New words or sayings

114 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

was that in California per chance?  In NY where I grew up, you ordered a coffee by just by telling them how you wanted it.  Walk up to the counter "light with two sugars" or "light" or "black"...and nothing more, MAYBE throw in a "please" at the end if you were in uncharted waters :)   Of course if you were a regular you didn't have to say, just a "hey, how ya doin'" and they'd get the job done.

I think it was indeed in California, lisa! Originally, I ended up in Florida and I had never seen a McDonalds! The signs, sort of " two billion satisfied customers more than the other guys with only 1.5 billion " or something! This was the US I´d seen on the TV in Britain--Superman, cowboy films, cactus in Nevada...and you know...it was just like in the movies!

Death Valley, baby..fuck, that was hot, and my buddy Armenio had made sure there were about 50 cans of soft drinks in the car!

And we killed a rattle snake. Embarrassed till this day..it came towards me and we had a shovel in the car and I hit it on the head as much as I could out of fear.

Young, babe, young.

9 minutes ago, john g. said:

I think it was indeed in California, lisa!

I KNEW IT

don't get me started on deserts...creepy, dastardly places.  Awe inspiring, yes, but evil lurks.  And yet there seems to be a cop hiding behind every tumble weed.  not in a good way.

Ah, dear lisa...one particular cop..and that was maybe Arizona one evening..He saw me trying to flag a lift and made a signal for me to stay where I was. Luckily, there was a real bad guy (maybe?) and he stopped that car.

I made a run for it and hit behind bushes the whole  night.

I fell asleep and the next morning went back to the road and a truck driver said " get in quick, Smokey Bear is around " and off we went.

That´s the way it was. And I remember it well.

Staycation.  new term for a cheap bastard that cheats his family out of a good time.

9 hours ago, Lorelei said:

Oh, absolutely! I wonder if that's an error that's spread by people seeing it on social media, as "loose" instead of "lose" seems to be.

I think it`s maybe something to do with when people say "could`ve" that people think that`s could of so they write could of.

3 hours ago, silty1 said:

And what is it with issues?  Oh, that one, he's got issues.  No, they're problems. At least they used to be. 

I`ve always thought when someone said "he`s got issues" it meant they`re a bit mad rather  than they had a problem.

3 hours ago, john g. said:

Going back to my first time in the US, lisa, back in 1973. I first heard the term " can I get a coffee? ". I took an instant dislike to that and still hate it!

People hate me because when they say "have you got a light,or a couple of euros" or whatever I always say "yes I have thanks for asking"

I`ve only noticed this on American programmes it may be acceptable over there but people need to realise that prospective does not mean the same fucking thing as perspective.

"My prospective on that is..." sorry but that`s bollocks

Just now, silty1 said:

It just never existed before afaik, never heard it. You had problems in life you couldn't deal with.  Now you have issues.

I remember hearing it back in England and that was over 20 years ago.Always meant they were mad but sounds like its been changed to mean they have problems.

On 8/9/2019, 7:06:20, Keleth said:

could of instead of could have.

But "could of" is just a misspelling of "could've", isn't it?

BTW, when I see "could of" in print, it also hurts my eyes.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

I made a run for it and hit behind bushes the whole  night.

Hid behind bushes or you hit the bushes :) ?

1 hour ago, Techsmex said:

Staycation.  new term for a cheap bastard that cheats his family out of a good time.

so judgy - for shame!

it's also for the person (or people) that just wants to just dick around at home...do some home improvement projects, read books or work in the garden, maybe shave a few sweaters, and sleep.

17 hours ago, lisa13 said:

"could of" somehow reminds me of "try and"

I'm more of a coulda person myself. :lol:

I learned in a seminar that "trying is dying". The moderator had someone come up on the stage. He dropped a pen on the floor and told her to try and pick up the pen. She picked it up. He said that is not trying, that is doing and demonstrated a few more times with other people. That really stuck with me. I can try to pick up something and find out it is too heavy. That is trying. I can try a new recipe. Trying to pay bills, meet up with someone, etc. is dying. A total cop out.

13 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Hid behind bushes or you hit the bushes :) ?

Hid! My typo- sorry👍🏼

18 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Hmm, when I ordered a tea for breakfast at Denny's, the waitress brought me a cold ice tea? If you want an "European" tea, you have to say:"a hot tea." Silly me.

Why order a tea at Dennys it was one of the very few places I found in the USA where you can get a halfway decent coffee.

I always drink tea for breakfast and after that it's coffee 🤗. Thanks for the tip though. Finding good/decent coffee in the States is hard.

"So we was ....  and she turned round and said, like,  ... and he turned round and went,  like, ... and she went ... back and said ...."

(London core sentence structure.)

Makes you dizzy, innit?

Evening, Keleth! I still don´t know what a bellend is! Google suggested a barking dog!

:lol::lol: