Queen Mary II - in Hamburg

31 posts in this topic

Just in case you don't know, there's going to be another massive media event set around the arrival of the Queen Mary 2 on the 1st August 2005.

I'll be going out with local TV and Radio station, NDR to take too many photos! It looks like I'll be on board one of the tugs bringing the ship in. The agency who got the job of organising the media event has sadly refused to let me get on board or nearby. The event was amazing last year, when the ship first came to Hamburg. Cunard said they have never had such a welcome before. Thousands of people were lining the shores of the Elbe even at 5am last year... the Union Jack was being waved everywhere.

Security is very high, this time.

I've collected all the details and put them on my OUT & ABOUT page - see my profile, for my website.

If you want more details, please ask and I'll see what I can find. It could be difficult finding hotel rooms for those of you travelling from outside Hamburg.

I get about all over Germany yet I'm jealous of you Chris, Hamburg is the only German city I would ever consider moving to... wish I was on that tug with you... I also wish I could have been at Portsmouth when the big sails were in :(

I used to work in Marchwood opposite the Southampton Docks, apart from the Burma Endeavour taking up the whole front; it was kinda evocative seeing the QEII there.

Would love to see the QMII

I also wish I could have been at Portsmouth when the big sails were in...

Tell me about it! I wish I had managed to get there (Trafalgar 200). That's life! I watched it online. It was live during the entire event. Sadly, the quality of BBC streams leave a lot to be desired. The funny thing was, that the microphones were running in the background and you could hear people taking orders for ice-cream and a few dodgy words. UK coverage of the event was apparently poor due to the tennis.

Will add photos to my Hamburg Gallery as soon as possible after the event... Photos from last visit are already there. Also includes The Ark (HMS Ark Royal).

The Ark (HMS Ark Royal).

Where can we see the pictures? Would love to see them - I've been on the Ark Royal!

QUEEN MARY 2 - 1st August 2005, 6am to 11pm (times apply to the Cruise Terminal Hamburg).

HPIM4586-225.jpg

Photo: HamburgChris © 2004

We have been informed, unofficially, that the times above are no longer correct. NDR TV and RADIO are planning 30 minutes ahead of these times. We are planning one hour ahead of time. The ship arrived early last year and the QE2 left 30 minutes ahead of schedule on 8th July this year, so times do vary.

We have heard that a large cake in the shape of the QM2 is being baked and that slices of this cake will be sold for charity in the VIP area near the ship. We are hoping to visit the place where this cake is being baked beforehand, together with NDR. The VIP area is not open to the public and security is very tight indeed.

The ship will be turned in a very tight space with tugs. I have info that this will take place between 1pm and 2pm next to the Cruise Terminal.

All times are subject to change and any security scares will change everything.

The attacks in London have changed my plans. I cannot get on board and the tugs are no longer allowed to take media passengers. This may change, but this is my info so far. I should be in the VIP area, so the photos should be good. I might be on a boat going up river to meet the ship.

There will be parties and events going on for about 22 hours from about 3am on Monday, 1st August. This promises to be an amazing day and many thousands of people are expected to line the shores of the Elbe.

ARK ROYAL, QE2 & QM2 photos: click here and scroll slowly about half-way down for the Ark. If you have problems with the HAMBURG GALLERY, let me know.

19:00 hrs - This is for all of you who intend to watch the QUEEN MARY 2 sail into Hamburg tomorrow. The information we have, which could change at any time, is that it will reach Wedel near Hamburg by circa 03:30 hrs. The captain intends to slow down to a minimum and ride in with the tide/flood. The tide is flowing in the direction the ship is moving and this could have some influence on the times. The ship had already reached Germany as this post was added.

For those who are interested...

Queen Mary 2 coming for inspection to Hamburg. She will be here for 11 days from 8pm (will be dark) on the 8th November through to the 19th and will remain in dry dock during this time. The ship will be in the dry dock ELBE 17 opposite Landungsbruecken according to reports.

Story in German from the Spiegel magazine

The QE2 was in this dock, or nearby, during her last inspection as well. The work on the QM2 was put out to tender to other companies, but Blohm und Voss managed to get the work.

Other Hamburg/Elbe dates:

QM2, 16th July and 25th August 2006.

QE2, possibly 2007. No plans for 2005/2006.

QV1, still being built. Possibly 2006. No info. Could replace QE2 after 40th birthday celebrations in 2007. QV1 = Queen Victoria 1.

No decisions have been made where QE2 will be berthed when she is retired from service.

To see the QM2 when she arrives, but with a little more light, I suspect Cuxhaven would be the best place to go. Taking photos of moving ships in the dark is very difficult with digital cameras, unless the ISO setting is around 1600 or even 3200. Very few cameras have this option. If anyone knows any better, please post some suggestions.

Anyone who wants to see the ship will need a number of details, as some areas will be closed and the times have changed.

I was invited to the press conference yesterday, so I managed to get a few more details which I have added here. I also took photos of the dry dock.

Click >>>

The amount of information is much more than a regular post.

By the way, I was sent an invitation to go on board the historic Rickmer Rickmers, which is opposite the dry dock in which the QM2 will be checked. There is a download available by following the ''Click >>>'' link above. Be quick!

UPDATE - 11:20am today

NDR just told me that the QM2 might not be nudged into dry dock at 20:00, due to tidal problems.

If the ship is not put into dry dock today, she should be turned and nudged into dry dock tomorrow! The ship will then berth overnight at the Cruise Terminal and should be turned there.

I'm currently waiting for an answer from Blohm & Voss, owners of the dock.

I'm off at 12:30 to report on the landing of the A380. If I get a chance to get back before going into the harbour, I'll update the news - if not click below.

News here: http://news.google.de/news?hl=de&ned=de&ie...&q=Queen+Mary+2

Ship was not put into dry dock. The tide was not high enough. It'll now take place at 8am on the 9th. The ship has been turned already.