Discriminatory speech and bullyng by landlord

72 posts in this topic

Dear folks, 

I am a student (2nd sem Master) in RWTH Aachen from Nepal. I rented a wg zimmer during the beginning of my first semester. At the time, I didn't know that the room he is renting is actually illegal. It is just a modified garage and sleeping is not allowed. The roof of this garage (he calls hobby raum) is not designed for strong rain and snow and the water enters easily. I mentioned him several times before, but water still leaks everytime it rains heavy. Some days before, during storm and rain, water leaked inside and destroyed my laptop. I was outside in kaufland when it happened. When I mentioned this to him, his email was:

For such a strong storm as the other day, the roof construction is not designed. Be glad that you are not in Kathmandu, there the houses are flooded.

I find this extremely sad and rude. I didnot expect this to happen in germany. I lost my mother during earthquake and natural disasters are very sentimental for me. I am immediately moving out of this place and temporarily living with my friend. Obviously, I want to have my kaution back for new renting. How should I proceed, folks? This landlord lives in the same house and entered into my room without my permission several times. I have 3 documented proofs of such happening. Now, this is too much. 

I am hoping for your feedbacks. 

Thank you for reading it.

@RedMidge 

Thank you for your feedback. I wanted to first ask my landlord deposit back and if he doesn't respond positively, report to mieterverein. Should I just go to mieterverein without asking deposit first?

6 hours ago, Eraaa said:

@RedMidge 

Thank you for your feedback. I wanted to first ask my landlord deposit back and if he doesn't respond positively, report to mieterverein. Should I just go to mieterverein without asking deposit first?

My advice: play your cards as best as possible. If he gives you the deposit back, you already have the money in your hand.

Later you can decide to escalate.

Advanced issues found

19 hours ago, Eraaa said:

It is just a modified garage and sleeping is not allowed.

Are you renting it as an office? Where do you sleep?

@Smaug

I am sleeping there also. Below my sleeping space, there is a garage.He didn't mention that it is illegal. I used to leave my cold drinks on windows, and he said that I cannot leave it there because somebody else can see that. It was weird. When I asked why not, he mentioned that it is not allowed to sleep there. This was after 7 months he rented. Toilet and bathroom are in the main house not in this hobbyraum(garage). 

received_486606518482255.jpeg

received_2146034532382354.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Eraaa said:

I am sleeping there also. Below my sleeping space, there is a garage.He didn't mention that it is illegal.

Concerning illegal: Where are you registered to live at the moment? 

36 minutes ago, franklan said:

Concerning illegal: Where are you registered to live at the moment? 

I am registered from the same adress as the house owner. We have a contract and he gave me registration form for city.

Thank you for your feedbacks. I will definitely go to mitverein aachen. I will also give my rentcancelation letter to him tomorrow. 

Don't do that until you've spoken with someone at the Mieterverein. You don't want to do anything that might harm your case later.

If he's been charging you money for space that's not suitable for habitation, for example, you could be entitled to a partial or full refund of your payments.

second that!

there is no hurry anyway as sending the kündigung tomorrow won't give you any advantage over doing it next week.  If the place is truly "illegal" as a living space you may not have to observe normal notice periods anyway, which may be an advantage, too.

If you can't speak with someone at the mieterverein before the end of the month...maybe a different story.  But for now, focus on getting in with the them ASAP before you do anything else.  

please let us know how it goes

I think you're making a wise decision to get out of this place as soon as possible. The tenor and tone of that email was condescending and insensitive to your problem in that space. I would have been offended too with his outrageous reply to your concern.  Your homeland had absolutely nothing to do with the rain coming into your room and he should not have mentioned it to try to minimize the issue with his substandard housing.  Clearly, with that email he doesn't have any respect for you as a renter or as a person. He's just interested in your money.

You may want to even  consider talking to the mieterverein about him compensating you for your damage laptop and any thing else that was damaged. It's probably some mold issues there as well since the place isn't completely sealed from incoming moisture.

Looking at your pic, that ladder to the sleeping area looks perilous and a safety hazard. 

Good luck.

Thank you for your very helpful suggestions. I am not going to send him my kündigung. I have contacted mietverein and Student AsTA. 

My landlord emailed me saying that his house insurance will cover my laptop damage. He is asking me my new adress for insurance. Me and my friend are afraid to give him this adress. He might be angry with me and have bad intentions. I will talk with lawyers about this. He is also pressuring me to give kündigung. 

Some evidences about his illegal apartment. He sent me this email when I left my cola for cooling on window rims:

"Hallo  ****, hier ein paar Dinge zur Erinnerung.

5.      Keine Cola außen auf dem Fenstersims abstellen. Du wohnst in einem Hobbyraum. Wohnen und schlafen ist dort eigentlich nicht erlaubt. "

It was nowhere in the contract that he will be giving me illegal room. I originally room visited for other room inside his house. He also showed me this anbauzimmer. We agreed for the room inside the house. However, the contract he sent me to sign was for anbauzimmer. I took it anyway since I was nervous about finding a place. He never mentioned it was not allowed to stay there. And now heavy rain and snow enters inside everytime. His suggestion was to put pots where water enters. This is very stupid. His email:

"

You still have pots in the room, which you should place there where it rains in a storm.

"

It is not like water is leaking from one place. There are so many holes and I don't know how many pots and where I should put them. What if I am not in my room?

@Lavender Rain Yes, the ladder to sleeping space is also very dangerous. I am afraid of falling down everytime I go up and down. I also find his email about disaster in Kathmandu very rude. Many people are dying in South Asia due to floods. I don't understand what the Monson in kathmandu has to do with rain in Germany. 

Thank you folks for your support. I hope he gets punished for what he does and says.

holy crap what a terrible and stupid man. 

glad your laptop will be covered though!  this is great news.   I think the insurance company will need your current address, legitimately.  Maybe you can contact them directly to give them your info - definitely best to ask the mieterverein.

When you have left and everything is sorted, you might also want to report him to Finance amt.  If he is renting out an illegal room, I would suggest that there is a high probability that he is not declaring this in his taxes!

Mieterverein? Way too inefficient, go to the Info at the Gemeinde where you are registered and tell them, don´t wait too long or you could be seen as complient.

Simply put, you can not live there and to continue to do so is to be Mitverantwortlich.

2 hours ago, slammer said:

continue to do so is to be Mitverantwortlich.

How can OP be complicit when they moved in with a friend, sought advice and is going to meet with the Mieterverein to be advised about further steps?

@Eraaa I suggest you not respond to the landlord until you have spoken to the Mieterverein. Make sure to include all the obnoxious stuff he said to you. Also, tell them that the room you had seen and agreed was not the room you ended getting. Goodluck and let us know how it went