Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mobilcom Debitel Scam?

5 posts in this topic

Yesterday I got a call from my ex-wife that a Signature-required package delivery, addressed to me,  was attempted at her address (my previous address).

I picked up the package today at the Post Office near her home, and inside was a new Handy, a SIM card, a bogus contract, and a letter stating, "Here is the new phone you ordered."

I did no such thing, and I have never been a customer of Mobilcom Debitel.  I did some quick checking on the web, and found other people complaining about the same thing, and discussing bills / Mahnungen received from Mobilcom for phones and service they didn't request.

In the US, I could just ignore future requests for payment for an unsolicited item, but it seems that it may not work that way here.

What should I do?  I have no use for a new contract, and even if I wanted a new phone, the delivered phone is a Huawei, which is prohibited for use by my employer.

Does it come with a note on how to return it? Tried taking it to the post to see if they can print out return papers? Tried the Mobilcom Debitel Website? I used to be a customer and as I recall they weren't horrible. Maybe somebody signed you up with them as a joke.

It doesn’t appear to be a joke.  It’s looking like someone attempted to use my name and prior address to fraudulently obtain goods and services.

Just in case anyone cares...

It appears that there was indeed a scam attempt.  Apparently someone at a local Mobilcom dealer was mining public records for names/addresses of people with foreign / non-German names, and using this information to create falsified contracts to pump up his sales numbers.

After I spent several days writing letters, meeting with the Polizei, making phone calls, and trips to the Post, my issue seems to be resolved.