Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bike thread

7 posts in this topic

Up until now I have been a beemer guy. My first one was a R750 rubber cow, then I got wise and got a 1100 LT, flying brick. That bike lasted until the clock read 239.000 kms and the clutch came, I sold it for a few Franks and got my second LT named “Iron Pig,” a former police bike which was a lot of fun, in fact I had almost that bit too much fun with a former police bike.

Anyway Iron Pig had to stay behind on Malta and I was bikeless for almost a year until I could stand the phantom pain between my legs no more and got a new, used bike, sadly the only one I could afford was an older Honda PanEuropean ST1100.

I am trying to like it, really trying to like this bike but we got off on a rocky start, first the battery dies, then the cylinder head seal went, then the valve head seal went and now the thermostat is giving me trouble. Add to that the hydraulic clutch is problematic in the lower gears.

But hey, it´s a bike, two wheels and an engine and it runs.

So what is your bike?

I and the kids ride dirt bikes in the MX track, but nowadays it is mostly the kids, so I am concentrated in training them and fixing their bikes, we ride all KTMs and I have a love hate relationship with the brand.   I have a 250SXF (4 strokes), my daughter has a 65SX (2 strokes) and the boy a 50SX (2 strokes).  Those bloody KTMs are high maintenance, but they are fine machines.  Sometimes I spend the whole day in the track fixing crap and it is no fun.   Just before the summer holidays I had to give up and bring the 50SX to the KTM garage and get it fixed there, at least it was a problem there is no way I could have found myself.   The problem now is the bigger kid will be kicked out of the kids track soon and she is still too scared to ride in the adults track by herself, so I will have to ride again for a while regularly and my back won't like it.   I will probably swap my back for a lighter bike, thinking about a Suzuki.

For the street I have a Derbi GPR50 which is technically a moped because I've been too lazy to make the motorbike driving license and I don't like to drive so much on the streets anyway.

Never liked the KTM´s, especially the newer ones that look like angry insects, I also don´t like the "plasticky" bits that look like somebody glued them on as an afterthought, I know it´s a bit rich coming from a Pan-rider, a fiesta plastica of a bike, but it gives a cheap look on a KTM in my humble opinion.

Passed my test 5 years ago at 60, first bike was a Yamaha Diversion 600cc.

Changed that for a Honda 800f VFR, loved it but as I'm tall, I used to get aches and pains.

So have just bought this Yamaha Tracer 900 GT.

Every review says what a good bike it is, and I have to agree.

Only criticism is the windscreen, have bought an aftermarket screen but still get a bit of buffeting. But hey, you're on a motorbike!

All day comfortable, light clutch, plenty of mid-range torgue, quick shifter and over 60 mpg.

https://moto-station.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Essai-Yamaha-Tracer-900-GT-2018-5.jpg

P.S.

I'd always been told that the Pan European was an all round good bike. Guess you just had bad luck. Ever thought of an FJR 1300?

Current ride is 1985 FJ1100 US import...   Fast as f#ck and with 17" wheel at the back and 16 at the front... sho just loves the corners!

In Chronographical order of ownership

NSU Quickly...

Yamaha FS1E

Honda Sl 125

Yamaha RD125

yamaha Rd500 Powervalve ( I wish I hadnt sld this one!!)

BSA. 1927 250 wedge tank

BSA B31.. 1955

BSA A7... 1949..

Kawasaki ZZR 600d...

Kawasaki ZZR 600e

Then came another 600e... ( First bike in DE)

Yam fj1100

Suzuki GSX400e .. 1984

Fs1G... 1975....

There are a few others but they were bought with Brother and sister.... 

2 hours ago, slammer said:

Never liked the KTM´s, especially the newer ones that look like angry insects, I also don´t like the "plasticky" bits that look like somebody glued them on as an afterthought, I know it´s a bit rich coming from a Pan-rider, a fiesta plastica of a bike, but it gives a cheap look on a KTM in my humble opinion.

The problem is in the world of MX there is no real alternatives to KTM, they became the kings of the sport and they are the only ones investing massively in developing their bikes.   On top of that, they are absolutely ruling the kids segment, there is nothing that can come close to KTMs in the 50, 65 and 85 category.  The only one that could come close were the Husqvarnas and KTM bought them and nowadays are basically almost the same bike.   Kawasaki makes 65s and 85s but they are like 7 years behind.  And Suzuki makes 85s but they are behind as well.    And if you buy your kids' bikes in the second hand market, there are basically only KTMs and once in a while a Kawa or a Husqy or a Suzuki will show up and that's it.  So there is basically no choice.  If your kid starts young then your only choice is KTM because they have 3 different sizes in the 50cc category, your kid does not have to go through all 3, but it is good to have the choices.

53 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Passed my test 5 years ago at 60, first bike was a Yamaha Diversion 600cc.

Changed that for a Honda 800f VFR, loved it but as I'm tall, I used to get aches and pains.

So have just bought this Yamaha Tracer 900 GT.

Every review says what a good bike it is, and I have to agree.

Only criticism is the windscreen, have bought an aftermarket screen but still get a bit of buffeting. But hey, you're on a motorbike!

All day comfortable, light clutch, plenty of mid-range torgue, quick shifter and over 60 mpg.

https://moto-station.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Essai-Yamaha-Tracer-900-GT-2018-5.jpg

P.S.

I'd always been told that the Pan European was an all round good bike. Guess you just had bad luck. Ever thought of an FJR 1300?

It is, don´t get me wrong, I think that the LT and the Pan are very close in terms of what they offer, but after 200.000 on two LT´s the Pan is almost but not quite entirely unlike a LT.

The seating position for me is just that little bit too cramped, the corner handling a smidgin too rank and the get up and go after opening the taps is a little bit more agricultural than even the LT.

I would not mind a BMW 1200 GS or the 1200 LT and I hear that the Pan1300 is a good bike for heavy and tall riders.