Bike shop overcharged. Where to complain?

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

I left my bike for repairs last weekend to change the brakes. For this change I was charged 115 Euro. Later when I shared this experience with colleagues they encouraged me to file a complaint but I do not know to where to do it Mannheim?

Thank you very much.

Didn't you ask for a price estimation first? Normally, you complain in the bike shop. Possibly, you could go to the Verbraucherzentrale.

OP, what type of bike is it and what was replaced? Bike parts can be ridiculously expensive so with parts, MwStr and labour, this could be a reasonable price. All depends on what was replaced.

Did you get a bill?

If so, why not post it here so we can see exactly what is listed on it...

60€ per hour is the 'average' cost for numerous occupations, to which the HWK feels and suggests to be the absolute minimum.  Hairstylists, leather workers (hint, hint), carpenters, bricklayers, mechanics, etc.  No clue what type of bicycle the OP owns nor the type of brakes or the extent of the work performed,  but I would think 115€ is quite reasonable.

Automobile work is governed by a set of rules for various works.  Example:  depending upon type of car, a water pump replacement should take 1 hour and 15 minutes.  A garage cannot charge for 5 hours of labour for this type of work, without declaring a bonafide and demonstrable reason.  I would imagine the same holds true for bicycles.

1 hour ago, sai123 said:

Hi,

I left my bike for repairs last weekend to change the brakes. For this change I was charged 115 Euro. Later when I shared this experience with colleagues they encouraged me to file a complaint but I do not know to where to do it Mannheim?

Thank you very much.

You joined Toytown in 2009  and this is your first ever post!

Ok, as others have said...did you not ask what it would cost?  A sign of the times..not taking responsibility for your own mistakes, sadly.

Many thanks for your reply. I was said it would cost 30 Euro. It is a city bike that is worth only 120 Euro. He changed the brake pads that would costs between 1-3 Euro each. It is a simple bike using  V-brakes. Of course, I did not want to pay 115 Euro but he said I cannot take the bike without paying this price. I felt helpless so just wanted to get out of the situation and deal with the issue later.

13 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Didn't you ask for a price estimation first? Normally, you complain in the bike shop. Possibly, you could go to the Verbraucherzentrale.

It is one man company and he is the owner. I would approach the Verbraucherzentrale.

You said he told you it would be 30€.  Did you ask him why it was 115€?  Of course you cannot take the bike without paying, but it seems you are leaving an important detail out of your story here.  Did he explain why there was a 85€ difference? 

4 hours ago, sai123 said:

Many thanks for your reply. I was said it would cost 30 Euro. It is a city bike that is worth only 120 Euro. He changed the brake pads that would costs between 1-3 Euro each. It is a simple bike using  V-brakes. Of course, I did not want to pay 115 Euro but he said I cannot take the bike without paying this price. I felt helpless so just wanted to get out of the situation and deal with the issue later.

Ok, that puts a different perspective on things. Sounds to me he is trying to take you for a ride (pardon the pun).

Could you ask a German colleague or two to accompany you to the bike shop and request full details why you were charged so much?

If the bike shop owner refuses to give back any money, then I would file a complaint. 

I would also leave an accurate review online if the shop has a web presence.

Good luck

18 hours ago, sai123 said:

Hi,

Thank you very much.

That seems like a fairly typical experience is a bike shop in Germany to be honest.  I once took a new set of wheels in, so that he could swap over my cassette from the old wheels to the new wheels (I didn't have a chain whip at the time).  He charged me over 50€ for it.

Others I know have paid 30€ to have an inner tube changed.

I doubt you will get anywhere with your complaints, you can just never go to him again and tell others to avoid him too. Unfortunately lots of people have no idea how easy small jobs on bikes are, so they (like in this thread) think that the price is fair. 

I work in a bike shop in the Sindelfingen / Böblingen area. When I initially read your post, I was convinced we're talking hydraulic disc brakes. In that case the price would make sense and could even be way higher. But for V-Brakes...

A pair of decent Shimano brake pads will cost roughly 10 bucks, maybe a bit more depending on the shop. Entry level pads would be at +/- 5 Euros. So that would be 10 to 20 Euros for the pads. Does the bill actually say what kind of pads they put on the bike? Or what the labor was, in terms of the time it took them to change the pads? I mean it's not like changing pads on V-Brakes takes an awful lot of time.

The whole thing is definetely weird. We wouldn't even keep / accept a bike in our shop without giving the customer a quote. You should at least leave them a horrible review on Google. Make sure you ask a native speaker for help. I mean most of their customers will be german after all...