treatment of dogs in boarding kennels

53 posts in this topic

Hi, we have just collected our 2 dogs from boarding kennels and we are very concerned.

they were very thirsty, hungry and smelly. hungry and smelly didn´t bother me.

there was a third pet passport put in with ours. One dog appears to have bruised ribs. Both can not stay awake.

Most of all as I went to put their bedding into the wash a strange tablet fell out.

we are taking it to the vet tomorrow as we think the dogs have been drugged.

On top of all this, we called ahead on the previous day and asked if we could collect the dogs early. When we got there we were made to wait 2 hours. They said to feed them. Where do we stand if the vet confirms that the tablet is a sedative. 

68562011_1493845194073428_45480533978775552_n.jpg

Very concerning indeed.  I imagine that the tablet alone wouldn't prove that any had been administered to your dogs . If it were my dogs, I would collect a urine and stool sample and refrigerate overnight before any of the potential medication wears off.  Not sure if it would be too long by tomorrow?  I suggest contacting an emergency vet today to ask.

Not being a Dog owner, I dont understand the huge concern... 

As a victim of a dogs natural hunting instinct and been chased down the road by an Irish wolf hound... I would have have no problems with sedating....

Lets face it... if the kennels had 20 lively and fistey dogs to deal with, it would be hell!

25 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Not being a Dog owner, I dont understand the huge concern... 

As a victim of a dogs natural hunting instinct and been chased down the road by an Irish wolf hound... I would have have no problems with sedating...

Lets face it... if the kennels had 20 lively and fistey dogs to deal with, it would be hell!

You can't 'arf speak a load of rubbish mate!

29 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

29 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Maybe they could use the same idea in Kindergartens...

In kindergartens they do not allow sweets or sugary drinks that cause Hyperactivity... 

A dog is naturally excited by other dogs... 

What does it say in the contract you signed?

No medication should be given to dogs in care without consent from the owner. another strange thing was that during the 2 hours that we were made to sit outside we didn´t hear a single dog bark. The dogs have now slept for virtually the whole of the time since we collected them yesterday, Sadly we can´t find an emergency vet. we have been told that if they are just sleepy but drinking then we are safe to bring them in tomorrow. I didn´t find the tablet until later in the evening yesterday but I could certainly get a sample today

I was wondering if anyone knew how we stood legally.

I guess there could be valid reasons to administer medication. Did you sign some kind of agreement?  I'm not a dog owner though re no barking heard...my friend was a dog carer and sometimes had up to 10 dogs staying at her home.  After routine walks, all would settle for a couple of hours or more.  I've also heard that kennels prefer collections at specific times.

Regarding your legal stance, ask your vet and local Tierschutz.  

What do you want legally?  You want the kennel investigated?

I am sure they are regulated by some authority.  You can start by asking the vet or by calling Ordnungsamt.  If you voice your concerns to the proper authorities, they may go pay them a visit.

they wouldn´t give us a receipt or a contract as I've usually done before. we left a german and uk contact number. we understood that they had access to a small run apart from once a day when the dogs went into a large compound. our dogs are rescues and very badly treated in the past so tend to be withdrawn when nervous.

our vet has just called back with a name of a drug that he thinks this tablet is and we are to take it to him at 8am tomorrow.

they have normally gone to a lady who looks after several dogs and been very happy. this was an emergency trip and new       kennels . I understand set hours but we had telephoned ahead warning them of an early arrival. they looked at us for 2 hours and said that the dogs could not be released until they had eaten breakfast but then didn´t feed them.

if the vet is correct it is a prescription drug and not for them to dose a dog with. thank you , well see what the vet says and be   guided by his findings

If they drugged your dogs to keep them quiet, it would be an absolute no go. Do try to collect samples. The vet should also be able to advise you what to do next.

What is the certification of the kennel? The ones I know are certified according to §11 Tierschutzgesetz. The people running it are certified trainers. Quite often they are part of a federation or similar, which have their own rules and regulations and probably would not be very happy if people who advertise being certified according to their standards not treating the dogs in their care right.

I guess the people to complain to/ contact would be the local Veterinäramt. Sadly though, a lot of times they cannot do very much. Worth a try though. And of course don't forget to leave bad reviews everywhere :-)

OP I'm so sorry to hear this, but are you 100% sure this was the case?

If so then you have many options from vets to local Tierschutz Verein and maybe others...?

Regarding your dog you have my utmost sympathy and maybe also other dog owners too who have used those kennels.

Don't let this go unnoticed.

As an aside this is one of the few occasions where I disagree whole heartedly with SP.

Malty...

How often have you heard people calling their dogs and cats etc "My Babies" My Children..." "A part of our familly" ?

Yes, every single fucking day...   

As a parent, I would NEVER dump my child on a stranger if I had to go and do something ( I dont care how urgent and how important) Fobbing my daughter off on a total stranger is WRONG!

So they are rescue dogs... Did the dog want to be rescued?  I doubt it... (but I dont know what it was rescued from, so cant comment)

I am not saying that the Kennels should have done what they did, if they did, but once again its the dogs "two legged friend" who once again interfered or did wrong to the Canine kid!

Blood tests taken from dogs. Medication sent for testing. The vet has an idea what the tablet is but can not determine strength.  Meanwhile one dog is vomiting blood, only small amounts but worrying. Both are now more alert. The dog who is vomiting appears to have bruising. He is having xrays. Nothing concrete yet to say our dogs were abused. The vet suggests that we actually just ask the kennels for info about our dogs treatment but it seems we are not an isolated case. Also I understand that not everyone is a dog lover but no one should condone animal abuse

Our reason for leaving the dogs was an emergency situation.  A friend had our other 2 dogs. The lady who normally has the bigger 2 was away. Please do not criticise me for paying nearly €500 for my dogs to have the best care for 4 days

What's. Wrong with you people 

Please ignore the non helpful comments from not-dog-parents.

Do you have an update on what that tablet was? What about getting in touch with your local shelter (Tierschuztverein) for advice?

Sorry to hear about your experience, Henribear. I hope that your dogs will recover in due course.

Here's a similar discussion in German: http://yellopet.de/hunde-beitrag-7154.htm

It sounds suspicious to me that you didn't have to sign some kind of contract. This suggests to me that the people at the kennels may think they can do what they like with the dogs, such as sedating them to save money on food. I agree that seeking advice, e.g. from the Tierschutzverein, is a good idea.

The testing of the tablet will take a few days. The boarding kennels used are very well known and have been running since 1996. As I explained it was an emergency situation - in the middle of summer - my concerns were to get the dogs looked after and to get to UK in time. it was not for a casual holiday