Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Vacation threat

7 posts in this topic

Hi ,

I'm being threatened by my employer over my vacation. I have made it quite clear that I need to be flexible with my remaining 2019 vacation as I need to go back 'home' for a legal issue. I have also assured my employer that I will take all vacation by the end of 2019. 

I have now been told that my employer will book my vacation for me if I do not 'book' it all now. 

Is this even legal ? Can they do this  , what is the law governing this ?

Any suggestions ?

Ask if you can book it but make changes later on.   Some companies want the employees to book their holidays early enough because management have to do some planning as well.   And there are some financial implications if you receive some sort of holiday bonus.

To be honest, your position is a bit uncooperative.

4 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Ask if you can book it but make changes later on.   Some companies want the employees to book their holidays early enough because management have to do some planning as well.   And there are some financial implications if you receive some sort of holiday bonus.

To be honest, your position is a bit uncooperative.

How am I being uncooperative ? The question is can my employer legally book my holiday for me without my consent ?

2 minutes ago, Jannerman said:

How am I being uncooperative ?

Because your position is "I am not going to do any holiday plans so you can't go ahead with the Urlaubsplanung, I will instead book my holidays whenever I feel like it, but I am good and guarantee you I will take all my holidays by the end of the year". 

2 minutes ago, Jannerman said:

The question is can my employer legally book my holiday for me without my consent ?

No.  But I do not think you want to start playing games with them because you will lose, in this the employee is always in the weaker position, the only real right you have is to have at least one block of 12 days of holidays per year.

I told you already what I think it is the best course of action, ask your boss if you can book the holidays now in the time you think you will need then but if are you allowed to do changes later on.   Your boss can as well do not accept your holidays application in the dates you need them, so I suggest you tread lightly.

9 hours ago, Jannerman said:

Hi ,

I'm being threatened by my employer over my vacation. I have made it quite clear that I need to be flexible with my remaining 2019 vacation as I need to go back 'home' for a legal issue. I have also assured my employer that I will take all vacation by the end of 2019. 

I have now been told that my employer will book my vacation for me if I do not 'book' it all now. 

Is this even legal ? Can they do this  , what is the law governing this ?

Any suggestions ?

They need to cover at work and also make sure all holiday is taken and not carried over. It is late in the year and like most people here I find this reasonable. I go back home every year and I need to book a year in advance to get the weeks. Your legal matter is tricky but you need to block the holiday, maybe even some around end of December that you can swap

14 hours ago, Jannerman said:

can my employer legally book my holiday for me without my consent ?

Everybody knows: Section III, subparagraph 7, second line from bottom of the Employer's Omniscient Penal Code by heart.