14 posts in this topic

E0B6A338-B0B6-4656-9FCB-F729CF7C7BFE.jpeHi All,

I really don’t know how this forum works. I posted somewhere about this but there has been no response. Forgive me for creating a new thread. 

We need a new family for our cat. We adopted her 3 years ago. She is a relaxed, sweet, very gentle and nice cat. She never nips or bites, she never scratches anything or anyone at home, she does not run around and make a mess, she even does not make trouble with other cats that come over to our home. She only pees and poops in her litter box- always. Unfortunately, we have to move to a new apartment soon and we will be living in the 2nd floor. It is a very heartbreaking decision to find her a new home but she is an outdoor cat and she needs to go out very often. This was the reason we adopted her. At our new home, we can’t keep her inside. We have no balcony and the reason her previous owner gave her to us is because she always wanted to go out and we live in the Erdgeschoss, so she can go out anytime. 

We would rather not bring her to Tierheim as many people say that many cats do not get adopted there because they are being held there for some sad reason. We are hoping that there is someone or a family who live in the Erdgeschoss who would be willing to adopt her. We live in Trudering. Please PM me if anyone would be happy to take her in.

So why did you accept a 2nd floor apartment?

Don't you care enough about her to keep her in your family plans?

I also have a cat who needs to go outdoors and I wouldn't consider such a move. In fact I recently moved and her requirements were paramount, I found an apartment surrounded by farms and countryside, so many meeces for her.

Sorry to be blunt but a beloved pet is not some kind of fashion statement to easily be discarded.

25 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

So why did you accept a 2nd floor apartment?

It breaks our hearts too to have to rehome her. We adopted her from someone who lives in 3rd floor apartment because she always wanted to go out in the balcony and her previous owners were always out so she had to stay inside and she hated it. The previous owner felt like she is an outdoor cat and would enjoy having access outdoors. Hence we took her in since we live in Erdgeschoos with garden, for 4 years. 

Now, the owner wants to use the apartment. We had no choice. We needed to move. The only apartment we found and already signed a contract for is the one located at the second floor. Pets are not allowed. Apartments for rent in Erdgeschoss, in Munich, are hard to find or are more expensive. It was a tough decision. A long search. We are a household with children. We also have to think of this. 

I understand how it makes you angry. Our situation makes me angry too. It tears me apart. We are not discarding her. That would mean just taking her to tierheim and that’s it. We don’t want to do that. We just need to find someone who lives in Erdgeschoss or has a garden and would want to take her in and give her a new home. 

4 hours ago, ireadthereforeiam said:

Apartments for rent in Erdgeschoss, in Munich, are hard to find or are more expensive

yeah they also tend to be located near very busy roads, and even beyond road danger, they can get into all kinds of trouble eg if they get trapped in a kellar, end up somewhere weird in a tiefgarage, or meet with a sadistic individual while they are out and about.  No way in hell I'd let a cat roam from my current flat, and there is no way I'd adopt a cat that "needs" to roam for that very reason.  We have new cats showing up around our innenhof several times a year, and so far all but one has disappeared within a few months - a year max (one seems to still be going strong after 3 years but I rarely see her - last time I discovered her in my bathroom as I had the door open and she snuck in).  I hope it's because the owners eventually decided to keep them inside, but I also see a fair share of "missing cat" signs so...

the point is, just because someone lives in an EG apartment, doesn't mean it's a slam dunk situation for your cat.  Part of the reason cats stay at the tierheim for so long is because they are extremely rigorous about making sure the new home is safe and appropriate for the cat.  My opinion is they are a bit batshit on that front, but the fact remains, fully free roaming cats and big cities don't mix well, hence free roaming cats are harder to place.

it sounds like she was originally happy on a balcony, but that the owners didn't let her out there often enough.  EG residents could very easily have the same issue.  Maybe you should concentrate on finding her a home outside the city.

4 hours ago, ireadthereforeiam said:

I understand how it makes you angry. Our situation makes me angry too. It tears me apart. We are not discarding her. That would mean just taking her to tierheim and that’s it. We don’t want to do that. We just need to find someone who lives in Erdgeschoss or has a garden and would want to take her in and give her a new home. 

Please don't assume that all Tierheims are a bad choice in your circumstances,  Although I'm not in your area, I know of some Tierheims where adult cats are fostered in private homes or cared for in luxury enclosures.  I'd guess that there are several in your area and suggest that you make contact to discuss your situation.  Maybe another TT member can recommend a Tierheim to you... a major benefit for you and your cat is that they will properly check the suitability of a new owner and his/her home.  

Good luck 

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

It sounds like she was originally happy on a balcony, but that the owners didn't let her out there often enough.  EG residents could very easily have the same issue.  Maybe you should concentrate on finding her a home outside the city.

We used to live far from the city. We initially adopted her because her previous owner had another cat who was ok staying indoors when her owners are out at work, but she isn’t. She on the owner hand, wants to be out in the balcony always. So we volunteered to take her in since we live in EG and have a garden and far from the city center. Now the apartment we are moving to is in the city proper, we have no balcony and pets are not allowed. 

44 minutes ago, emkay said:

Please don't assume that all Tierheims are a bad choice in your circumstances,  Although I'm not in your area, I know of some Tierheims where adult cats are fostered in private homes or cared for in luxury enclosures.  I'd guess that there are several in your area and suggest that you make contact to discuss your situation.  Maybe another TT member can recommend a Tierheim to you... a major benefit for you and your cat is that they will properly check the suitability of a new owner and his/her home.  

Good luck 

We have also looked into this as a last resort. Because of how Tierheim doesn’t just let anyone adopt cats, this gives is a little comfort. I wrote Tierheim, they told us to ask our neighbors who live in EG if they want to take her in. I was told cats are usually attached to the place they live in more than they are attached to their owners. I am also comforted with your information. Thank you.  

Hi, have you checked Tierschutz groups on Facebook? That may be a possibility. I can ask a friend in Bamberg if she knows of anyone...

There's also the possibility of asking for placement help from dedicated private people like this:

https://www.private-katzenhilfe.de/index.php/home or here  http://www.tierheim-rottach.de/HTML/Private%20Katzenvermittlung.htm .

Wishing you luck.

16 hours ago, ireadthereforeiam said:

I was told cats are usually attached to the place they live in more than they are attached to their owners.

This isn't necessarily the case with all cats. We had several cats that we took to the campsite with us every weekend and at holiday time, which was no problem as they were so focussed on us that they even accompanied us to the toilet/washroom facilites every morning, waited outside and accompanied us back again. 

16 hours ago, ireadthereforeiam said:

I wrote Tierheim, they told us to ask our neighbors who live in EG if they want to take her in.

Isn't there the possibility that the new tenants might volunteer to adopt her if you ask? 

14 hours ago, bramble said:

There's also the possibility of asking for placement help from dedicated private people like this:

https://www.private-katzenhilfe.de/index.php/home or here  http://www.tierheim-rottach.de/HTML/Private%20Katzenvermittlung.htm .

Isn't there the possibility that the new tenants might volunteer to adopt her if you ask? 

Thank you for the link. We will look into this.

Our original plan really was to ask the owner to adopt our cat. We are in a complicated situation. Something about our contract. The owner is not occupying the apartment until October so this apartment will be empty before then. 

Today, someone from another block who also lives in EG visited to look at our cat. They haveto discuss first with their whole family if they want to take her. Hopefully they will since our cat already knows the area. Our other concern is, if after 2 weeks of being inside her new home, and then she goes out, (because the place is familiar to her) she goes back to our old home and no one is there. ☹️

3 hours ago, ireadthereforeiam said:

Today, someone from another block who also lives in EG visited to look at our cat. They haveto discuss first with their whole family if they want to take her. Hopefully they will since our cat already knows the area.

This sounds great and I sincerely hope this will work out and they take her. Fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, ireadthereforeiam said:

Our other concern is, if after 2 weeks of being inside her new home, and then she goes out, (because the place is familiar to her) she goes back to our old home and no one is there. ☹️

It's important that she isn't let out for at least 2 weeks (better even a week longer) so she first of all gets to know that this is where she gets her food on a regular basis and second she has the chance of getting to know her new owners and third she is given enough time to mark her new home with her pheromones by rubbing up against the furniture and door posts and also her new owners. This is a cat's way of making a new place and new people familiar and homely. A big help is also Feliway, which you could buy and give to the new family. She will probably hide in a corner the first few days and they should leave her to come to them of her own accord. 

In all probability, after she is let out, she will go back to her old home to check it out, but if no one is there, she'll return to her new home because after all that is where her food is - a big magnet not to be underestimated. It's best they give her the same food she is used to getting from you. Hopefully she is chipped? Just in case she goes missing and someone finds her.

9 hours ago, bramble said:

It’s important that she isn't let out for at least 2 weeks (better even a week longer) so she first of all gets to know that this is where she gets her food on a regular basis and second she has the chance of getting to know her new owners and third she is given enough time to mark her new home with her pheromones by rubbing up against the furniture and door posts and also her new owners. This is a cat's way of making a new place and new people familiar and homely. A big help is also Feliway, which you could buy and give to the new family. She will probably hide in a corner the first few days and they should leave her to come to them of her own accord. 

In all probability, after she is let out, she will go back to her old home to check it out, but if no one is there, she'll return to her new home because after all that is where her food is - a big magnet not to be underestimated. It's best they give her the same food she is used to getting from you. Hopefully she is chipped? Just in case she goes missing and someone finds her.

Oh, we will definitely do these. Thank you so much. This is extremely helpful. ❤️

Talk to your new landlord if (s)he'd tolerate a well-behaved cat like yours. Out of politeness because that clause isn't legally binding...

https://news.immowelt.de/n/1517-hunde-und-katzen-in-der-mietwohnung-bgh-kippt-haustierverbot.html

If so: Cats are adaptable, but a new home with their humans is preferable to a new home with strange people.

If and only if that doesn't work you should try to find a new home for your pet.

Speaking from experience. Our former cat was indoor (no balcony) - outdoor - indoor (OK; the latter with balcony, all with us).

I asked my friend but she does not know of anyone. I would, but my current cat only gets on with dogs and hens! Plus it is a wee bit too far.