Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Embassy post for US L1 visa application

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

Can I apply for L1 visa application in US embassy at Frankfurt? I was applying for L1 visa through my company attorney. They gave me the letter which has Munich US embassy printed on it. I am right now living in Munich. However, waiting times for Munich are quite long. Since attorney is on vacation, I was not sure what to do. From my own research on web, I think I can apply at the embassy which is not my place of residence. If I schedule the appointment once online, I need to pay the charges.

Thanks!

^or emailed the consulate in question? I've always found US Consulates/Embassies to be super attentive and quick to respond to email enquiries

The US embassy is located in Berlin.  There are consulates in Frankfurt, Leipzig, Hamburg, Düsseldorf and Munich.  You should be able to apply for a VIsa in Frankfurt.  Contact them to verify.  Note that they are closed this Monday (Sept 2) as its an American holiday.

On 8/11/2019, 10:04:14, DreamLight said:

From my own research on web, I think I can apply at the embassy which is not my place of residence.

I have done NO research, but my understanding has been that (1) there is an embassy in Berlin and consular offices in Berlin and other cities; (ii) it's a consular office that will handle something like this; (iii) not all the consular offices handle all issues; (iv) consular offices handle things in their region - for example, someone who lives in Berlin and wants to renew a U.S. passport must go to the Berlin consulate as a U.S. consulate in another region of Germany would refer them to the consulate in Berlin. 

Update:

I am not sure about US passport renewal, but one can apply L1 visa anywhere in Europe. I talked at the hotline and they confirmed me. However, process is really tedious. Once you have filled the DS-160 form, paid the fees and indicated the place for application it cannot be changed :(. You have to fill new DS-160 and indicate the place of new interview location again -- of course pay the fees again. The fees once paid cannot be transferred from one interview location to another, although the fees is always standard $190 in local currency. I think it is so because the payment processing companies at each location is different.

There is one exception to the above, location can be changed within one country without paying the charges again. However, one needs to contact the hotline, take their authorization, they will transfer the fees and then you can book the appointment. In this process, one would likely lose the new preferable appointment because appointments change very fast even within a day.