New words or sayings

114 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, john g. said:

Evening, Keleth! I still don´t know what a bellend is! Google suggested a barking dog!

:lol::lol:

Next time you go for a piss have a look at that thing you`re holding in your hand and the shape of the end of it ;)

John.G, man of the world, ex hippy, lover of wives and girlfriends, father of a daughter and unknowingly owner of a  Bellend:lol:

22 hours ago, lisa13 said:

judgy

Ooooohhh, me likes judgy.  But I prefer judgy-wudgy.  sounds cuter.

I'll raise you a budgie?

eta:...yes I can hear it now (in bird voice) "you're such a jerk, such a jerk, such a jerk...chirp chirp waakaaak!"

(says judgy wudgy budgie)

good :)

(I wasn't at all insinuating that you are a jerk, just imagining what a judgy wudgy budgie would say)

16 minutes ago, French bean said:

John.G, man of the world, ex hippy, lover of wives and girlfriends, father of a daughter and unknowingly owner of a  Bellend:lol:

I have my priorities, French! Still marvelling at my new teeth aka bridge! I look in the mirror every morning and say " great new you-can-eat-meat-teeth! "

:lol:

The rest can wait!!!!

Just now, john g. said:

I have my priorities, French! Still marvelling at my new teeth aka bridge! I look in the mirror every morning and say " great new you-can-eat-meat-teeth! "

:lol:

The rest can wait!!!!

Meat and bellend in the same conversation, think you need to be careful John.

48 minutes ago, French bean said:

You forgot ex-con of Paraguay (vagrancy) :).

49 minutes ago, john g. said:

...Still marvelling at my new teeth aka bridge! 

Bridge of sighs john?

14 minutes ago, Techsmex said:

Bridge of sighs john?

O/T, but worth a chuckle.

When I took Vierling, then eight, to Venice we walked past St. Mark's and around the corner to the Bridge of Sighs.  V's nose turned pink and his eyes filled with tears: 'I though you said it was big,' he said.

19 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Finding good/decent coffee in the States is hard.

There is plenty of good coffee but they make it too thin most places.

On 11.8.2019, 11:42:56, fraufruit said:

Trying to pay bills, meet up with someone, etc. is dying. A total cop out.

Is this an American thing? 

If someone says to me that they are 'trying' to do something I always assume there is some level of challenge involved. So they may indeed be 'trying' to meet up, and that suggests several attempts to find a mutually convenient time, perhaps a failed attempt where they mistook time/place or whatever - you get my drift. To just use it instead of 'will' is quite bizarre.

I am waiting for the next time I hear it now...

On 11/08/2019, 11:42:56, fraufruit said:

I learned in a seminar that "trying is dying". The moderator had someone come up on the stage. He dropped a pen on the floor and told her to try and pick up the pen. She picked it up. He said that is not trying, that is doing and demonstrated a few more times with other people. That really stuck with me. I can try to pick up something and find out it is too heavy. That is trying. I can try a new recipe. Trying to pay bills, meet up with someone, etc. is dying. A total cop out.

That doesn't make sense to me. She tried to pick the pen up... and she succeeded. She might have failed to pick it up. But until she's tried to pick it up, we don't know what the outcome will be. Until she's tried she can't do. Your examples appear to relay on a subtext of "not actually doing something very useful about it".

Worn out, cranky, semi-retired English teacher replies:

There Is a difference between try +  to do and try + doing.

e.g.

If you say, " I really am trying to understand her point of view ,but...", then you are 'saying' that you are making an effort, that it's difficult, that it's a challenge  etc.

If your friend says to you, "Try seeing it from her point of view, then your friend is 'saying', give it a go, see what happens (outcome unknown - it might work , it might not), experiment with that strategy/way of doing etc.

There is a difference, and neither use is dying out.

I can't speak for english speakers from other lands, but the common thread, psychologically, when someone "tries" to do something that is actually very doable (picking up a pen, arranging a time to meet a friend, paying bills on time) when there is no tangible limitation it often is a sort of disclaimer that they very well may not do it.  If they were honest about what was "challenging" it would be something along the lines of "I don't really care about doing it but I know I should" or "I don't want to do it but I can't bring myself to just say no"  or even "I don't want to make a commitment yet/at all" etc.  so they say they will "try" to do whatever it is.  yes perhaps without doing anything useful to achieve it.

anytime someone says to me "oh sure, let's try to do that" with no qualifying information or suggestions for an alternate course of action, I make other plans ;)  

It would be interesting to know what kind of seminar that was where @Fraufruit heard that "trying is dying"  thing.

If it was a sales or Customer relations seminar, it  would make sense:

When e.g. an Electrian gets a call from a customer and says "Do you want me to come to your place tomorrow to try to solve the problem?", the business is sooner or later dying.

"Do you want me to come to your place tomorrow to solve the issue?" is what you want to convey to show confidence in what you're doing...  

3 hours ago, kiplette said:

If someone says to me that they are 'trying' to do something I always assume there is some level of challenge involved.

Trying to do something is perfectly fine.  It's 'trying and do something' that grates.

I guess that the whole trying thing clicked with me because I was one of those people who would say I'd try something and then never put an ounce of effort into doing it. I needed to hear/see that to better understand myself. I was not alone.

I'm with lisa13, "Let's try to meet up for coffee." = Ain't happenin'.