Schadenfreude

67 posts in this topic

...One of these German words where the translators of the world simply give up and roll with it. Feeling joy at the misfortune of others. That´s Schadenfreude.
Yesterday I heard in the news that an Italian national who had been been released for from clink for good behavior eighteen years ago with the stern warning never to return to Germany (I wonder what you have to do to get that) had been arrested after his flight to Croatia landed in Munich, he now has to spend the rest of his original sentence of three and a half years in the slammer.
In my minds eye I can see the poor guy in a cell thinking: "BUGGER!"
Or another good one, this is a while back.
Town center, a well dressed and elegant older blind guy was walking along the sidewalk. He did this with so much aplomb and confidence that I picked it up on my radar and watched a bit. His white stick sensing every crack and bump in the pavement. He came to the crossing feeling his surroundings with his stick and pushed the button on the traffic light.
The little buzzer went off and he stepped out into the street, totally in control, his stick bobbed up and down as a salute to any potential driver, he got to the other side, stepped up on the pavement. I am going to spend a little time in Hell for laughing. Turned to the left and with a resounding "CLANG" walked straight into a signpost.

So now then what was your best tale of Schadenfreude?

5 minutes ago, slammer said:

Y´all not understanding the concept of Schadenfreude.

No, its you who doesnt get it.

Shadenfreude isnt laughing at someone because they have downs, or because they are blind and well dressed. Thats being an asshole.

Shadenfreude is enjoying someones misfortune.

12 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

No, its you who doesnt get it.

Shadenfreude isnt laughing at someone because they have downs, or because they are blind and well dressed. Thats being an asshole.

Shadenfreude is enjoying someones misfortune.

Your point being?

1 minute ago, slammer said:

Your point being?

28 minutes ago, slammer said:

Y´all not understanding the concept of Schadenfreude.

16 minutes ago, silty1 said:

Oh doch. Feeling joy in others' pain. 

Not hard to understand is it?

4 hours ago, slammer said:

...One of these German words where the translators of the world simply give up and roll with it. Feeling joy at the misfortune of others. That´s Schadenfreude.

I think there has to be an element of culpability in the other person to truly savour it. That is, they brought the "schaden" purely on themselves and it's now for others to enjoy.

Yesterday I heard in the news that an Italian national who had been been released for from clink for good behavior eighteen years ago with the stern warning never to return to Germany (I wonder what you have to do to get that) had been arrested after his flight to Croatia landed in Munich, he now has to spend the rest of his original sentence of three and a half years in the slammer.
In my minds eye I can see the poor guy in a cell thinking: "BUGGER!"

Perhaps the man is a rogue and villain, but this is pretty silly. Nearly two decades is a long time. Normally, you cannot be put back in jail unless you break the terms of early release. Unless we're talking about some corrupt despotic shithole in central Asia or the Arabian peninsula, I somehow doubt simply waiting in an airport transfer lounge is a serious enough breach. I hope he lawyers up.  

Or another good one, this is a while back.
Town center, a well dressed and elegant older blind guy was walking along the sidewalk. He did this with so much aplomb and confidence that I picked it up on my radar and watched a bit. His white stick sensing every crack and bump in the pavement. He came to the crossing feeling his surroundings with his stick and pushed the button on the traffic light.
The little buzzer went off and he stepped out into the street, totally in control, his stick bobbed up and down as a salute to any potential driver, he got to the other side, stepped up on the pavement. I am going to spend a little time in Hell for laughing. Turned to the left and with a resounding "CLANG" walked straight into a signpost.

Maybe I've got a stick up my arse, but I don't find this funny either. 

So now then what was your best tale of Schadenfreude?

I recall a moment when I was a kid. Summer, parents driving us somewhere, and we were on the highway. Car beside us cruises past, window down, cigaretted hand dangling out. The driver horks up a big green smokey loogie and spits, and the wind carried it, perfectly, smack into his own face again. I can still remember his shuddering and shaking his face, grabbing the steering wheel, and my sisters and I, who had all seen it, laughing.

I think Schadenfreude is like karma, it's delighting in someone getting their just desserts. 

yes I agree with Tap.

and there is the milder form wherein you take some pleasure or even experience vicarious bonding in seeing someone falter a bit 

eg there is that antique slide at the Wiesn every year and people gather to watch and laugh at the daredevils who refuse assistance getting onto the conveyor belt to the top when they crash and burn.  It's all in good fun, and there is nothing mean spirited about it.  It's just "oh gosh look at that silly person...what are they thinking?" but accompanied by a sense of understanding that we've all been there in some form or another, at least metaphorically.  And even while laughing at their unnecessary struggle, we're all routing for the silly people...when they finally make it to the top there are cheers and applause all around in relation to how badly they performed.

that is schadenfreude too, IMO.

Well, there is no English expression/direct equivalent for the German "Schadenfreude".

On the other hand, there is no German expression for the English "Instant karma", there is just the proverb "Kleinen Sünden straft der liebe Gott sofort"  ("Little dirty deeds get punished immediately by God").

Schadenfreude comes up when observing that somebody gets her/his punishment for her/his misbehaviour on the spot ("Instant karma"). 

Like the bloke dangerously overtaking you in the 30km/h zone and getting stopped immediately by an unmarked car. Go figure, put "Instant karma" into Youtube.

"Schadenfreude" is not the observation of somebody suffering for no cause, like sniggering when a blind man walks into a lamppost, or being entertained when a lion eats a poor soul alive in the colloseum in ancient Rome: That's "Sadismus" in German or "sadism" in English.

Like I said, amma gonna spend at least a while in hell for laughing, but it´s such slapstick humor that you can´t not laugh, like somebody slipping on a banana peel as in a perfect clichee since Victoria was Queen. The guy wasn´t hurt or anything, more pissed off that he had missed that spot. Maybe I just have a weird sense of humor.

20 hours ago, slammer said:

Like I said, amma gonna spend at least a while in hell for laughing, but it´s such slapstick humor that you can´t not laugh, like somebody slipping on a banana peel as in a perfect clichee since Victoria was Queen. The guy wasn´t hurt or anything, more pissed off that he had missed that spot. Maybe I just have a weird sense of humor.

You still don't get it.

Because he mocked a handicapped person live on stage, and because he's just an all-round cuntified cunt of all cunts, Trump eventually developing a disease rendering his having to sit in a wheelchair and drool the rest of his life would give me an enormous sense of Schadenfreude.  I doubt if I'd be alone.

Now take the blind guy.  Were he to have heard your laughing, and by some miracle suddenly regain his sight, his coming over and whacking you across the head with his white cane would be another case where Schadenfreude would be justified.

21 hours ago, slammer said:

As others have mentioned, this, and what you described earlier is deffo *not* Schadenfreude ... .

Interesting one. The Wikipedia definition:

Schadenfreude (/ˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdə/; German: [ˈʃaːdn̩ˌfʁɔʏ̯də] (About this soundlisten); lit. 'harm-joy') is the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another.

Schadenfreude is a complex emotion, where rather than feeling sympathy towards someone's misfortune, schadenfreude evokes joyful feelings that take pleasure from watching someone fail. This emotion is displayed more in children than adults; however, adults also experience schadenfreude, though generally concealed

It doesn't mention anything about karma or the need for a retribution type element. So taking it at face value...I would say Schadenfreude.

Schadenfreude may Not be translateable 1:1 because it‘s a German thing, Imagine sombody slipping on a banana peel, you as a angelonic would Rush to that Person and give aid and hold hands until the Krankenwagen comes. A German would cockle over laughing.

You still don't get it.

If I, saw you, a stranger, slip on a banana skin and laughed without helping, that's asshole behaviour.

If I had just heard you being "funny" about the blind man and then saw you slip on said banana skin/bump into a lampost/insert equivalent mishap, I would feel a lot of Schadenfreude.

Note; one can have Schadenfreude and still go to help the twit who's had their just comeuppance.

And how I hate these ignorant generalisations about supposed German behaviour.