Moving back to uk - Pension Question

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have worked and lived in Berlin for about 9 years and am intending to move back to Britain in the next few months. My question is this: how does the affect my pension contributions that I have paid while in Germany this time?

Do I lose them? Do I cash out? What happens when i abmelden? 

6 hours ago, Chris1479 said:

how does the affect my pension contributions that I have paid while in Germany this time?

Do I lose them?

No.

Do I cash out?

No.

What happens when i abmelden? 

Nothing.

Under the current rules you apply for a pension when you reach the retirement age. 

I would recommend to make an appointment for a Kontoklärung at the DRV ASAP. Take copies of all your transcripts since you turned 17. Take a copy of your CV with you to help you remember dates of when you worked where. Having all your contributions sorted out now is easier than waiting till retirement. 

What do you mean by transcripts? I didn't live in Germany when I was 17 I moved here when I was 22

On 28.7.2019, 14:33:53, Chris1479 said:

What do you mean by transcripts? I didn't live in Germany when I was 17 I moved here when I was 22

It doesn't matter. It is possible to receive credit for the time you spent attending certain types of schools after the age of 17. I'm not sure of the exact financial impact (and the rules keep changing), however, the DRV wants to know what you were doing since you were 17 in order to calculate your pension entitlement and it is better to sort out all of this now when it is easier to find the documents (and you have a better chance of remembering what you were doing).

On 28.7.2019, 07:53:33, engelchen said:

Under the current rules you apply for a pension when you reach the retirement age.

But be aware that any pension the OP gets from the German state will be taxed from the first Euro by Germany.

In this respect the German Finanzamt is much more unfriendly than HMRC - cos the other way around HMRC would still give you the tax-free allowance but the FA does not when you are resident outside Germany.