Schadenfreude

67 posts in this topic

"To gloat" seems to have a similar meaning to "Schadenfreude".

 

Schadenfreude: boshafte Freude über das Missgeschick, Unglück eines andern (Duden)

to gloat: Dwell on one's own success or another's misfortune with smugness or malignant pleasure. (Lexico)

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no specific single-word translation of Schadenfreude, which is why it's one of the many German words that's used regularly in English. There are various words that convey partial definitions, but none as succinctly as the German.

 

Funnily enough, I found this on another forum this morning:

5dd3d2b7981b5_fark_lS69JMBdfaWju659ijJki

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2019, 12:32:33, El Jeffo said:

 

 

Funnily enough, I found this on another forum this morning:

 

 

 

are you cheating on us? :}

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/11/2019, 12:32:33, El Jeffo said:

There is no specific single-word translation of Schadenfreude, which is why it's one of the many German words that's used regularly in English. There are various words that convey partial definitions, but none as succinctly as the German.

 

Funnily enough, I found this on another forum this morning:

5dd3d2b7981b5_fark_lS69JMBdfaWju659ijJki

 

For me, to gloat has connotations that others can see and even join in the celebration of another's misfortune.

 

Schadenfreude seems to me gloating but it's more individual, more secret, more sneaky.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, tor said:

 

 

are you cheating on us? :}

We never said we had an exclusive relationship.

 

13 minutes ago, pmd said:

 

For me, to gloat has connotations that others can see and even join in the celebration of another's misfortune.

 

Schadenfreude seems to me gloating but it's more individual, more secret, more sneaky.

Yeah, that was my point when I said that there's no good translation.

 

For one thing, schadenfreude can be very open and obvious. For another, you can gloat about your own accomplishments in addition to the misfortunes of others.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ Lorelei & El Jeffo:

Generally speaking, I said all this - and somewhat more succinctly, too.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now