treatment of dogs in boarding kennels

53 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Henribear said:

The vet suggests that we actually just ask the kennels for info about our dogs treatment but it seems we are not an isolated case. Also I understand that not everyone is a dog lover but no one should condone animal abuse

I'm not sure that asking about your dogs treatment will help at this stage.  In what way did the vet suggest this isn't an isolated case? At that particular boarding kennel or kennel care in general? Did you mention the actual kennel? 

I only know about our local Tierschutzverein and heard that they often investigate dog breeders and kennels in the same way that the RSPCA do in the UK.  

I wish your dogs a speedy recovery.

What a terrible thing to happen. I hope you dogs make a speedy recovery.

On another note, you said there was no contract which is strange. How did you pay the bill and did you get a proper receipt ?

Please keep us posted how things are working out for you and your dogs.

We used their online booking form and paid online. We were told that the payment was confirmation of the booking. . I then wrote and asked for written confirmation. 

They were not happy that we took our own food but agreed to use it. We also provided contact telephone numbers and a brief resume about each dog. We also took their own bedding. 

If we had put our eldest dog in,  then giving medication in the form of a tablet would have caused internal bleeding.  Luckily he went with the puppy to my friend. 

I have asked the kennels if they can give an explanation but so far they are ignoring me.. I will give them a few days before reporting them.

I am very surprised that they don't want to clear this matter up

8 hours ago, emkay said:

I'm not sure that asking about your dogs treatment will help at this stage.  In what way did the vet suggest this isn't an isolated case? At that particular boarding kennel or kennel care in general? Did you mention the actual kennel? 

I only know about our local Tierschutzverein and heard that they often investigate dog breeders and kennels in the same way that the RSPCA do in the UK.  

I wish your dogs a speedy recovery.

This particular boarding kennels has come to our vets attention in the past. He hinted that they would deny everything and blacklist us just for daring to ask about this tablet. Fine, we will never use them again.

7 hours ago, Henribear said:

This particular boarding kennels has come to our vets attention in the past. He hinted that they would deny everything and blacklist us just for daring to ask about this tablet. Fine, we will never use them again.

Are you still planning to report them to the Tierschutverein? If your Vet has heard of these kennels in the past then it means that other people would have had similar problems and if other people had reported them or you were aware of possible problems then you probably wouldn't have left your dogs with them.

It would be good to mention to other people either verbally in your local area or on social media so people are aware of the issues with these kennels and don't end up in the situation that you did.

Trace elements have been found in one dogs urine. The boarding kennels are being given a chance to explain. The sedative is a fairly strong one and would explain one dogs dehydration. both dogs have significant weight loss. Both dogs attended the vets prior to going to the kennels to receive kennel cough , flea and tick treatment.

I have been advised not to broadcast the name of the kennels or the findings but to allow the authorities to deal with this. This is to protect myself from legal action being taken against me.

I have 3 regulatory bodies to contact

7 hours ago, Henribear said:

We used their online booking form and paid online. We were told that the payment was confirmation of the booking. . I then wrote and asked for written confirmation. 

They were not happy that we took our own food but agreed to use it. We also provided contact telephone numbers and a brief resume about each dog. We also took their own bedding. 

That sounds a bit weird, to be honest. I contacted a doggy day care and they had a long form I had to fill out, then 4-5 pages of terms and conditions that spelled out exactly what they would do, wouldn't do, what they would take responsibility for and how they would deal with a variety of scenarios. 

All the dogs that were there for boarding had their own bedding and of course you have to provide your own food. Not just in case of allergies, but also most dogs do not react to well to a sudden switch in diet. If I ran a kennel, it would be in my own best interest to make sure the dogs are eating familiar stuff as piles are much easier to clean up than puddles (sorry). 

I also had to provide proof of vaccinations and Haftpflicht insurance for the dog. 

The question is how far you want to go.

Just never use them again yourself. Give a bad review on Google, Facebook etc. Make sure other people don't go their to keep their dog safe. Get compensation for your vet bills. Report them to the Tierschutz or Veterinäramt. 

https://www.lmtvet.bremen.de/tiere/tierschutzbeschwerden-4686 

https://www.bremer-tierschutzverein.de/ 

Good luck.

I hope your proof is enough to make a whole lot of trouble for them. Pricks. If they can't deal with bouncy dogs or any dogs, they shouldn't be running a kennel. 

Our dogs are not bouncy . nor do they bark a lot. they are however typical rescue dogs, wary of anything new. if anything both would have cowered in a corner.

I have read the terms and conditions again carefully and it clearly states that in  the case of ill health they will use their vet and we will be contacted.

they said they provided a nutritious diet and she was certainly peeved when we insisted they stayed on their own food. we took bedding as advised and also an item of personal clothing with our scent on ( as advised). we also provided a resume. prior to this I we had telephoned and informed them that the dogs were Cyprus rescues. she said that she understood. 

However rather than taking them to a small space to start she allowed them the run of the whole place. Of course they ran and hid

we were never told of opening and closing times despite asking 4 times.

if she had telephoned us to ask permission because the boys were anxious I would have reminded her that in the resume I had listed key words that they had been taught. If that didn´t work then I may have considered medication.

To be honest I don´t think she gave a flying f*** about our dogs and shes certainly not answering a simple question. I´ll give her until Monday by which time I will have the vets report.

as for a public hanging, as much as I would love to, these matters are usually best dealt with by those with the clout to do something.

Thankyou for the links. 

Even if you don't intend to complain about the kennels online, you could Google their name with "ich" and "mich" to see if there are any discussions/complaints online about them. You could do a separate search for the name of the person in charge to see if anything turns up.

@Henribear, I agree with you that openly discrediting the kennel would be a bad move. Just let the relevant authorities investigate and hopefully prevent further abuse.   I've met a few dog carers who just don't respect the owner's wishes believing that they know best even if their treatment of the dogs verges on abusive.  

I was a cat carer (home visit basis) in the UK and occasionally help acquaintances here.  I often get calls from people desperately searching for decent, caring dog care.  I can't help unfortunately as we have several cats.  Most dog owners tell me about bad experiences they have had with kennels. 

It really pisses me off to hear about your experience. If they don't like dogs, they shouldn't run a kennel. Even worse with shy dogs who come with a bit of baggage and need particular care to become confident. And I hate that you even have to suspect one of them has bruising. You are sounding remarkably calm for that, but I suspect you were spitting with rage. :unsure:

Plus, you paid a lot of money to have your pets taken care of. Maybe that is the problem. Too profitable?

Re: nutritious diet, yadda yadda. There are so many different dog foods and preferences of dogs and owners. You can't switch a dog used to BARFing to dried food in a day and vice versa, for example. It's a recipe for disaster.

Let us know how this plays out.

the kennel owner has made contact. first she said that she didn´t believe my story. then she changed her story to - my dogs     bedding was put on the side when she was putting their stuff together and it must have slipped in but she did not medicate my dogs. my question is, what was she doing with a strong sedative, just casually lying around, in the first place. Anyway, not happy that she has convinced me she now wants my husband to call her.

This is the outcome we expected. the dogs were tested on Monday. we think the dogs were dosed on Friday night. we can not prove anything apart from a trace in one dogs urine.

I´m calmer now but when the dogs fell into a deep sleep all day Saturday and through to sunday I was frantic.

Also revenge is a dish best served up cold. the report goes ahead

2 hours ago, Lorelei said:

Even if you don't intend to complain about the kennels online, you could Google their name with "ich" and "mich" to see if there are any discussions/complaints online about them. You could do a separate search for the name of the person in charge to see if anything turns up.

I have heard of 2 cases where dogs escaped from this place, one where a dog died because he wasn´t taken to the vet. one dog, a old english, was covered in tar and had to be shaved and another with a flea infestation. nothing stopping chatting to my mates and asking their opinion. On the other hand they have mainly good reviews. i´ll give a very non committal 1 star

kennel owner has now telephoned my husband with a 3rd story. she has also contacted me on facebook after searching me, she is also emailing. she has  threatened legal action if we tell anyone of this "untrue story". The lady doth protest too much, me thinks!

all we have asked was if she could shed any light on the presence of this tablet. we have not mentioned drugging or medicating our dogs at all. these words have come from her mouth.

with the 3rd phone call from her we have made an official complaint.

apart from the vet and the officials we have not mentioned this womans name or the kennels involved. however friends of ours do know where our dogs have been.

With elderly relatives in uk, we know that times will come when once again we have to make an emergency trip. next time, somehow, the dogs come with us !!

Maybe you could look for a private carer. Someone who you can meet beforehand, maybe go on walks with the dogs. See how they interact. It seems like your dogs might be more comfortable in a private home with someone they already know? 

I don't know how good the pet carer websites are, but it might be worth a look. 

Thanks for the update. I do hope the authorities will make her life difficult! 

we normally use 2 friends. 2 dogs with each friend. that is always a possibility. However we have moved 5 hours drive away, they are not always available. we are looking into local people and have a visit booked with one lady. Then theres the 4 dogs           problem..have you noticed that when someone has 4 or in our case 5 kids, people say, oh what a lovely family. FOUR dogs and we get comments like, how do you cope, how do you keep your house clean, why 4?. People do not like to take on 4 dogs for overnight care. The eldest dog has some minor health issues and people don´t like to take on sick dogs. the excuses are endless.

we have looked into a new ferry route. longer on the ferry but less driving. the dogs travel well. At least that way I will know exactly how my dogs will be treated

1 hour ago, Henribear said:

With elderly relatives in uk, we know that times will come when once again we have to make an emergency trip. next time, somehow, the dogs come with us !!

In case you don't know your dogs will need to be treated for Tapeworm, this must be administered by a Vet and recorded in their pet passport, no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours before you enter the UK.

This is in addition to any vaccinations they have already had and has to be done every time you travel to the UK.

1 minute ago, Henribear said:

we have looked into a new ferry route. longer on the ferry but less driving. the dogs travel well. At least that way I will know exactly how my dogs will be treated

I strongly advise against using Ferries for transporting pets, they must either stay in the car or be put in a kennel on the car deck. You are not allowed to visit them while the ferry is at sea so if there's a delay or problems at the ports your dogs could end up on their own for a number of hours.

I always use the channel as it's a short crossing, 35 minutes, and your dogs stay with you the whole time.

23 minutes ago, Henribear said:

The eldest dog has some minor health issues and people don´t like to take on sick dogs. the excuses are endless.

I know this is a tough time for you and I wouldn't normally comment but as a dog owner sorry, why should anyone have to take your dogs fit or sick, excuses or not they are your responsibility.

I wouldn't dream of letting a friend let alone a stranger or kennel look after ours, we always find a work around and we accept that, if it means travelling alone and either me or my wife staying home to look after them then so be it.

I have to agree with @SpiderPig, dog or child I would never dump my dogs on anyone emergency or not and your own experiences demonstrate the exact reasons why.

Please don't take it personally but the only one making excuses is yourself, why couldn't you or your husband travel to the UK on your own?

Rant over.:ph34r:

52 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

I have to agree with @SpiderPig, dog or child I would never dump my dogs on anyone emergency or not and your own experiences demonstrate the exact reasons why.

With the best will in the world a dog is just a dog. In an emergency, for me at least, people always come first! I think your comments were very unfair.