Mutual Fund Management Expats

11 posts in this topic

Dear all, we recently were told that we cannot keep our investment accounts in the U.S due to regulation. We are registered and working and paying taxes in Germany but go to the U.S. often. They just have to be in compliance with U.S. law which we understand.

Does anyone have any recommendation for a firm with a branch in Berlin for expats that can advise and manage young portfolios? We probably will retire in Germany so this is for the long term project.

We want to avoid paying exorbitant fees of course. We also started looking at Robinhood but that seems based in the U.S. too, is there a good German alternative? Can it be in other EU locations. The other note is that my partner is both an EU and US citizen. So we need someone who can advise on regulation in both Germany and the U.S.

We found https://www.crcie.com/about-us/

Anyone know them?

Looking online has been a bit overwhelming!

Recommendations welcome!

Thanks, Alexa

30 minutes ago, anon7 said:

we recently were told that we cannot keep our investment accounts in the U.S due to regulation.

And your partner is a U.S. citizen? Who told you that? 

Thanks for chiming in! I pressed return too quickly, here is my edit. Sorry

I am a US citizen only, my married partner is both a Dutch and U.S. citizen. We are solidly in the system of Germany in taxes and health care

It was someone at Edward Jones who said we needed to move our accounts.

Honestly it all seems like gray zones when I read about it online. We were told it has to do with us being registered in Berlin.

It is not THAT daunting, anon7!! Starshollow is very approachable and with a friendly staff. Contact him!

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Hey there

https://degiro.de  is a good discount broker you might want to consider. 

Also, from a tax perspective you might know more - but you have to pay the US taxes if you have US passport (correct me I am wrong here :))

Cheers

Kay

Thank you all for the feedback, (John G) I will definitely look into Patrick Ott since the tax issues are scary to us. The advice to leave the US management was precautionary according to them. As a side note: we have a U.S. address but that may change as my parents move into a retirement home. So EdJ suggested we stay in compliance.

Yes, if you have a U.S. passport you still have to report taxes to the U.S. and we do.

Are there any similar online platforms like Robinhood for the EU? Just curious!

Thank you all! :ph34r:

On 27.7.2019, 05:05:53, anon7 said:

Thank you all for the feedback, (John G) I will definitely look into Patrick Ott since the tax issues are scary to us. The advice to leave the US management was precautionary according to them. As a side note: we have a U.S. address but that may change as my parents move into a retirement home. So EdJ suggested we stay in compliance.

Yes, if you have a U.S. passport you still have to report taxes to the U.S. and we do.

Are there any similar online platforms like Robinhood for the EU? Just curious!

Thank you all! :ph34r:

while we have been advising all Expats in insurance and investment issues since 2006, we have worked out a special investment strategy for US-Expats since summer 2017 when it was clear that starting January 2018 the taxation in Germany of foreign investment funds (i.e., for instance, US-domiciled funds) became so much easier and is now the same as for investment funds from Germany, Ireland or Luxemburg.  in consequence, since then we can advise US-nationals with US-domiciled investment funds which is the only thing that makes really sense for them. And there are still a few banks/plattforms available in the US that are content to deal with people who do not have a residence in the US anymore. 

If you look at our website, you'll notice that we strongly believe in passive investment funds (ETFs etc). If you like our basic investment philosophy etc, lets have a chat soon to discuss what you already have, what you want to achieve and then we can see if we'd be a good match for you...

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.