Discriminatory speech and bullyng by landlord

72 posts in this topic

Thank you all for your support. For the peace of my mind, I am just going to pay him rent for August. It is just 250 Euro anyway. I am going to do a job here for Aug and Sept and after talking with Mitverein , take him to court. Will the legal expenses be below 1k? I will also make a  report of everything he did and said. I am now completely ignoring him and focusing on my exams. I just want to finish my Master and leave Germany to USA or Canada for phd. Thank you again!!

I am confused. You are living in Bremen now since when? Why didnt you send him notice of moving out an cancelling the rent? It sounds like you are not studying in Bremen so having a place in Aachen is not really  what you need? Umm huh? 

2 minutes ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

Why didnt you send him notice of moving out an cancelling the rent?

I don't think this is good advice. OP has an appointment with the Mieterverein who should be the ones short of a lawyer, who should give such advice.

There is also nothing confusing. Did you read the entire thread? OP moved in with friends because the "room" is unlivable because of rain etc. leaking in.

25 minutes ago, Eraaa said:

For the peace of my mind, I am just going to pay him rent for August

For your peace of mind and to not give him the chance to sue you or terminate the contract before the Mieterverein has had a chance to help you.

1 minute ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

But Bremen-Aachen is 300 miles one way minimum. Its not like you moved 2 streets away.

I don't know if you have gone to university in Germany, but it is not always necessary to live in the same town. If OP doesn't have classes to attend then they don't have to actually physically go in. If all that is left is to give exams, defend thesis, they can go in just for that. I knew a guy who defended his Masters thesis on skype because he messed up his visa. He did lose a whole grade though. It seems to be 4.5 hours by train and if the OP has a NRW semester ticket I imagine train ride is free even.

31 minutes ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

But Bremen-Aachen is 300 miles one way minimum. Its not like you moved 2 streets away.

@Wherearewegoingto I will have summer holidays for August and September and some exams in between. I missed like about 10 days classes and seminars. I have no other place to go except for Frankfurt and Bremen. Obviously, I don't want to stay there after what he said. 

2 hours ago, Eraaa said:

@Wherearewegoingto

@generalmartok Yes, I am living in Bremen since Monday. I study in Aachen but after the rain enter inside, I just moved out.

received_2287292821326367.jpeg

received_1336525239832408.jpeg

For the peace of my mind, I am just going to pay him rent for August

Eraaa, based on these pictures, you are eligible for a reduction in your monthly rent due to inadequate living quarters that needs repair. If I were you, I wouldn't pay August rent until you speak directly with the mieterverein to ask them how much of a rent reduction you are entitled in accordance with the housing law. 

In fact,  you were eligible for a rent reduction when you first notified him via email there was rain water coming in and until he fixed the repair problem each month you were eligible for a rent reduction.  However, you can't get a rent reduction retrospectively. 

Here's the source of the below quote listed under item 6 (repairs).

Until the defect has been repaired, the rent can be reduced by an appropriate amount. However, seek advice before you reduce the amount of rent you pay, as an unjustified reduction leaves you at risk of having your tenancy terminated by the landlord.

And please change your locks asap. The guys seems to be such a prick that I wouldn't put it past him to mess up the place while you are gone just to make trouble. Changing a lock is not that hard though that depends on the lock that is in there at the moment.

And best take a friend with you when you go there. It's always good to have a witness.