posts in this topic

Hi 

I recently took out 20€ from ATM inside Isator station using my euro bank card from Portugal bank. To my surprise it shows in my bank statement later that I have been charged 5.50€!   This was the first time I actually have been charged here. And there was no warning beforehand. I am wondering if there is a sign for those ATMs? And is it legal that there was no indication that a fee would be charged before you proceed? 

4 minutes ago, Qianh said:

Hi 

I recently took out 20€ from ATM inside Isator station using my euro bank card from Portugal bank. To my surprise it shows in my bank statement later that I have been charged 5.50€!   This was the first time I actually have been charged here. And there was no warning beforehand. I am wondering if there is a sign for those ATMs? And is it legal that there was no indication that a fee would be charged before you proceed? 

maybe it was one of these "CardPoint" machines?

https://www.test.de/Geldautomaten-von-Cardpoint-Teure-Gebuehren-Ueberraschung-5486337-0/

There is supposed to be an information about the extra charges - but some operators hide that message on the bottom of a screen after you entered your PIN - which is legal, but still bad.

You should ask your bank in Portugal about charges as well. If they are part of a bank group, you normally pay no charges within that group, but outside...ouch.

44 minutes ago, Qianh said:

Hi 

Let me guess, an Euronet ATM?   Avoid them like the plague.   The problem is they are basically everywhere nowadays, in the whole Europe.  And normal ATMs are slowly disappearing.

23 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Let me guess, an Euronet ATM?   Avoid them like the plague.   The problem is they are basically everywhere nowadays, in the whole Europe.  And normal ATMs are slowly disappearing.

Euronet are one step from fraudulant, if you use a inland card then they operate like any other ATM, however if you use a foreign card then they will use the Euronet conversion and for some reason even if you are from a Euro country. Also they have fees that make your eyes water. You can lose up to 30% of your withdrawn cash.

I also have a pet peeve when I see the 4.95 Euro fee when I try to withdraw using my VB card on another bank´s ATM.

On Malta I also had a 3 Euro withdrawal fee but the bank reembursed me at the end of the month. This doesn´t happen here in DE.

On the same subject, I used my Germany EC debit card in a cash machine outside a supermarket in England last year.

The screen asked if I would like to pay in Euros and I pressed Yes. It gave me a horrible exchange rate and I lost 20 pounds for no reason. Tip? ALWAYS say NO. Then the transaction comes to your bank here and they can decide the rate.

36 minutes ago, Acton said:

On the same subject, I used my Germany EC debit card in a cash machine outside a supermarket in England last year.

The screen asked if I would like to pay in Euros and I pressed Yes. It gave me a horrible exchange rate and I lost 20 pounds for no reason. Tip? ALWAYS say NO. Then the transaction comes to your bank here and they can decide the rate.

Well, at least the robo atm asked you first! Convenience can come with a cost . 

3 hours ago, Acton said:

You never lost £20.00 for no reason, you pressed yes and agreed to their charges you just never read the small or smaller print.

But your right, in the UK or any other country outside of the Euro, if you're offered the option to pay in Euro's always select no and pay in the local currency.

On 14.8.2019, 22:56:02, Sir Percy B said:

But your right, in the UK or any other country outside of the Euro, if you're offered the option to pay in Euro's always select no and pay in the local currency.

That was the whole point of the post, Sir Percy.