Is "VON PRIVAT" safe? How to rent directly from landlord?

6 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

What is the chronological steps of signing, payments, getting the keys, etc?

What steps should I take to make sure that I do everything legally correct and not to loose my money and become homeless?!

What documents/copies should I expect from landlord to show/send to me?

Background:

In what I call the "Berlin Apartment Olympics" I have tried applying for several apartments offered by Maklers and the problem is that (As I'm not German) so far after I visit, nothing happens and a few weeks later I follow up just to receive a formal rejection email. I have been in Germany for years now, have permanent resident permission, a good paying job with pay slips, net salary close to 4k per month, schufa, you name it. I send all documents, still the same.

But this way (directly renting from the landlord), I feel like if the landlord is unwilling to rent to another race/ethnic group/nationality, and for any reason, he will not give me an appointment in the first step. Therefor I can save a lot of time and headache. But as it's my first time in Germany renting directly from the landlord, I'm a bit worried of wiring the money from my bank account (Of course no grip money or western union) and still not receiving keys or realizing that the apartment was not owned by the person, etc.! So how to do it safe?

Thanks in advance.

I´d at least like to see proof of that the alleged owner is indeed the owner. In other words I´d ask for ID and a Grundbuchauszug or at least an account statement showing that property tax is paid by her / him.

11 hours ago, Pesar said:

Hi Folks,

What is the chronological steps of signing, payments, getting the keys, etc?

What steps should I take to make sure that I do everything legally correct and not to loose my money and become homeless?!

What documents/copies should I expect from landlord to show/send to me?

Background:

In what I call the "Berlin Apartment Olympics" I have tried applying for several apartments offered by Maklers and the problem is that (As I'm not German) so far after I visit, nothing happens and a few weeks later I follow up just to receive a formal rejection email. I have been in Germany for years now, have permanent resident permission, a good paying job with pay slips, net salary close to 4k per month, schufa, you name it. I send all documents, still the same.

But this way (directly renting from the landlord), I feel like if the landlord is unwilling to rent to another race/ethnic group/nationality, and for any reason, he will not give me an appointment in the first step. Therefor I can save a lot of time and headache. But as it's my first time in Germany renting directly from the landlord, I'm a bit worried of wiring the money from my bank account (Of course no grip money or western union) and still not receiving keys or realizing that the apartment was not owned by the person, etc.! So how to do it safe?

Thanks in advance.

You can skip the Makler and try going directly through the Hausverwaltung (either by visiting their office or applying on their website). That’s what I did when I was looking for an appointment and got offered two different apartments in Mitte at the same time. This was back in 2015, but the market was just as ridiculous back then. Interestingly enough, I never experienced any discrimination (I’m black) and didn’t even have a permanent job contract at the time or permanent residency. 

I showed up to every Besichtigungstermin with every document I needed neatly organized in a folder and speak German at a C1 level. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I think the biggest thing to watch out for is a landlord who demands pre-payment of rent and/or deposit long before the lease begins

rent is due on the first of the month, and you have three months to pay all the kaution so a landlord that is pushing to have these payments "early" is a bit of a red flag.  I made my first rent transfer at the usual time so he had the rent a day or two before the first of the month, and I set up the escrow account for the kaution and sent him that paperwork just before the lease commenced.  My landlord was totally on board with all of this.  I think some people also schedule the first rent payment for the day of the key handover but not sure about that.  

you should also make sure you complete a handover protocol when you get the keys - this is really important!!!  take photos and be really picky about defects you put in the protocol even if you don't expect a repair, it protects you when you move out.

Renting von Privat is very common now since they changed the laws about who pays the Makler. If the landlord hires a Makler to rent out her/his apartment then she/he must pay said Makler. If you hire a Makler to find an apartment, then you have to pay them.

We rent out an apartment ourselves. Never used a Makler even back when the tenant had to pay them. They do almost nothing for a lot of money. With the current housing market in the big cities it is very easy to rent one out on your own.

So for me, von Privat simply means no Makler involved.