Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Capital Gain Tax on Financial Instruments

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am aware that there is a capital gain tax on financial instruments, but not sure if it depends as well from the instrument traded itself?
If the instrument has a high risk of capital loss, does it have less or no capital gain tax to be paid?

An example: I bought an option on an index and sold it later with a higher price on the market. Do I need to pay taxes on this capital gain?
My broker is DeGiro.

Thanks in advance!
Gledis 

As far as I know, Degiro already deducts the taxes at source. At the end of a year, you can print out a statement directly from the webtrader and use it when you file tax returns.

I might be wrong, someone please correct me if so.

24 minutes ago, generalmartok said:

As far as I know, Degiro already deducts the taxes at source. At the end of a year, you can print out a statement directly from the webtrader and use it when you file tax returns.

I might be wrong, someone please correct me if so.

Not really (taken from their website)

Bei DEGIRO erfolgt kein automatischer Abzug der Kapitalertragssteuer. Wir unterstehen ausschließlich der niederländischen Finanzbehörde und werden von dieser reguliert.

I looked at them when I changed brokers a couple of years ago and this was the deal-breaker for me. It's simpler to have an onshore broker that already deducts all the German taxes automatically for you.