Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Applying for US fast track amnesty

10 posts in this topic

Can anyone please recommend me an agency (online or whatever else) for filing my back taxes to the US with the fast track amnestry program? I've been paying in Europe for years now and was stupid...I didn't think I had to since I was under the double taxation limits.

I've been getting quotes but the amounts are all over the place, sometimes crazy high more than whatever penalties I could get. My situation tax wise is straight forward, I don't own any property or anything. I'm just looking to file the paperwork without breaking the bank to do it.

Any recommendations would be great well apperciated!

it's not that hard to do it yourself - I did - but if you want to hire someone, search for advisors using the term "streamlined filing procedure" - here is an example (this is not an endorsement, I've just noticed this site offers very clear explanations for a lot of tax issues).  I think the flat fee options are good as in theory there are no last minute surprises in cost. 

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com/blog/easy-steps-filing-us-expat-taxes-streamlined-procedures/

One thing to add: when doing the streamlined procedure, you’re not allowed to file electronically and the tax forms need to be physically signed and sent on American-sized letter paper. It took me 3-4 weeks to get my hands on some paper in Germany, which delayed my filing.. so make sure you find some paper before you reach the end of the process :) 

2 hours ago, willowhands said:

Really? 😣 my tax people insisted it had to be printed on letter sized paper. 

well yeah...normal printer paper (I think it's A4 technically but not positive) is letter sized.  It may be off by a few mm but anyway, that's what I use and have had no problems filing.

7 hours ago, willowhands said:

One thing to add: when doing the streamlined procedure, you’re not allowed to file electronically and the tax forms need to be physically signed and sent on American-sized letter paper. It took me 3-4 weeks to get my hands on some paper in Germany, which delayed my filing.. so make sure you find some paper before you reach the end of the process :) 

You could just get A3 paper and cut it to A4-size. Unfortunately, you can't cut A4 paper to letter-size because although letter-sized is smaller than A4 it's also slightly wider.

I considered that but I had over 100 pages to send.. too much trouble. in the end I found some paper from a company in Munich.