Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where can I purchase LMU PhD robes?

19 posts in this topic

I don't know if there's anyone here on this site who would remember me from about a million years ago, when the site was still called Toytown Munich, but if anyone I know is here...hello!

I'm looking for some advice on where to purchase a set of LMU PhD regalia (aka cap and gown). Is it possible to buy this online somewhere? The LMU shop seems to be, like at most universities, a shop for t-shirts, hoodies, and graduation gifts. I'm ideally looking for a place where I can order these online to be sent to Australia, however I do have friends in Munich who may be able to purchase them in person, if that's the only option.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Did you ask your professor? Or contact the shop at info@merch.de . Don't you normally rent one since it's just for one day? I sure didn't buy one when I graduated in Manchester.

Hi IPJ! Will you be wearing them every year at annual commencement ceremonies?  Yeah, ask your Doktormutter or Vater. Or student services. 

https://capsandgownsdirect.com/doctoralform.html looks like they do robes from a bunch of different schools.  Maybe all manufacturers do.  There's not that much variety, after all -- you need to know what color your subject wears, if your hat's supposed to be square or octagonal, soft or a plate, etc... 

Not sure that custom is the same here. When I finished it was a defense, round of cake and champagne (okay, Rotkappchen), and back to work.

The colleagues did make me a funny hat...

Hi Gen! Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check them out.

This is not for me but for my husband, and he doesn’t have a professor, because he is the professor. He did his PhD through the LMU many years ago, and now we’re in Australia. He normally just wears his current university’s robes when his students graduate. This time, however, it’s my PhD graduation! No, I’m not his student or even at the same university, but we’d both like him to wear robes to my graduation. Since he wears them fairly regularly for work anyway, I thought it would be nice to buy him the proper robes from the university where he got his PhD.

p.s. He got the homemade hat as well. :)

12 minutes ago, mako1 said:

Not sure that custom is the same here. When I finished it was a defense, round of cake and champagne (okay, Rotkappchen), and back to work.

Rotkäppchen is the cheapest available Sekt isn't it? It gives me a headache.

Rottkäpchen, skip drunk, go straight to hangover. It was in Stuttgart/Schwabs.

I guess there are robes for professors in Germany, at least according to wiki, but I didn't get invited to those kind of parties. (not Rottkäppchen). Search for Talar. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talar

3 hours ago, mako1 said:

It is so after defense.

Then the faculty send you degree certificate.

But there is ceremony 1-2 times a year. I think during the ceremony people might wear the gown. I did not go ceremony, so I do not know.

4 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

cheapest available Sekt isn't it? It gives me a headache.

wow...captain obvioius ;)

11 hours ago, SmurfLee said:

It is so after defense.

Then the faculty send you degree certificate.

But there is ceremony 1-2 times a year. I think during the ceremony people might wear the gown. I did not go ceremony, so I do not know.

Yeah, he didn't go to his ceremony either, because we were already living in another country by then. He just travelled back for his defense.

Ok, in case anyone is curious, and in case someone searches for this information in the future, I’ve found my answer. It turns out that there are no robes. I have learned from a very informed source that this tradition was abandoned in 1968 after the student revolts. So yeah, it’s a bit of a disappointing answer.

interplanetjanet - the robes do exist (so I am contradicting you and myself here) but they are never used. And if your husband is not LMU faculty, then he can't, according to tradition, don them (great pun! bonus points).

Doing a Phd at a German uni is just the sheepskin, only faculty gets the robe. The rest of us, Rottkäppchen.

The person I asked was absolutely someone I would believe on the matter more than anyone else (head of the relevant department). I suspect that what you’re saying is true now but was not the case before 1968, when they did have robes for the students.

29 minutes ago, mako1 said:

Doing a Phd at a German uni is just the sheepskin, only faculty gets the robe. The rest of us, Rottkäppchen.

Ah, so you were wearing a cape like red little riding hood for graduation?  Which uni did you go to?

image.png

3 hours ago, interplanetjanet said:

Ok, in case anyone is curious, and in case someone searches for this information in the future, I’ve found my answer. It turns out that there are no robes. I have learned from a very informed source that this tradition was abandoned in 1968 after the student revolts. 

That's right. Students at German universities usually don't wear robes during their entire studies and even at graduation ceremonies. At some, few, public universities there are tendencies to revive tradition. 

And some private universities, which have no tradition at all because they are newly founded, are trying to adapt to customs in the USA and the UK. 

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Ah, so you were wearing a cape like red little riding hood for graduation?  Which uni did you go to?

image.png

I'd love IPJ's husband to wear this just for her.

Don't forget to ask whether they have a hood as well as a cap and gown. Very important!

Congratulations and good luck!